SKYCAM

Formulae for weights on flags??

Hey wise folks out there, have been asked to build a few flag bags for a client.

No great issue, but am concerned about the weight bags I need to create.

May sound stupid, but is there a formulae for suspended weight v's square footage of flag?

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted!!

Other's will have better answers than I... my largest being 6'x10', but I have picked up a few points that my be useful...

The weight I needed varied quite a bit based on:
- flag/fabric type and construction... both varied the amount of drag the weight had to overcome. (the weight of the flag itself helps, but usually at a greater cost in drag).

- canopy speed changes the equation a lot as well. The higher the speed, the greater the weight needed to keep the same/equivalent suspended angle/bow.

A final note given me about big flag (haven't had the chance to test this yet...) many report that the big flags fly much better/straighter when the weigh is integrated along the leading edge (think a multi-compartment tube of lead shot sewn to that edge) rather than a large weight at the bottom.

As always, flying flags is a completely different type of canopy flight and should be treated as its own discipline with all the thought/consideration and focus on the new safety issues that come with it.

Blue Skies / Colorful Flags,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

A quick update on my project.

Hope to have close enough to start reinforcing the load bearing points & reinforcing leading edge, then building a carry/ deployment system.

Stay tuned for updates & thanks for the advice you folks have offered!!

Something that big you're probably going to need leading edge weight, a primary weight to suspend from the lower leading edge. and also a trailing edge weight.if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoh5HG-F2o you'll see the trailing edge lifting. This is what the trailing edge weight is used for. It pulls the tail of the flag down and keeps it stretched out.
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Cheers, am working on starting with 20 kilos at base (leading edge) & air scoops along the tail )to hold flag taught. And will work up to heavier as we do a few jumps.

That flag is awesome, any idea of what the weight was to hold it taut?

Very gutsy effort on the jumper!