Mleadley

Vector 348 canopy guidelines

Hey guys

Just after some info on the guidelines for the 348, essentially I have seen that it can take a pulse 190 down to a 140.

Has anyone managed to squeeze a regular 190 into a 348 container? Been offered a sabre 2 190 that I like and wondered if it would actually fit, even if it's not ideal by upt standards.

So what's your experiences on what containers will actually fit compared to what's recommended?

My container is ordered but not due for a while so I can't see if it will actually fit yet.

Thanks in advance

Mleadley

Hey guys

Just after some info on the guidelines for the 348, essentially I have seen that it can take a pulse 190 down to a 140.

Has anyone managed to squeeze a regular 190 into a 348 container? Been offered a sabre 2 190 that I like and wondered if it would actually fit, even if it's not ideal by upt standards.

So what's your experiences on what containers will actually fit compared to what's recommended?

My container is ordered but not due for a while so I can't see if it will actually fit yet.

Thanks in advance

The answer is, it depends.

I've got a Safire-2 169 in my 348 and it's a pretty snug fit along with an Optimum-176 reserve. If you're a good packer, then you may be able to shoehorn a 190 in there, however then you have to think about reserve sizes. No point in getting a smaller reserve just to save some space.

If you're jumping something in the 190 range, your reserve should be in that range as well and you should size your container accordingly.

There is nothing sexy about an overstuffed rig and going up to a size that would accommodate your canopies better will look better and at arms length, you probably couldn't tell the difference in the .5" or 1" change. It will look better and be easier to pack.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I just packed a 176 optimum in a 348 with a 170 sabre 2. It was definitely a firm fitting main. I think the owner will have problems as he has only 30 jumps. I'm expecting he will go to a 150 by the end of the season so it will be comfortable then.

I knew at the outset that it was going to be tight so I made sure the reserve was short and square at the bottom.

Forget about a 190. It's a bad idea.

-Michael

hackish

I just packed a 176 optimum in a 348 with a 170 sabre 2. It was definitely a firm fitting main. I think the owner will have problems as he has only 30 jumps. I'm expecting he will go to a 150 by the end of the season so it will be comfortable then.

I knew at the outset that it was going to be tight so I made sure the reserve was short and square at the bottom.

Forget about a 190. It's a bad idea.

-Michael

Yeah, mine is pretty firm as well, but I also had to put a lot of the bulk in the bottom to get the yoke to form around my shoulders better.

I think the OP should just buy the right sized container since it looks like he's planning on ordering it anyways.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks everyone.

I know the pulse is a low pack volume main which is why you can fit it in a 348, it is generally a 150 container which can take a 170.

To be honest il probably wait until I can fly a 170 as that should only be a few months and not worry about getting a 190, il happily stay on rental gear until then.

Depends, are you in Florida, or Denver? Humidity matters.

Depends, do you want the extra wear and tear that over stuffing a rig will cause?

Depends, do you want to be a test jumper? The manufacturer made those size guidelines for a reason.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I jump a Vector 3 size 348 since 2003. In the first one, I had a Sabre 2-170 and a PD 160 reserve. In the second one, I have a Katana 170 and a PD reserve 160 (see picture). Both packs were tight but not excessively. That size of Vector (348) should accommodate a Pulse 190 and a PD reserve Optimum 176. The Pulse is a hybrid parachute having the top made of zero porosity material while the bottom is made of low porosity fabric therefore packing relatively small. And the Optimum 176 reserve should pack at about the same volume than a normal PD 160 reserve.
But putting a Sabre 2-190 in a Vector3-248 is too much.
Obviously, the Vector 3-348 can accommodate a Sabre-2-150, a Katana 150 with the reserve PD 160. I tried a Katana 150 in mine without any problem.
Consult the Vector compatibility chart(available on Internet) or phone UPT Vector.
Here is a picture showing my Vector 3-348 (with Katana 170 and PD reserve 160).
I am a rigger and have never been struggling to close both reserve and main containers.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.