BKS60

Round Reserve with Deployment Bag

I'm currently practicing and studying to attempt to get a Senior Rigger Cert. and looking for a round reserve to practice on. It does not need to be airworthy since it will only be used for practice packs. Have not had any success locating one in my area.
Any help would be appreciated.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

BKS60

I'm currently practicing and studying to attempt to get a Senior Rigger Cert. and looking for a round reserve to practice on. It does not need to be airworthy since it will only be used for practice packs. Have not had any success locating one in my area.
Any help would be appreciated.

Are you specifically looking for a Round Reserve or any Round will do? I have couple of rounds that I got, to practice packing. I am not sure if they are air worthy or if they are Reserves or if they have a deployment bag. I can send one of them to you if it will work for you.

PM me your shipping details and I can send one your way, in next couple of days.

Looking for a reserve canopy with tray. The DPRE I will be going to would like me to have packed one at least a few times so I have at least a basic idea of the principles and techniques.
If you have one I would happily pay the shipping to me and return shipping back to you when i finish. And beer!!! :)

Can anyone think of a round reserve with a deployment bag? A quarter bag or POD style thing maybe, from the military? Would have to search my Poynters.

(EDIT: Looked it up. An example is the USAF B-5 bailout rig, which has a quarter bag for the C-9 canopy.)

Even if thinking of a sleeve, a round reserve with that is super rare. (eg, Strong Aerosport)

Although I'm picking up on the "with a deployment bag" thing, perhaps you are just looking for any round reserve to do practice packs on. 99% of which have no bag or sleeve or anything like that. Carry on.

The most common round reserves back when they were commonly in use in skydiving either had no deployment device, or a diaper.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi BKS,

Never had any experience with one

For starters, go to the National Parachute website, the ParaPhernalia website, the Strong Enterprises website, etc, and look at their packing manuals. This will be your first education in 'experience' with them.

After you understand how they pack, then start looking. Allen Silver sometimes has old, outdated pilot rigs that you might be able to borrow for practice.

Jerry Baumchen

Are you looking for a rating that you never plan to use? Ie to work in a packing tent? The important part I didn't see is what position you were looking for. I bought a T10R (sorry no d-bag) and packed it 80 times for my master rating and it was under $100.

You could talk to Marc Nadeau - I think he's the distributor for National and if there is anyone I know who would have a diaper type round it's him.

-Michael

hackish

Are you looking for a rating that you never plan to use? Ie to work in a packing tent? The important part I didn't see is what position you were looking for. I bought a T10R (sorry no d-bag) and packed it 80 times for my master rating and it was under $100.

You could talk to Marc Nadeau - I think he's the distributor for National and if there is anyone I know who would have a diaper type round it's him.

-Michael

Yes I did leave type out. (Back) No packing tent for me. Just there are still a lot of questions that are about rounds in the testing.

Are you looking for a round in a pilot emergency bailout rig?
Or an old round reserve in a sport rig?

The first is actually fairly common. Acrobatic pilots (both power and glider) use them. So do 182 jump plane pilots (one of the STC reqs is that everyone on board have a rig on).

The second, not so much. I think I know one or two jumpers who have rigs so old that they still have a round reserve in them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He is in the US. While not all DPRE's or FAA inspectors require it, I and my inspector require a senior rigger candidate to pack a round and a ram air for a back rating. As a Senior Rigger, Back rating, they have a license to pack both pilot emergency rigs with rounds and skydiver rigs with rounds. So my inspector's opinion and my opinion is they need to pack both for the practical test. So not for a rating he will never use.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

pchapman

Can anyone think of a round reserve with a deployment bag? A quarter bag or POD style thing maybe, from the military? Would have to search my Poynters.

He didn't know he didn't need a deployment bag. But the Preserve V from Freeflite uses a deployment bag. And you need line stow hooks. I've service two many times.

http://freeflightent.com/forms/PV_Pack_Inst_V.pdf
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think I was not descriptive enough. What I was trying to express is that doing all 20 of your supervised packs using a round is not a good idea. It was common a while ago for people to just do a chest rating to get their ticket just to have it.

-Michael

JerryBaumchen

Hi BKS,

Never had any experience with one

For starters, go to the National Parachute website, the ParaPhernalia website, the Strong Enterprises website, etc, and look at their packing manuals. This will be your first education in 'experience' with them.

After you understand how they pack, then start looking. Allen Silver sometimes has old, outdated pilot rigs that you might be able to borrow for practice.

Jerry Baumchen

The second step is finding a grumpy, old, grey-bearded rigger to teach you how to pack rounds.
Hah!
Hah!

I'm old and grumpy but not much grey hair yet, certainly no beard.

And about all I do these days are rounds. But spent today teaching an old grumpy grey-bearded rigger how to pack ram-airs.:P That a lot harder than teaching a newbie to pack rounds!

Right Jim?

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Not much point to earning a chest rating these days.
Chests were slowing retiring when I earned my first rigger rating back in 1984.
Last time someone asked me to assemble a chest reserve, it took me most of a year to accumulate all the parts.

For example, I have only packed 50 chest reserves, but more than 300 seat packs and more than 4,000 back type parachutes.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

I'd rather pack a round than a ram-air reserve any day...

I'm currently doing some training of a local jumper to get his Master ticket. He now says the same thing.

Jerry Baumchen

So does the Senior rigger that built the first 12 SST's for Sherman in the 70's who I'm training to pack ram air rigs.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE