TomAiello

The Da Vinci Code

Alright so I'm about a year late for this thread, but I just finished The DaVinci Code and thought it was really interesting.
I liked the complexities of the code breaking. There was enough drama to keep it on a fictional level of entertainment but enough "fact" to give you something to relate to, pertaining to biblical knowledge.

I'm a Christian and was not offended at all. Christians know that the Bible is a collection of translations and is to be studied, but not taken literally. We also know that theres a lot more to the life of Christ than what is detailed in The Bible.

I didn't take this book to be factual, but thought it to be a good read.

Now I want to go have a look at The Last Supper in detail..

you are very generous! I agree, I loved the book, even tho as a "good Catholic" (is there any other kind) I am supposed to be offended because we "good Catholics" are supposed to take the bible literally. Of course we have always known that the translation of the bible that we read is different than alot of other Christian sects, and is only what was spoon fed to us by the 13th Century pope who decided that he was the only one who could decide what did and did not make it to print.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

no I'm not a member of Opus Dei:D

Anyway, re. Brown's book, you can find plenty of refutations of his theories etc... But his book is just a good example of how if you want to find symbolism or patterns in something, you can. even if you have to make stuff up to support it.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Are you a member of Opus Dei?

What a question :S
Who ever would confirm beeing a member?

:)

Well, that's my point. How can anyone know what Opus Dei is or is not when it's a secret society? Either Speedracer is a member and broke his secrecy oath, or he's a member and deliberately misled us, or he's not a member and doesn't know if it's actually a conspiracy or not.

I don't see the point of secret societies unless they are conspiring about something.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Speaking as someone who was raised Catholic... Opus Dei is a F-ED UP organization. Opus Dei members came onto my college campus (a Jesuit Catholic School) uninvited to try to recruit and our campus ministry department passed out fliers with all kinds of info urging students to stay away from this cult. Course, me, being curious, went out of my way to talk to the members and ferret out my own info.

My conclusion:
Josemaria Escriva (founder of opus dei) was a nutjob. Don't take my word for it, though. Go read his books.

Here's a site with more accurate info on Opus Dei. http://www.odan.org

It's really a very scary organization when you take a look at the inner workings of it. Most members only see the fellowship aspect, and opus dei is quite different when one gets further into the organization. When someone chooses to get further involved with the opus, they lose much of their personal freedom and give up their own rational thought to parrot Josemaria Escriva. They live in houses owned by the opus and are strongly encouraged to cut ties with any non-opus members, including immediate family. Members don't have the freedom to choose what books they read, their mail is opened and read by people "watching over" them.

And yes, for those of you having read the Da Vinci Code, Opus Dei members really do use a cilice.

It's really a very scary organization when you take a look at the inner workings of it. Most members only see the fellowship aspect, and opus dei is quite different when one gets further into the organization. When someone chooses to get further involved with the opus, they lose much of their personal freedom and give up their own rational thought to parrot Josemaria Escriva. They live in houses owned by the opus and are strongly encouraged to cut ties with any non-opus members, including immediate family. Members don't have the freedom to choose what books they read, their mail is opened and read by people "watching over" them.

Hey, that's kinda like Scientology. I wonder if I'm gonna get attacked for making this post.
This ad space for sale.

oh, alright. for all I know maybe Opus Dei is a f&*ked up organization. I haven't really researched them too much.

all I'm saying is that they are not a secret organization. And that it seems that the majority of them lead their own lives, and it is only a small minority of members take the extra step where they take vows of celibacy & do the whole bit where they give all their money to the organization etc etc.

actually Nightngale's description makes it sound like this religious group we had running around in Boston called the Church of Christ. They'd start with Bible studies, but then gradually they'd take over your life. They would aprove or disaprove of your choice in who you date, influence you to give them your money & encourage you to cut off associations with anyone who wasn't a member, etc etc.

sounds like the same kinda deal.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------