Hellis

Iota (kickstarter project) backers, anyone got theirs?

I'm not sure about Iota specifically but I kickstarted a high power bluetooth tracker called stonetether but got screwed. It's continual promises but no products. Instead I just got a tile and have been testing out the range. I think it's a viable solution. Next step will be to design a long range antenna and see what sort of range I can get.

-Michael

Ouch! Not Stonetether?

I was very close on backing that project.
I'm happy I didn't.

Since I'm not a backer I can't see everything on the kickstarter page, but yesterday when I was there it almost looked close to be released?
It was a working device on a video. Didn't look like a prototype.
But maybe it needs bugtesting first, and that can take a long time.

I am a backer. Still no device.

They were overly optimistic about the completion date, but the company took the time to work out issues, and beta test with SanFran backers first.

I'm expecting my device at the end of the month hopefully.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

I am a backer. Still no device.

They were overly optimistic about the completion date, but the company took the time to work out issues, and beta test with SanFran backers first.

I'm expecting my device at the end of the month hopefully.

Optimistic delivery dates is a part of all kickstarter projects. :)
Thanks for the update!

I received my Iota base station and 3 tags the start of January. The dogs have them on their collars now, its winter so hard to test much. I have not been able to test range. The battery life if good so far unless i use geofencing, 15% down in 3 weeks, but geofencing drained one of the batteries in a week. The app could use some work but is functional.

Yes, battery is good so far - the 2 tags that I have not tried geofencing on are at 83% and 84% after 3 weeks.

So far, no inadvertent power-off and the puppy is pretty tough on gear, especially stuff hanging from the older dog's collar. To turn off you need to hold down the button for several seconds, it blinks when powered up for easy ID.

That does not sound good enough for skydiving use.

When you close the container you push everywhere on the rig.
The GPSes I have tried has been push and hold or push and push again to switch off.
And it's actually hard not to switch them off.

I just received mine yesterday.

No input yet other than my initial impression from opening the box and checking out the tags.

The trackers are much smaller than I expected, and light, which is great. I initially was brainstorming a velcro pouch for the deployment bag, but given the size I think a PC handle, or a spandex pouch on the risers.

So that raises a question, what is the location that sees the lowest g's and force through deployment, is it the risers, dbag, or the handle on top of the pilot chute?

My guess is the dbag sees a lot of g's being subjected to snatch force, but not sure about the other two.
=P

The next ideas to kick around involve the base...

How can the base be setup to be mounted outdoors? I am guessing that being mounted in a weather proof enclosure at height could only help the range.

Also how can the base be used in a mobile format to search for canopies/tags that end up outside of the range.
=P