kallend

Canopy collision

Pic attached of a canopy collision last Saturday at Z Hills, approx 100ft agl. No entanglement (fortunately). The other jumper's right hip hit my left elbow and spun me around into line twists. His lines hit the left end cell of my canopy (you can see the distortion in the picture) and the sideways shove caused collapse of the right end cell of my canopy too, also obvious in the picture. Canopy (Spectre) flew straight ahead, the end cells reinflated right away and I kicked out of the twists, flared, and PLF'd.

Photo taken by Laszlo, from the Nylon City tent.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What was the leadup to this...

I must admit that I clicked on the pic before reading and totally thought it was a photoshop job...

Now I am wishing it was...

good that you are still with us and whole.
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Was that Laszlo taking pictures from the ground over the DZ?

I didn't see the credit at the bottom of your post. At a glance I thought it was a sig line.

Glad you're both OK!!

...and it was only a few weeks ago I saw one from the ground at Sebastian. If everyone still insists on converging into a single small area I see no way for this to stop happening. I may be mistaken so perhaps in the following comments I'll find the solution.

If everyone still insists on converging into a single small area I see no way for this to stop happening.

So true. Going universally to square canopies has allowed so many more DZ's to exist w/o the need for 100 acres of flat, rural farmland in every direction. And that part's a good thing. But it is getting crowded, folks, and it's going to get worse before it gets better unless we all adjust our mentality. When I got back into the sport a couple years ago, the first fatality I knew upon my return was a low canopy collision (a wrap, and a too-low cutaway). The first person I knew after that having a critical-injury accident was also a canopy collision (another wrap). Neither jumps were CReW jumps, either. There's really no excuse for so much of this shit, people, and there's way too much of it.

John, I am really glad you both were ok. As I mentioned to you that day, I had just picked up my main in the landing area and looked up at the on-coming jumpers (a good habit to have!) when I saw and heard the impact. I was almost as stunned as you were and couldn't believe you got out of that. Photograpner landed right next to me and said "Did you see that!" I was speechless because I had momentarily lost sight of you behind his canopy.

Phew! What a relief to see you standing there. It sure woke us all up after that. The big way landing patterns were almost perfect on the later jumps.

it's going to get worse before it gets better unless we all adjust our mentality.

I second that. This weekend I had a close call (well, not *that* close but too close for my safety standards). The wind was constantly changing and the landing pattern was totally screwed up, nevertheless everybody - and I take my part of the blame - insisted to land in the hot spot in front of the packing area. The result was potentially dangerous.

My takeway: when the conditions are not ok, landing in the student area is a sign of maturity, not of lack of proficiency in flying the canopy.

But it is getting crowded, folks, and it's going to get worse before it gets better unless we all adjust our mentality.

Yeah we all need to stay safe and observe a proper landing pattern. You know kinda like having everyone turning in the same dirrection instead of going willy nilly every which way. Canopy collisions are just bad. The lower they are the worse they can get. Hopefully I will not have to see another one at 20 feet.
There is no shame in walking a little bit further. Being able to hit the Pea pit is cool, but I would rather walk away from the DZ on any given day.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Did you talk to the other jumper about what happened and why he was unable to control his canopy?

It takes 2 to have a collision and one to avoid it. If I had been looking around more I would have been able to avoid it. As it was the landing area by manifest was very crowded because the spot was off to the east and a bunch of us who had tracked that way were coming back into the wind from over the swamp. I was keeping track of a half dozen canopies near me, but it's the one you don't see that gets you.

I didn't see the other canopy at all, even after the collision, so I won't comment since it would just be hearsay. Since he was the video guy I **assume** he opened in the center, much higher than I did (I tracked to 2500ft). There were dozens of eye witnesses on the ground, maybe one of them will comment.

I came out with just a bruised elbow, and a bunch of guys bought me beer later....

It takes 2 to have a collision and one to avoid it. If I had been looking around more I would have been able to avoid it.

That is the kind of humility that keeps people around a long time. Glad you are ok and that you were able to keep your shit wired tight.

Excellent point. You'd expect some fractures to result from an old man like the distinguished prof!:P But it's a helluva thing it didn't end up worse.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

There were dozens of eye witnesses on the ground, maybe one of them will comment.

since you asked.
from what i saw you and a good number of others were all facing south and were on final. camera guy (who either pulled lower than he should, spiraled down to land faster, or both - i wasn't paying attention to that part of his descent) was flying WNW slightly higher but with barely enough altitude to be able to turn back into the wind. when he did his turn (toggle - not flat) it put him right in the middle of all the traffic. there was no way you could have seen him before he collided with you. he was, for the most part of his turn, in your blind spot. his comment when he walked back from the field: "the other guy hit me from the back" who? "i don't know. i didn't see him."
even after several of us told him it was his fault he insisted otherwise.
oh yeah, if you think this happened at 100' you must have been measuring it with baby feet or something.
it is true though that after this incident the big way landings became (almost) boring.
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.

There were dozens of eye witnesses on the ground, maybe one of them will comment.

since you asked.

oh yeah, if you think this happened at 100' you must have been measuring it with baby feet or something.
it is true though that after this incident the big way landings became (almost) boring.

OK, how high did you think it was?

amazing and scary picture! VERY glad to hear you are ok, seriously!!

last weekend i almost had a canopy collision, we were maybe 10 feet apart... what was amazing to me was the incredible closure speed to canopies have! There was amost not enough time to react.

again, prof, glad you were not seriously injured and are still among the living :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Maybe it's time to start believing in angels? :P

Glad you are OK, professor.

Don't know about angels, but training "muscle memory" sure helps. I kicked out of the twists and did the PLF pretty much automatically. If I'd had to think about doing it I probably wouldn't have had time and the outcome might have been sub-optimal.