jmason215

Full Face Helmet

I am getting a Full Face helmet. I am stuck between a Factory Diver and a Phantom X by Square one. What are the Pros/ Cons to each? The factory Diver is used lightly and the other is brand new. Just curious on other people's input. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

How do they fit you? How's your visibility downwards (i.e. handles) with them on? If you wear glasses, can you still use those or do they cause problems?

I haven't used either of those helmets, but how a helmet fits you is imoh one of the most important things. Nobody likes ill-fitting helmets that are a pain to get on or to keep from taking an alternate route back down while you're in the air.

Here is my advice...

If you can; go to a boogie where a dealer will have numerous helmets on display, so you can try various helmet manufacturers. Measuring your head should not be just about around the circumference of your noggin above the ears, but also about the measurement around the top of your head and under your chin.

If you cannot make a boogie or the dealers aren't bringing a selection of helmets; then please take those two measurements and work with someone at SquareOne who is knowledgeable in helmets and tell them you'd like to try before you buy and/or check with your fellow skydivers to see if they have something in your size to try.

Buying the right helmet can be expensive; buying the wrong one can be twice as expensive. I started out with a Z1 and while it fit well and served me for a couple of years; my nose was always pressed against the visor. While at WFFC; I tried on an Oxygen and bought it on the spot.

Moral of the story: Don't buy without fitting and testing something on your head. Heads are round, long, oblong, narrow and so are the helmets. Good Luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

As others have noted, fit and comfort are paramount. Everything else is gravy.

One potential con to the Factory Diver should you require any service or replacement parts is that reports are that the manufacturer has gone out of business. Others may know whether another manufacturer has picked up the service work.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Things to keep in mind:

-The factory diver has a fixed visor. That would be enough for me to discard it. Opening the visor under canopy is a must for me.

-The Phantom X is a supernice helmet but it has a couple of problems: The lining is not removable, it has a single pocket for audible and fitting a cutaway system is difficult (but possible).

Phantom X design is about 20 years newer. As an old fart I looked for 15 years for one i liked and that fit. Phantom X was the first one with enough field of view that fit my big head. Have one, like it as much as I can. Still prefer Protec.;)

Square 1 sell seconds Phantom X's on ebay. Bidding starts at $120 and goes up to around $200 usually. Mine was $140 new and they didn't have a second in what I ordered so they made me a new one.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Deimian

Things to keep in mind:

-The factory diver has a fixed visor. That would be enough for me to discard it. Opening the visor under canopy is a must for me.

I don't mind the fixed visor so much, but have since not been able to get replacement visors. One I did get was destroyed after one tunnel session in cold weather. The other is tinted, which I like, but I'm afraid to use it much for fear it will also pucker and shed. :(

As NWFlyer said, not sure whether anyone has since picked up the manufacturing of said helmets and parts. Otherwise, for me it was an excellent fit and extremely comfortable. But as others have mentioned, you definitely also should be sure it is the right fit for you. Example: a lot of skydivers are loving the new Cookie G3. Plenty of others absolutely hate the fit. Good luck!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!