gary350

Intellectual Output - Arab/Islamic vs. Jewish World

One question is if there may be differences in religious beliefs and practices

i don't know of any religion who contributes to science and free art.

to me, religion was "invented" in order to explain things humans couldn't at the time.
and when you can blame god for everything, why explor?
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I work with both Arabs (from Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia) and Israelis (most of them are actually _in_ Israel.) I jump with them, too, for that matter. I haven't noticed either one lacking in brains. Well, except for a few of the skydivers, but that's more a characteristic of skydivers than anything else.

I work with both Arabs (from Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia) and Israelis (most of them are actually _in_ Israel.) I jump with them, too, for that matter. I haven't noticed either one lacking in brains. Well, except for a few of the skydivers, but that's more a characteristic of skydivers than anything else.

My department head is an Azerbaijani Muslim. Our engineering dean is an Iranian Muslim. The Provost is an American Jew. The (university) president is a Jew. The head of our Civil Engineering dept. is an Iranian Muslim. Our Graduate Dean is a Turkish Muslim. Our CS department head is a Jew, our Chemical Eng. dept. head is an Egyptian Muslim. Our head librarian is an Egyptian Muslim, the head of our Fluid Dynamics Center is an Egyptian Muslim, our EE charman is Chinese. The head of our Fuel Cell Research Group is an Iraqi Muslim. The head of information Technology is an Israeli Jew. I haven't noticed any lack of intellect in any of them, and, surprise surprise, they all get on very well together.

I am off to a faculty club party with them right now!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I work with both Arabs (from Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia) and Israelis (most of them are actually _in_ Israel.) I jump with them, too, for that matter. I haven't noticed either one lacking in brains.

I was just re-reading the list...and while I just don't have time right now to research, I don't think the Jews mentioned are Israeli jews...

I'm not sure why I think that's important to mention, but maybe it's also because I'm thinking the question is along the lines of "Arab/Islamic v. Jewish World" rather than "Arab/Islamic v. Israeli Jews", which would limit the sourcing somewhat?

I dunno. Something feels "wrong" about this list, and I'm just not able to pinpoint it accurately. Your post indicated "Israelis" and not Jews, so that's what made me think about that side.

Ciels-
Michele

{Edit: I thought perhaps I'd spend a moment looking for the list (as there was no link) and like I said, it bothered me. Here's the list. It's taken from a rabidly zionistic website, which I wouldn't consider a good source at all.

A quote from the site at the bottom of the page:
" There are a mere 12 Million Jews in the entire world yet they have received 161 Nobel Prizes. The Muslims number 1.4 Billion (with a very big "B")... or 117 times the number of Jews! Based upon this 117:1 Muslim-to-Jewish ratio, one might expect the Muslims to have 22,260 Nobel Laureates.
They have SIX! and one of them [Arafat] is a murderer (Allah Akbar, indeed!)

Unless the Norwegians start awarding Nobel Prizes for plane hijackings, pizza shop bombings, civilian bus attacks, Jihad suicides/homicides, drive-by shootings, throat-slittings, embassy attacks and other such acts of barbarisms, the embarrassing low level of contribution to the welfare of Civilization and Mankind by the [Arab] Muslim world will continue. The Jewish People, meanwhile, will continue being the Lights Unto All Nations."

Sigh.

I have to get back to work now, but like I thought, there was something inherently wrong with that list...

Ciels again-
Michele}

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Dudes - why the hell does anyone CARE about what race/ethnicity won what prize? Well, we all know why the democrats do, but why they hell SHOULD anyone care about such a breakdown? It's STUPID and doesn't indicate anything. Jews are growing up all over the world in many different cultures. Same for arab folks.

Not that anyone's interested, but there have been no non-Appalachian winners of the coveted Anvil's Favorite Mom prize. Infer from that what you like.

Beers to all (and tequila shooters for me),
B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Dudes - why the hell does anyone CARE about what race/ethnicity won what prize? Well, we all know why the democrats do,

Really? I don't know why it matters either. Since you do, and I don't, I guess you must be the democrat. So could you explain to us why they would care and others wouldn't. Or do you have to ask Ann Coulter first?

{Edit: I thought perhaps I'd spend a moment looking for the list (as there was no link) and like I said, it bothered me. Here's the list. It's taken from a rabidly zionistic website, which I wouldn't consider a good source at all.

A quote from the site at the bottom of the page:
" There are a mere 12 Million Jews in the entire world yet they have received 161 Nobel Prizes. The Muslims number 1.4 Billion (with a very big "B")... or 117 times the number of Jews! Based upon this 117:1 Muslim-to-Jewish ratio, one might expect the Muslims to have 22,260 Nobel Laureates.
They have SIX! and one of them [Arafat] is a murderer (Allah Akbar, indeed!)

Unless the Norwegians start awarding Nobel Prizes for plane hijackings, pizza shop bombings, civilian bus attacks, Jihad suicides/homicides, drive-by shootings, throat-slittings, embassy attacks and other such acts of barbarisms, the embarrassing low level of contribution to the welfare of Civilization and Mankind by the [Arab] Muslim world will continue. The Jewish People, meanwhile, will continue being the Lights Unto All Nations."

A light unto all nations, maybe not that far, but they make a very valid point in my opinion.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

One might venture that occupation by a foreign power is never good for any society.

That would be a mighty tenuous venture. The height of the Arabic language and Arabic culture was brought about by................invasion and occupation. Read about the rise of Arabic culture inthe 7th through 9th centuries.

What about Germany and Japan during the 20th century? The many areas occupied by The Roman Empire? Numerous countries occupied by the British made drastic improvements during the occupation.

I think you would have a hard time with that argument. There are a lot of examples either way.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Its prolly coz Jews have more time to sit around on their arse and be producing art and peace.

Arabs on the other hand are dodging bullets and trying to feed their family, so i guess they have less time to pontificate, hence producing less Nobel types.

Its prolly coz Jews have more time to sit around on their arse and be producing art and peace.

You can't really believe that, can you? How unrealistic and ridiculous is your statement??? Why do you evince so much hatred for the Jews?

Gawain, the reason I brought in that link is because of it's rampant anti-arab sentiment. I was disgusted, the same way I was disgusted when I read that arab site which stated something along the lines that "jews use the blood of arab babies in their religion..." (or something like that...I don't recall it exactly, but it was inflammatory and there was a bruhaha over it some time ago). The same way I'm disgusted when I read Farakhan's stuff, or the KKK, or any other racial radical site. Et cetera.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Arabs on the other hand are dodging bullets and trying to feed their family, so i guess they have less time to pontificate, hence producing less Nobel types

as i said, i don't support this list and not the views behind it (and especially the comparison).
but "prolly coz Jews have more time to sit around on their arse and be producing art and peace. " and "Arabs on the other hand are dodging bullets and trying to feed their family," ?!?!?
where the hell did you come up with such a statement?
i don't remember any jews shooting in iraq/iran/egypt/syria/sudan/yemmen/saudi arabia/pakistan/jordan or any other of the 21 arab or 52 muslim countries.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

One might venture that occupation by a foreign power is never good for any society.

That would be a mighty tenuous venture. The height of the Arabic language and Arabic culture was brought about by................invasion and occupation. Read about the rise of Arabic culture inthe 7th through 9th centuries.

What about Germany and Japan during the 20th century? The many areas occupied by The Roman Empire? Numerous countries occupied by the British made drastic improvements during the occupation.

I think you would have a hard time with that argument. There are a lot of examples either way.

I don't think any of the nations occupied by Germany, Japan, France, Belgium, the UK, Spain, Italy etc. and subsequently "given" their independence, have actually asked that their former masters come back to make things better again. I haven't heard the Phillipines requesting a return to US control, or Indonesia asking the Dutch to come back. But then I don't listen to Fox News very much, so I could have missed it.

There are potential Einsteins throughout the world. Ethnicity doesn't matter.

That includes the ghettos of the USA, which is why it is important that ALL kids get a good education. Our inner city schools are a disgrace to a great nation and waste human potential.

That includes the ghettos of the USA, which is why it is important that ALL kids get a good education. Our inner city schools are a disgrace to a great nation and waste human potential.

I agree.

I agree.

That's right. Bring on vouchers and let the kids choose which school they attend.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants