lawrocket

North Korean Train Collision - 3k casualties is initial report

I think yes, other countries would have picked up on the fact that a nuke went off if it had been one. N Korea must be one of the most highly surveilled areas of the planet – something would have seen that sort of energy. I bet they would have been able to tell the difference between a big explosion and a tactical nuke.

Re radiation, my father was a civil engineer and the co he worked for was involved in some nuclear power plants over here. Apparently within days of Chernobyl one of his friends set off the alarms at one of the plants he was visiting and they traced it back to Chernobyl fall out – if it was a nuke there would be fall out and someone would know about it.

Anyone ever heard of the Halifax explosion? Ship carrying WWI munitions out of Halifax nova Scotia was rammed by another ship and went up levelling the whole town. This kind of huge explosion is not unprecidented - even when you are "only" talking conventional explosives or their componants. This one killed about 1600 people and the ship's ancor flew over 5km.

See here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/blowup.htm

Yeah, a similar thing happened in 1947 in Texas City, Texas. A ship carrying chemicals blew up. The explosion was heard 150 miles away. A large portion of the town was leveled.

It's anchor, weighing 1/5 tons, was flung 2 miles inland.

I've seen the site, and it's quite amazing when you see the distances involved.

Hours later, another ship loaded with fertilizer exploded.

After all of it, 600 were known dead out of 16,000 in the city. And this happened in a port.

My wife is hotter than your wife.