Mleadley

How much is a 2nd hand rig worth?

Hey guys

Looking at purchasing my first rig and ive been offered a vector 3 m series that's only 4 years old with only 43 jumps put on everything. Its got a sabre 2 190 main and a PD reserve plus a vigil aad. Also fully loaded with skyhook and additional extras.

The rig is worth £7000 brand new and hes selling me it for £4,500, does this sound about right to you? Not sure if I'm getting a great deal or will I lose a load of money in a few years when I sell?

Is there anything I should watch out for? Don't think hes been jumping much recently so not sure if the reserve has been repacked or about the aad service.

Also is it possible to shorten a rig? The guy is a few inches taller than me and wanted to know if I could make it a better fit in the future should I want to?

Thanks

£7k sounds a bit on an exaggeration, unless the £/$ rate was much worse when he bought it.

I reckon that rig would cost around £6k new in the UK today.

If you collected the rig from the USA , or got someone to bring it back (avoiding import duties) it'd be around £4.5k brand new.

You will lose on this over a few years, as it's high spec and relatively new. If you don't want to lose anything, get a 10yr+ beat-up rig.

I'd also be very careful about it not fitting. By the time you've insured and posted it back to have it altered (Going back to UPT the manufacturer is the only sane option), it's probably going to cost £300+, which you obviously won't see a penny back on when selling on. You also won't have the rig for the best part of a month.

those numbers are a piss take. Import a rig from the US, pay the tax and you'll still have money left over to buy jump tickets and when you sell it you'll basically lose nothing (you may want to enlist the help of an instructor you know when looking for second hand gear).

In terms of altering a rig it really isn't worth it unless it is a forever rig, just be patient and the right rig will come up, have the money ready and buy it (know exactly what you want and what it is worth), too many people miss out on rigs ad decent prices because they try and screw the seller for a perceived bargain (I'm not saying pay over market value, just don't miss an awesome opportunity for $100). That said, if you did want to change the harness on a rig there are riggers in the UK more the capable of re-harnessing it for you and with the BPA rules and the nature of UK skydiving I doubt it would harm the value at all.

I've had a look at the website he bought it from, and it all adds up to n ear £7000. It's £1900 for the container, 1800 for the main, £1100 for reserve and a touch over £1000 for the aad, plus all the taxes

I tried the rig on today and it fits really well, guess i will speak to a local rigger and see what he says in relation to value.

Don't mind spending a bit more for a rig I'm comfortable with and will last a while as it could take a downsize so should hold me for a least a year or so.

Cheers for your replies tho

Just because the original owner overpaid - doesn't mean you should.

Those prices in (GBP) Sterling can be had for very similar in (USD) dollars with a current exchange rate of around 1.48 dollars to the pound.

Its a used rig, its worth whatever someone will pay but for that price you could get something new. Something that's sized exactly to fit you in your colors.

Either way get a rigger to take a look and determine its value and condition.

For that price you should be able to buy it brand new and custom sized . (in the USA) However that would not include any taxes or shipping. I have no idea about your local market. 7000 British Pounds is well over 10,000 USD. The rig new is worth maybe $7000 USD.

If it fits you, and is exactly what you want it may be worth it. I'd hold out for a lower price myself.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

FWIW, I put together a rig, all brand new (apart from the Main - Dec '09 with 125 jumps at the time) and made to measure for under £4100

Vortex £1,350.00
Nano 160 £995.00
Triathlon 175 ZPX £850.00 (used!)
Cypres 2 £885.00

Apart from the main, it's all April / May 2014 prices.

Yes, the Vector's 'better' and more expensive and the Sabre 2 will be worth more, but that doesn't seem like terrific value at £4.5k for a four year old rig, albeit with low jumps numbers...

Ash

I suppose it's technically a Vortex 3, with the latest logos on the side panels. All options bar Skyhook (wasn't made available as an option until a couple of months after I put my order in - made do with the old school RSL) and custom embroidery.

XDream Sports. I know they advertise it higher today than what I paid last year, but it was a similar situation 18 months ago (although slightly less of a difference). And I got that price without any haggling! YMMV.

Cypres was procured from a dealer in Germany - you could pick one up mid 2015 ago from UK dealers for around £850. Not sure if that's still the case.

It pays to shop around / ask :)

Ash

MonsterMo

XDream Sports. I know they advertise it higher today than what I paid last year, but it was a similar situation 18 months ago (although slightly less of a difference). And I got that price without any haggling! YMMV.

No way, the shop at Dunkeswell? I don't know if you've seen but it's currently listed at £1750, so £400 more. Did you have to go down there to get measured and make the order or did you just do it all online? What do you mean it was a similar situation, did you get it for less than advertised?

Yes, I believe Jack is based at Dunks these days.

I'm not sure if some BCPA discount or similar was applied, but £1350 is what I paid / was invoiced; I recall them 'officially' advertising it at the time for upwards of £1500.

I was at a BCPA event / piss up at Peterlee and was measured by Jack's business associate at the time. Got the container 6/7 weeks later.

If you're interested, best to get in touch with Jack yourself and enquire. Tell them Ash sent you. Like I said, your mileage may vary - I'm not affiliated with XDream.

Just be ware a service bulletin was released yesterday concerning the stainless steel hardware; affected rigs (mine included) are currently grounded...

Ash

MonsterMo

Yes, I believe Jack is based at Dunks these days.
Just be ware a service bulletin was released yesterday concerning the stainless steel hardware; affected rigs (mine included) are currently grounded...

Yes I saw that, someone who made a thread about it said that current production and all future orders aren't affected by that. Also I didn't know XD was owned by Jack, that's interesting.