3 3
RopeaDope

First sewing machine recommendations

Soon to be Senior Rigger testing out in a couple weeks. Piecing a home loft together with budget and space limitations. Looking for recommendations on one machine at can handle all the work a home based part time senior rigger would need. I know the handbook suggests a single needle, double needle with taping attachment, and a zigzag machine to start out with, but I don't know what all is out there. Is there one that can do it all or can I get one that will do most of what a need and then a smaller and cheaper second to cover the left overs? Thanks.

A single needle zigzag should be ok for most senior rigger work. A machine such as a pfaff 138 should do fine.

Twin needles, bar tackers etc. are nice to have but are much more specialized and for the amount of work you may be using them are pretty expensive tools to have for the rare time you may use them.

Try reading this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4672268;search_string=first%20sewing%20machine;#4672268

Also, search this forum for the keyword "sewing machine" and you will find a wealth of information.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Lots of folks have started with a singer 20u. I think used ones are over priced and new ones have varying quality. IF you bought one buy a blue or tan used one. Advantage is parts are cheaper and easier to get. (Still made) Pfaff 138 or 238 is better in my mind. But.parts expensive. Bernina 217good, although my two seem to vary in quality little. May still be tuning. But again parts may be an issue.

I did a lot of rigging, including single needle binding and making toggles on older home machines. Neechi, Viking and Singer 400 class are good. My Viking home machine still does toggle nose zigzag better than my commercial machines.

I've bought several commercial machines from folks that bought them and couldn't use them. Often they are threaded wrong, the tensions are screwed up or even have the wrong needle. Check craigslist. Just bought a 217 in excellent.condition for half.of asking because the seller couldn't work it and the previous folks that looked at it couldn't either.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ok, thanks guys. I think I have a pretty good starting point. I'm good on inspections and repacks, but new to sewing. I'm getting the rating mostly to service my own gear, but I will take whatever business I can get to help stay current, and want to make sure I can at least cover the basic patch jobs and seam repairs. If I can find some work at a DZ and get hands on experience under a "master", I don't want to keep replacing machines as my sewing abilities develop.

Of course I always forget to add the consew 199. Comes in single double or triple throw. I don't here a lot about people buying a single throw as their first machine although a friend did. But I have one as mu double throw, along with a bernina 217.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

http://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ultrafeed-LSZ-1-BASIC-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine

This is an awesome machine... I've had it for 10 years, use it for everything, and other than oiling it, I've never had to "tune" it... It also has awesome binding attachments that it's pre tapped for (standard, swing away, and right angle options). It's super strong and portable.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

For a low cost starter, a Singer 401 or 500 are wonderful machines. Can be found for under $100 and parts are cheap.

I have had or still own a Singer 20U, Pfaff 138 and Bernina 217. I like each model for different reasons.

Singer had wide zigzag and decent pushing power. Wasn't as smooth running as other two machines. Maintaining thread tension could be an issue.
Pfaff is strongest of the three, only minor negative is reverse level that you lift instead of push down.
Bernina is the smoothest running of the three. Mine has the cam drive so you can also do 308 stitch and other decorative stitches. Not quite as much brute strength as the 138.

Spare parts on the Pfaff and Bernina are pricy. But if you keep them oiled and adjusted, they will run forever.

The Consew 199 is one of the few walking foot zigzags. Not too common used and tend to be pricey.

I have no experience with the Sailrite machines. They are the size of a home machine with more power. Jankowski has one. His complaint was no knee lift.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Here's the service manual and some other useful links:
http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf (page 125)
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-401-401A-403-403A-404_c22.htm

If it hasn't been used in years, it might be a good idea to disassemble and clean most of it, including the motor. That's what I did with mine :)

Some other tips: The electronic foot control from sew-classic is much better than the original controller. The manual says that the maximum needle size is 18, but I've had no problems using size 19 after re-centering the needle. For the gear lubricant, I tried the Singer version in the blue tube, but didn't really like it. It's not the same compound that was manufactured decades ago. I'm giving Nova's Motor Lubricant a try, but haven't used it enough to form an opinion yet:

http://www.novamontgomery.com/shop/Singer-Featherweight-Parts/p/Novas-Motor-Lubricant-x4312153.htm

If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Any Singer 20U painted a light cream color is made in China and not as well made as the Japanese models. The 20U33 made in Japan is better and can be found cheaper than $500. For $500, I would be looking for a Pfaff 138 or Bernina 217.

Jump an Infinity

RopeaDope

I haven't seen a Bernina anywhere. There is a Pfaff 230 locally for $400, a Singer 301a for $350, and a Singer 201 for $325

All of those machines are household machines with a small motor mounted on the head. The Pfaff will do straight and zigzag, the Singers are straight stitch only. I would say all are overpriced.

I guess I am lucky to live in an area with a better selection of available machines.

The 8700 is a machine for fast production type sewing. Not the best for general fabrication and repairs.

Jump an Infinity

$200 for a Pfaff 360 isn't bad at all. Having a free arm is also nice to have.

Make sure to put it through the paces testing it. Parts are a bit pricey on the Pfaffs. When they are running well, they are really sweet machines.

I have a Pfaff 130 in great shape. And not to rub it in, but got it for $30 at the flea market.

Jump an Infinity

Have you checked out your local thrift stores?

Goodwill, St Vinnie's, perhaps some of your local churches run some?

Around me, there are usually a couple nice domestic machines at any given time. Often the older ones. Metal gears, not the newer plastic stuff. Usually with a table. Usually around $25.

You have to run any potential purchase through it's paces before you buy it, but most of the places are willing as long as you ask nicely and bring your own thread & fabric.
Some are broken beyond reasonable repair, but most that I've seen are simply unwanted.

"Mom" or "Grandma" died or went into a home, the kids and/or grandkids didn't want it. So it went to Goodwill.

Again, these will be household, domestic machines. Not commercial/industrial. Not ideal, but certainly usable for many tasks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo