jurajpetrik

Canopies with similar pack volume to Pulse.

Any 7-cell of the same size. Specter, Storm, etc

9-cells of the same size - Pilot ZPX, Fluid Prime.

Most 9-cells a size smaller.

All manufacturers of containers have fit charts on their website that will tell you how different canopies will pack. e.g.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/packingchart.aspx

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf

https://www.miragesys.com/sizing-guide/

http://www.sunpath.com/canopysizing.php

The owner says t is supposed to fit.....

Be aware that this means very little. Consult a rigger, or take a picture of the container label and post it here if you don't have a rigger you can count on.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Anachronist

Any 7-cell of the same size. Specter, Storm, etc

All manufacturers of containers have fit charts on their website that will tell you how different canopies will pack. e.g.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf

the container is mirage g3. I checked the link you posted but no size there seems to fit the reserve / main combo. I haven't received the container yet. But when I do will it's size be written on it?

A Silhouette might also do the trick. It's the same sort of hybrid design as the Pulse. Flat glide, good easy to pack first canopy.

It will recover very quickly after a turn though, so be sure to give it a second or two to pick up speed again. Otherwise you might stall one side of the canopy when you initiate the next turn. Could give you an interesting perspective on the world if you're down low... Other than that I'd say it's a great beginners canopy.

jurajpetrik

***Any 7-cell of the same size. Specter, Storm, etc

the container is mirage g3. I checked the link you posted but no size there seems to fit the reserve / main combo. I haven't received the container yet. But when I do will it's size be written on it?

g3 is the model not the size (which I think you already know) ask the seller what size it is or the SN and then call Mirage and ask them. I don't know where the size is written on a Mirage but yes, it should be somewhere, warning label, packing card pocket, etc. You will see combos that don't seem to match sometimes, they are "guidelines."

I haven't received the container yet. But when I do will it's size be written on it?

Yes, on the label it will have an M#. That is the container size. In this case probably M4. There will be other numbers for the harness size. The size chart was probably published before the Pulse was available, but it lists a Sabre 150 as soft and a 170 as optimal. Also lists a silhouette 190 as optimal.

But what reserve do you have for it? Unless you have a low volume reserve it only fits a 160. I have put 176s into one, but it's not pretty.

If the M# is 3 or 3x ask for your money back. You've been lied to.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

So the size is M2. The reserve is PD 143R. Just checked the Mirage website and it lists Sabre fits with 135-150. The rig is already paid for and on its way. Did I fuck up? It looks like it.

The label is here
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11229410_10155967679030109_665101189353601477_n.jpg?oh=b4286ef4e4d4b9dff4b083ba93f1d8f2&oe=5719C7E4

Did the seller tell you it would fit a 190? Did you use paypal? If you used paypal, first contact the seller and say that the container is not what was claimed and you want to return it. If the seller won't allow that, contact Paypal and begin a dispute. If you used friends and family payment, you are out of luck.

You can try to resell it, you can keep it till you can use it. You can try to make a trade locally with a jumper who is ready to downsize.

All is not lost, but you will not be able to fit large enough canopies for a beginner into it. There is also the possibility that you paid too much.

What you need is a local rigger that you can trust advising you. New jumpers go through this all the time trying to get first gear as cheaply as possible. I understand this, I've seen it a lot.

Your profile has nothing in it. Complete it as much as you can and then people will see where you are. Someone who can help you may be on here and nearby you. Skydivers generally want to help newbies. Don't be shy. If you would like to actually talk to me a bit, send me a PM.

So i've taken a few deep breaths and I think all is not lost. In fact I think everything will be just fine.

The owner claims he was jumping a Sabre 170 in it and since he is shipping it packed inside I believe him.

According to the Mirage guide it fits a Storm/Spectre 170 and according to the PD guide a Pulse 190 packs the same volume as those two. So I should be able to fit the Pulse 190 inside, nothing else but that's fine.
In fact a Sabre 170 is just a one size bigger than Storm/Spectre 170 so looks like he's been exceeding the specs a little bit. I will not do that and I'll probably sell the Sabre to a new jumper since it sells pretty cheaply.

At least the reserve container is not over stuffed. But that does leave you with the fact that the reserve is too small for you. Skydiving is an adult sport and you can decide to go for it, but if you feel you need a 190 main why do you think a 143 is a large enough reserve? Depending on the DZ rules where you are you may get grief from the safety officer. And for good reason. You may possibly be required to jump something larger for a while.

I'm not even going to ask what you weigh. When newbies talk about using small reserves in this forum it almost always sparks a shit storm of criticism. So be prepared.

The Sabre 2 170 in that container will be difficult to pack, so be prepared for that as well. In the end, your Mirage setup is probably a really nice rig, and should bring you a lot of fun. Congratulations.

Mirage doesn't include "tight fitting" canopies so you can probably horseshoe a Pulse 190 in there.

But yeah, the issue is as much the reserve as it is the main.

You could put a OP 160 in it but then you are still going to be downsizing at 2k ft or less, as previously mentioned.

You're going to use your reserve at some point, you have to be comfortable flying it under less than ideal conditions and potentially landing off. Most folks don't (no one I know of actually) jump a reserve two sizes smaller than their main...

In pretty much all the non-student rigs I've seen, the reserve is smaller until you hit about 100sqft. For student rigs, it's 50/50, depending on how big the main is (our student rigs all have 240 reserves, whilst main is either 260 or 240). You generally want it slightly smaller, for two-out handling(*). My own (second-hand) rig is 170/147, and it was completed for me by an instructor and a master rigger. 190/160 sounds like it should be about the same ratio, though you will obviously still want to run it through a competent adult before committing to anything.

(*) Based on PD's tests, it's really a function of line length, rather than area as such. Smaller wings tend to have shorter lines, though it's not impossible to find a combination of main/reserve where the smaller reserve will have longer lines.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Yes I am concerned about the 143 reserve. I've talked to three experienced jumpers on my dropzone separately and they've all said it's fine. I will probably try to get the Optimum 160 reserve, I'll be wingloading that at 1.25. Not perfect but manageable I suppose? The attitude at my dropzone is that since it's a reserve ride as long as it saves your life it's okay and it flies docile because it's a 7 cell.

Again I'm just a newbie so I don't really know much.

jurajpetrik

Yes I am concerned about the 143 reserve. I've talked to three experienced jumpers on my dropzone separately and they've all said it's fine. I will probably try to get the Optimum 160 reserve, I'll be wingloading that at 1.25. Not perfect but manageable I suppose? The attitude at my dropzone is that since it's a reserve ride as long as it saves your life it's okay and it flies docile because it's a 7 cell.

or you could get a speed 2000 from paratec which packs even smaller than the optimum. just saying. but i also think you'll probably be fine under the reserve you have now, it's still a reserve and not a velocity.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

jurajpetrik

So .... 1.4 wingloading on the 143R ........ good luck if you are ever unconscious under that reserve .... toes, knees, face. B|

Life is short ... jump often.

virgin-burner

or you could get a speed 2000 from paratec which packs even smaller than the optimum. just saying. but i also think you'll probably be fine under the reserve you have now, it's still a reserve and not a velocity.

What size speed 2000 do you think I could pack in there? I've emailed Mirage and Paratec with the same question. If I can get a bigger reserve in there I probably will.

Pobrause

That a speed 2000 reserve packs noticable smaler than a comparable size optimum is a myth.

why does every rigger tell me otherwise?

besides the point, i jump an optimum and am very happy with it. no rides on speed's, but i hear they're a fine reserve.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

jurajpetrik

***or you could get a speed 2000 from paratec which packs even smaller than the optimum. just saying. but i also think you'll probably be fine under the reserve you have now, it's still a reserve and not a velocity.

What size speed 2000 do you think I could pack in there? I've emailed Mirage and Paratec with the same question. If I can get a bigger reserve in there I probably will.

i have no idea, but i'm sure paratec or mirage will give you a more competent answer than anyone here on this forum. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda