ChristSkyd

Christian Popularity

Thats kinda my point. How can anyone say that they know the will of god when so many other people fervently believe that they also know the will of god, feel it deep in their soul, but its telling them to do the opposite of what you are doing. Just like the kids on the israeli buses.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

All one can do is refer to His word, The Bible, and pray for guidance. If sincere and one is not driven by personal desires, I believe the will of God will be made known to the true Christians. Those who sincerely accept Jesus Christ as savior. True Christians will have The Holy Spirit as their counselor. They will then be compelled to do the "will" of God. That doesn't mean that they will always do the will of God just because they are Christians. There is a constant battle within between their human nature and their new Godly nature. It's MUCH easier to choose the selfish route.

All one can do is refer to His word, The Bible, and pray for guidance. If sincere and one is not driven by personal desires, I believe the will of God will be made known to the true Christians. Those who sincerely accept Jesus Christ as savior. True Christians will have The Holy Spirit as their counselor. They will then be compelled to do the "will" of God. That doesn't mean that they will always do the will of God just because they are Christians. There is a constant battle within between their human nature and their new Godly nature. It's MUCH easier to choose the selfish route.

Word.

All one can do is refer to His word, The Bible,

Which has been passed on, written and translated by fallable humans. How do you know all you read is not just a bad translation of someones misinterpretation of a story he was told?

They will then be compelled to do the "will" of God.

Why does he need them to do his will as he is almighty?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm just going to add to that, the bible is not the only absolute word of god/gods/devils/demons out there, nor is it the first.
I very much doubt that the old testament was the first religious pamphlet to be spread around either so how do you KNOW that your book is the true book when the majority of world opinion is against you?
(no matter which religion you follow more people will disagree than agree with you)

Why does he need them to do his will as he is almighty?

God is, in fact, perfect and almighty and doesn't need anything. He desires a personal relationship with his children, though, and wants what's best for us. Therefore, since we are fallable and not perfect, we are in desperate need of guidance. Look around.

And the kids blowing themselves up on Israeli buses also think that what they're doing is right too. That doesn't mean that are, however, just because they're too ignorant to know any better.

jawa bone of an ass anyone? weapon of mass destruction for biblical times...

nearly every religion has done the same at one point or another all claiming "its God's will" to kill the unbelievers...

God does not NEED people to do His will. He prefers to employ people to do His will. The fact that He uses people to do His will does not negate the fact that He is almighty.

The two are not mutualy exclusive.

As far as "nearly every religion has done the same at one point or another all claiming "its God's will" to kill the unbelievers... " that is because people are imperfect.

Let's face it, just because someone calls themselves Christian and says they are "doing the Will of God" does not mean they actually are either. It also does not mean that they believe it. I would bet that many of the "Christians" who performed in the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials and any slew of other "Chritistian Barbarities" were in fact just furthuring their own desires and power trips and never believed a word they said but knew they could use it to control, coerce, and terrorize those they saw as lesser than them. Someone who is a true believer would not behave that way deliberately.

That fact that these things happen does not make the work or beliefs of a true Christian any less valid. They do however damage the reputations of those who would never do these things. I have been treated as a lesser person in many places just because I am a Christian. Not always, not even most of the time, but it does happen often. The very word "Christian" in many people's minds brings a negative conotation because of the evils that have been done in the name of Christianity. Yet I have never done anything like the Witch Trials. But, oh, I am a Christian and therefore I must be in-tolerant.

True Christians never claim to be perfect. They will, by their very human nature, in fact, not be perfect. They will make mistakes, they will even, (oh no!), sin in public. They will still be subject to the very prejudices that every other human being is subject to.

I am a Christian. I am imperfect. Sometimes I am judgemental even though I try not to be. I sometimes do things that even non-Christians know I should not do. I can think of many things that I do that God does not approve of. And I have done and said things I should not in public and in private. I try not to, but sometimes my imperfect nature takes hold and I forget for a moment to allow God's Spirit to lead me. It happens in any number of situations, whether I am alone or in a large group. When this happens, there is grace. God's love does that. It grant's us grace, just as our parents do when we disobey them. They do what is necessary to get our attention and try, in a loving way to teach us right and wrong. God works the same way only better because He does not go right to anger, no matter how bad a day He had because He has no bad days. He is slow to anger. Long on grace and ALWAYS willing to forgive.

That is the message of any true Christian. I would gamble my life that the attrocities performed in the name of Christ were thought up by people who were not true followers of Christ.

But even if they were, that is because it was done by an imperfect human who forgot to follow the voice of God and looked to his own selfish desires if even only for a moment.

I apologize if I came of as preachy. Just punch me in the arm next time you see me if I did.;)

I would bet that many of the "Christians" who performed in the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials and any slew of other "Chritistian Barbarities" were in fact just furthuring their own desires and power trips and never believed a word they said but knew they could use it to control, coerce, and terrorize those they saw as lesser than them.

But a lot did, fervently, passionately, with a fire that consumed their every waking moment. Thats why whether or not someone is religious has bugger all to do with whether or not someone is 'moral'. People do good things cos they like doing good things. people do bad things cos they like doing bad things, the voice in their head's just a reflection of that.

I might have to offer to be punched as well now.B|

Still, how can you claim to know what a "true christian" is? Or how can anyone? Especially the church, who sent people to kill unbelievers a couple of hundred years ago?
Why should you know better than the crusaders, inquisitors, etc.?
It's a circular conclusion. "They didn't know the true way, i know it" (or at least "i know better"). This can be repeated endlessly.

I'm a true Christian, as that's my first name...;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I claim to know what a true Christian is because a true Christian is someone who trusts in Christ and strives to follow the way He led. With love not anger and hate at the center of His core.

My goal is to be like Christ in my thoughts actions and words. Christ NEVER killed anyone for not accepting Him. If He is our example then we would not feel the need to do so either.

Scriptures and Christ's example are what tell me what a "true Christian" is.

"Love God with all your heart mind soul and strength"

"Love your neighbor as yourself"

These are the principles true Christians live by, because these are the things that Christ commanded. The very meaning of the word "Christian" is to be Christ-like, a disciple of Christ.

There is no circular conclusion there.