ChristSkyd

Christian Popularity

On the way to church this morning I was listening to a national pastor on the radio. He posed an interesting question. From the begining of the Christian movement, followers of Jesus Christ have willing accepted martyrdom. All agree they are willing to give their life for Christ. The pastor's question, "Are you willing to be unpopular for your belief in Jesus Christ?"

How many Christians at the DZ are afraid to let their skydiving friends know where they stand in their faith for fear of being shunned?

Ron --

Honestly. Unless somebody is witnessing with a bullhorn and annoying others, I don't really think anyone cares.

I think most skydivers are more than happy to go about their own lives and let others go about their's. If a group of skydivers wants to get together and have a Sunday before jump service, I don't think the majority of skydivers would care anymore about that than a 4-way team doing yoga stretches.

As long as you don't bother anyone, why should they bother you?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Shunned for being a Christian? In Florida? Doubt anyone should really feel that way... But.. I'm not a Christian so I can't really say. I know I wouldn't get on someone's case for being a Christian. I get on their case for other shit B|

>How many Christians at the DZ are afraid to let their skydiving
>friends know where they stand in their faith for fear of being shunned?

I'm not afraid of being shunned. At most people would hear one of the three dreaded topics start up (religion, politics, abortion) and would suddenly remember other things they needed to do.

Many years ago, 95% of the people thought the earth was flat. The "non- believers" of that popular opinion thought it was round.
Which ones got shunned back then ? Disgusting to think the " round answer" people were shunned because "everyone" knew it was flat.
Can we all just get on a load ?
My "church" is the sky. I'll be playin while you're prayin.
Oh no ! I'm not in the popular opinion group. I shall be shunned. Watch, little "religious war" coming soon.

Ron --

Honestly. Unless somebody is witnessing with a bullhorn and annoying others, I don't really think anyone cares.

I think most skydivers are more than happy to go about their own lives and let others go about their's. If a group of skydivers wants to get together and have a Sunday before jump service, I don't think the majority of skydivers would care anymore about that than a 4-way team doing yoga stretches.

As long as you don't bother anyone, why should they bother you?

That pretty much sums up my outlook on it.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I have absolutely no fear of stating my beliefs....if asked or we're on the topic. But I don't slam it down anyone's throat.

Chris

That's exactly what I think Chris. I don't care what religion (or anything else for that matter) you belong to/worship/follow. Just don't preach to me.

We can talk about it, debate, but don't ram it down people's throat. That's a pretty good way to annoy people.

I do try and repect people's beliefs, but ramming can stretch that....
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Well, we don't want to scare them off with our brightly colored FF suites, we would have to ease them in to our society. Now beer, yes...extremely wise. Get them drunk, have them sign some papers so they can't turn back...hell of a recruiting technique. And maybe with all the new addicts, gear prices will go down? I think we may have a plan B|

... wow such... wow... if ur the anti christ or christian... it dosent matter... let him speak. we are all adults here. we don't have to all agree on everything.... *shakes head in disapproval*
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Uh? You talkin' to me?

Where did I say anyone couldn't speak about anything?

In fact, my post was in support of his (anyone's) right to do whatever he feels like as long as he's not annoying anyone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ron, I openly profess my faith at our DZ. A small core of regular jumpers attend each weekend. No one has given me any problems. I proudly wear my CSA patch on my jumpsuit. Just this weekend two student recognized the emblem and asked me about CSA. Both seem interested.

We have already invited each other and families to our respective churches. I will be praying that it could lead to us openly praying, giving all the glory to the Lord each day before we jump. If it is God's will!

In Christ

Dave Smith
CSA 652

In Christ
Dave Smith

No one is shunned for being religious at any of the DZs I've been at. However, fire-breathing zealots who will berate you for not sharing their beliefs give you guys who are happy to practice their religion a bad name.

I look at it this way: If I want to be "saved" I'll come ask you for the info on how to do so. In the interim, you shouldn't endeavour to make yourself seem better than others because of your beliefs... (EDIT--not that anyone in particular has done so...)

I don't think this is what's on most people's mind at a DZ. Aside from a few Catholic jokes aimed at me in fun, I don't think I've ever seen any skydiver shun or make fun of anyone for being Christian.

Skydivers are pretty cool in general - only know a couple I don't care for - and don't do such stupid things as a general rule of thumb.

Beers and blues,

Vinny the Anvil
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I have absolutely no fear of stating my beliefs....if asked or we're on the topic. But I don't slam it down anyone's throat.

And thank you for that, Chris. Though I myself am not a Christian, and though I have my own opinions on the subject that I will hold from this thread, I will not push anyone away simply because they are Christian. That's your belief and I will respect that. As long as you're a good person, that's all that matters with me. However, I have been "shunned" by people for not being Christian, which quite frankly sickens me. So long story short, if you're a good person, you have every right to your beliefs and I would think no less or more of you for those beliefs, but if you shoved it down my throat that I needed to be Christian, I'd walk away and probably never speak to you again.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.