JohnRich

England: BB Gun Registration

"offensive weapon" means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him [or by some other person].

You can't judge someone's "intent".

If a hiker walks through a village on his travels, is his walking stick going to be confiscated?

If a mother purchases a rolling pin and carries it down the sidewalk to her car, is she going to be arrested for carrying an "offensive weapon"?

This is stupid stuff.

You only need one criminal law: if you threaten or hurt someone, or steal or damage another's property, you're going to jail. Period.

All this stuff about trying to define a plethora of things that can be used as weapons is just foolishness.

No, really I think Dropout is spot on the money. You see you never miss what you never had

Yep, just what the North Koreans say these days[:/]
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Illigality of knives, sticks and rolling pins in public places:

Prevention of Crime Act 1953

(2)..."offensive weapon" means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him [or by some other person].

So tell me exactly how a stick or rolling pin qualify as an article made or adapted for use for causing injury.

So look at this, it's legal to have it, until you intend to use it for causing injury. So you can carry a rolling pin down the street. Or a sixteen year old can carry a knife down the street, and it's not illegal.

Wow, that seems pretty not regulated by the government. That seems fairly uncontrolled to me.

ps - it's illegality.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him [or by some other person].

thats it - if you intend to use it, its an offensive weapon and illegal. As John rightly points out it can be very difficult to juge intent... but its not impossible.

So you can carry a rolling pin down the street. Or a sixteen year old can carry a knife down the street, and it's not illegal

yup - (except many kinds of knife are illegal because it has been decided they are "made... for use for causing injury") I know its not a particularly good law - I think it sucks and is damn hard to apply. but it does catch trouble makers... albeit at the expense of law abiding citizens... its a ballancing act. Has it swung too far... maybe yeah - the police now have something they can charge people with though.

How would you legislate against a pool cue or a sock with a bar of soap in it? Its not as easy as you may think.

ps - it's illegality

Yeah, I'm dislexic - sue me.:P

How would you legislate against a pool cue or a sock with a bar of soap in it? Its not as easy as you may think.

Why would you legislate against a pool cue or a sock with a bar of soap in it? Every civilized nation already has rules against assault.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

British man arrested and jailed for two months, for "illegal possession of a toy gun":

Full Story

"Six armed officers, the West Yorkshire force helicopter and police dog handlers descended on Copley, Halifax, at 2.30pm yesterday after a man was seen waving a pistol - later found to be a BB gun... No arrests were made..."

Full Story

The Brits have done it again: punishing the victim of a crime.

Postmaster must pay for robbery

A man armed with a pistol burst into a post office, got through a security door, tied up a member of the staff, and stole £11,000.

The postal service now demands that the manager of the post office re-pay the money which was stolen, claiming that his security measures were inadequate.

Full Story

He's not allowed to have a gun for self-defense, so how is he supposed to stop an armed robber?

Negligence, pure and simple. Pay up!

And if your car gets stolen, then obviously you didn't do enough to secure it, even if it was locked up. So I guess a fine against the car's owner would be proper for "allowing" their car to be stolen, and for bothering the police with having to try and recover it.

Negligence, pure and simple. Pay up!

One more item you aren't allowed to carry in England:
"A Man who was caught with an extendible baton in his pocket... 'The police officer noticed the extendible baton in Khan's pocket...' He was spoken to by the officer and was arrested after a struggle... 'The court has found him guilty of possessing an offensive weapon and that is a serious matter...' The bench made an order for the forfeiture and destruction of the baton."

Phew, I'm sure all of England feels much safer knowing that this mini-baton has been destroyed.

Source: Scunthorpe Telegraph

And if your car gets stolen, then obviously you didn't do enough to secure it, even if it was locked up. So I guess a fine against the car's owner would be proper for "allowing" their car to be stolen, and for bothering the police with having to try and recover it.

from your article it was the company that fined him, not the police. If you had a hire car that got stolen I bet the rental company would be pissed.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

He was spoken to by the officer and was arrested after a struggle... '

So the police ask about the baton and he assaults them? Lets face it, doesn't sound like he was a model citizen does it. And yeah, I do feel safer now that this guy isn't walking round with a weapon specifically designed to injure people.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Sounds great. But as for the baton thing, why would anyone want to walk about with a baton in their pocket? As defence against an illegal handgun? :S Either everyone legaly carries a weapon or no one does.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Sounds great. But as for the baton thing, why would anyone want to walk about with a baton in their pocket? As defence against an illegal handgun? Either everyone legaly carries a weapon or no one does.

That should say: "either everyone legally carries a weapon or only criminals do."

The problem is this guy knows one in every four Britons will be victim of a crime, and he is probably more likely than most, so he carries something for his protection. If you question the utility of a club/baton, ask cops why they carry them. (google ASP, PR24, baton, etc)

While the UK makes it a crime to carry anything to defend yourself, has this guy committed any real crimes?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

No, but it is the false pretense of superiority:P at the cost of someone following basic survival instincts.:P

Long live the queen!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon