Cornholio

Radio stations drop Dixie Chicks

the people that liked the DC before she said what she said and now wont listen to their music never really like the music anyways.. They are just followers on a band wagon and cant think for themselves....
I dont really listen to them but what ever their political views are are not going to affect my choice to listen to them if they play good music..

the people that liked the DC before she said what she said and now wont listen to their music never really like the music anyways.. They are just followers on a band wagon and cant think for themselves....
I dont really listen to them but what ever their political views are are not going to affect my choice to listen to them if they play good music..

Out of curiousity, if Al Quaida came up with some great tunes, would you buy their CD? How is it different?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Out of curiousity, if Al Quaida came up with some great tunes, would you buy their CD? How is it different?

LOL, are you kidding? I'm no fan of the Dixie Chicks, but I seriously doubt that they're guilty of terrorism, murder, brainwash, 9/11, torture, genocide, hatred, jihad, etc. The only thing their guilty of is having an opinion, even if it is (perceived by some to be) stupid.

LOL, are you kidding? I'm no fan of the Dixie Chicks, but I seriously doubt that they're guilty of terrorism, murder, brainwash, 9/11, torture, genocide, hatred, jihad, etc. The only thing their guilty of is having an opinion, even if it is (perceived by some to be) stupid.

Some of their music may be considered terrorism?:)

No, I'm not seriously comparing DC to AQ, just pointing out, in an extreme fashion, that many people won't financially support people with whom they politically disagree.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

While I dislike that entire genre of "music", I do not think it is appropriate for a radio station to be censoring what the public can listen too. Music is about music, not the personal views of the performers. Performers are about as smart/stupid as everyone else, and are just as entitled to an opinion as anyone else is. But to blacklist an entertainer because of their politics??? Hmmm ... sounds like the 1950's sneaking back ...

Another strangely similar attempt to punish entertainers for their public statements took place after John said the Beatles were more popular than that guy with the long hair. Some small time radio stations -- in the South, primarily (is there a trend here?) banned the Beatles, and called for the public to the throw Beatles records in the garbage can. Funny -- the Beatles music is still huge, but nobody remembers the dorky radio people who called for a Beatles ban...

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time listening to a radio station that told me who I could and couldn't listen to...

>No, I'm not seriously comparing DC to AQ, just pointing out, in an
>extreme fashion, that many people won't financially support people
> with whom they politically disagree.

However:

-I think there's a difference between supporting (or not supporting) someone who has odd political ideas vs someone who's a criminal.

-I think most people are simply unaware of most political issues surrounding the groups/bands/actors etc they support, so that effect is a very minor one. "OOhh, but look - Barbie's got a new hat!" is a far more powerful sales tool than "Barbie perpetuates bad stereotypes."

Out of curiousity, if Al Quaida came up with some great tunes, would you buy their CD

Knowing my taste in music yes I probably would buy there CD before I'd buy the Dixie Chicks:o... Actaully I wouldnt buy the AQ's but instead just pirate it off the net;)...but theres another thread to debate aboutB|

jason
(man I'm such an ass):P
Freedom of speech includes volume

While I dislike that entire genre of "music", I do not think it is appropriate for a radio station to be censoring what the public can listen too. Music is about music, not the personal views of the performers. Performers are about as smart/stupid as everyone else, and are just as entitled to an opinion as anyone else is. But to blacklist an entertainer because of their politics??? Hmmm ... sounds like the 1950's sneaking back ...

Another strangely similar attempt to punish entertainers for their public statements took place after John said the Beatles were more popular than that guy with the long hair. Some small time radio stations -- in the South, primarily (is there a trend here?) banned the Beatles, and called for the public to the throw Beatles records in the garbage can. Funny -- the Beatles music is still huge, but nobody remembers the dorky radio people who called for a Beatles ban...

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time listening to a radio station that told me who I could and couldn't listen to...

A country(or an other genre) station is already censoring what they play, by not playing other types of music. If you really want to listen to dixie chicks change the station.

one other thing

Missouri held a Dixie "chicken toss" party Friday morning, where Chick critics were encouraged to dump the group's tapes, CDs and concert tickets into trash cans.

NO FUGGING WAY!!! I am not a hug DC fan but Amy is and for her birthday in may I bought 2 tix to see them, for almost $200 bones, throw away or burn them, you gotsta be kidding me

Hey, if you don't want em, I'll certainly take them! Maybe those tickets will go down now..hmmmm ;)

The Dixie Chicks play light-hearted get-up-and-dance party music. Maybe we should take their political statements in the same light.
Would anyone still remember Jane Fonda if she had not made those political statements?

What you resist persists.

>What ticks me off is that a lot of those stations are owned and
>operated by broadcasting corporations upon whose television
> channels you can still see movies starring that traitorous bitch Jane
> Fonda!

Some even play movies starring the killer OJ Simpson. Exercise your perogative to not support such stations if you choose. Or listen to them and watch them if you want, but don't get ticked off if you listen to them and they seem to remain in business.

Exercise your perogative to not support such stations if you choose. Or listen to them and watch them if you want, but don't get ticked off if you listen to them and they seem to remain in business.

Travis Tritt would seem to agree, in this follow-up story about the Chicks.

"As for people who have strong feelings about a celebrity's remarks, Tritt has a suggestion for how Americans can make their voices heard.

"The best way to get an entertainer's attention is to hit them in their pocketbooks," he said.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

This is not censorship, far from it. Do you guys read past the headlines? These stations were getting feedback at a rate of 75% disapproval for playing the songs. The listeners started it. What would you do if a radio station did not care what you had to say? You would not patronize them, just like the radio stations are doing with the band. This is a grassroots effect. I think it is hilarious. Personally, I could care less. But it amuses me that a performer who makes a lot of money off a typically conservative and patriotic crowd in the south makes a statement without thinking to ellicit some cheers. Then said performer realizes that the remark might cost money and she back peddles. And who was it that was standing by their beliefs again? Give me a break. The lead singer just proved foolish and hypocritical.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

An old post from 2003:

>Two facts overlooked: Actions have consequences, and words mean things.

>The [Dixie] Chicks have a right to their opinions, and the consumers of their
>products have a right to theirs. . .

>A lot of people in show business have very inflated opinions of
>themselves and their importance in the scheme of things. Some of them
>are finding out the hard way that they're wrong.

And some are finding out that they were right.

An old post from 2003:

>Two facts overlooked: Actions have consequences, and words mean things.

>The [Dixie] Chicks have a right to their opinions, and the consumers of their
>products have a right to theirs. . .

>A lot of people in show business have very inflated opinions of
>themselves and their importance in the scheme of things. Some of them
>are finding out the hard way that they're wrong.

And some are finding out that they were right.

:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.