Cornholio

Radio stations drop Dixie Chicks

I agree. My wife went to school with her in Lubbock, TX. She said she was a class-less, loud mouth problem-child then too!!! haha.

I thought the only good thing out of Lubbock was Charles Hardin Holley.

What about Buddy Holley?

Chuck

You Americans just amaze me sometimes.:D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What about Buddy Holley?

Chuck

Amaze you? That'll be the day.
:ph34r:

I guess it doesn't matter anymore. I was just sitting, reminiscing.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I agree. My wife went to school with her in Lubbock, TX. She said she was a class-less, loud mouth problem-child then too!!! haha.

What about Buddy Holley?

Chuck

I just knew, you would appreciate that!:D:D

Chuck

>Absolutely. And sometimes you reap the rewards of having the courage to speak your mind

I really think, for spoiled rich entertainers, it's less "courage" but just petulance or even sucking up to their peer groups (that goes for rabid right wing commentary too BTW). That said, it's less courage and more cowardice, or at least going with apathy. Or, for the smarter ones, just an effective way to get publicity.

I think their sales have been down compared to typical. Even after all this time. They have the right to speak up and reap that reward also.

I also understand they are just, simply, very talented musically. I'm not a country fan, but the female singers are usually a LOT better looking it seems than other music styles.

Awards presentations have little to do with popularity due with the public (those that are designed that way just don't have the same clout - entertainers are NOT interested in the public opinion whom they despise - rank by prestige the Oscar, the SAG awards and the People's Choice). A lot of grammy's from a small board of people may be due to real talent or just political sympathy. This time around it's likely both.

so, they do well enough that it's worth selling a million less albums in order to get a couple extra sympathy Grammy's from a random board of a few people. I'm glad they are talented enough to afford that.

either way, they have the right to speak up if they want to and reap whatever rewards they get - good or bad

personally? I'd rather go and be entertained than spoken to. In some cases, listening to amatuer political commentary is entertaining (speaking of Speaker's Corner)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>so, they do well enough that it's worth selling a million less albums in order to get a couple extra sympathy Grammy's from a random board of a few people. I'm glad they are talented enough to afford that.

Folks seem to think it's a "board" or "few people."
We are a voting block of 50,000 members.
It's true that the NARAS/Grammy awards are voted upon by people in the industry, the only way you get a vote is to be a world-wide published musician, or have years in the recording industry as a publisher, A&R rep, etc.
I don't think one can win when a Grammy is received. If you don't use the platform for a political statement, you're an uncaring asshole. If you do use the platform for a statement, you're an outspoken asshole.
Val Kilmer chose to be political with Robbie Robertson when I received my first Grammy. My partner and I took a lot of flak for that from both sides of the aisle. My partner thanked "Jesus Christ" and I couldn't be less Christian, but I caught a lot of flak for his comments. I spoke in Navajo and caught a lot of flak for that from other tribes.
People are *always* looking for a reason to bitch, and you're screwed no matter what angle you take.
My hat goes off to the Dixie Chicks for having the balls to stand up and say something. Maybe if more Americans stood up and said something publically we'd have an environment more like the 60's where protests and involvement actually could make a small (or not so small) difference.

My hat goes off to the Dixie Chicks for having the balls to stand up and say something. Maybe if more Americans stood up and said something publically we'd have an environment more like the 60's where protests and involvement actually could make a small (or not so small) difference.

I would think that their apology would cancel out 'having the balls'.

Do you think that Bob Dylan ever apologized (although I can't stand his music, harmonica sucks, along with his voice)? Please, don't compliment them for having courage, looks like they are outspoken cowards.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>I really think, for spoiled rich entertainers, it's less "courage" but
>just petulance or even sucking up to their peer groups . . .

You can say that for any group (and sadly people often do.) "X isn't brave for joining the military; he was too dumb to know what it entailed." "Y isn't brave for being arrested during a protest; she's a whiny rich bitch who deserves some time in jail." "Z isn't brave for fighting back; it was a selfish desire to not be hurt."

Saying what you believe in, getting death threats, then speaking your mind _again_, knowing what can happen, takes a certain amount of courage - even if you disagree with the person's politics.

>I'm not a country fan, but the female singers are usually a LOT
>better looking it seems than other music styles.

Right. That must be it.

>A lot of grammy's from a small board of people . . .

See below.

>personally? I'd rather go and be entertained than spoken to.

Then by all means do so. I've been to a few concerts that included quite a bit of political content (Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel) and it didn't bother me, nor did it seem to bother the people around me. Fortunately, there are all sorts of concerts, so there's one for everyone.

>

Right. That must be it.

That must be what? (other than a random digression)

personally? I'd rather go and be entertained than spoken to.

Then by all means do so.

You seem to take offense at me just stating my opinion, especially when I said anyone has the right to speak up, it's just a turn off for me no matter what their politics are. Even when I agree, I'd just as soon NOT have someone throw it out there as if they are the first person to have an idea - at least if I had to buy a ticket. Sorry if you're offended by that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>You seem to take offense at me just stating my opinion, especially
> when I said anyone has the right to speak up, it's just a turn off for
> me no matter what their politics are.

?? If I got offended here, I wouldn't post. This is entertainment for me while my latest batch of OHK code compiles.

>Even when I agree, I'd just as soon NOT have someone throw it out
> there as if they are the first person to have an idea - at least if I
> had to buy a ticket.

That's fine! There are a great many concerts where politics is never, ever mentioned.

I would think that their apology would cancel out 'having the balls'.

What apology? Shortly after she made her famous comment, she apologized for disrespecting the office. Basically, GB is a moron, but since he holds that office, he does deserve some respect. A few years later she said she didn't even feel that way about him anymore, that he didn't even deserve the respect that holding that position commands.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

The Dixie Chicks can just go fuck themselves with their banjo, guitar and violin necks, as far as I'm concerned.

Stick to the damn music and leave the politics to others, bitches... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

tick to the damn music and leave the politics to others, bitches...

Do you feel that way about all musicians? Or just them?

Not all of them. Some actually make good points. The Dixie Chicks just went about it all wrong.

When one says she's embarrassed the president is from Texas, that's just petty. (I'm not from Texas though)

Anybody remember the baldy female singer who ripped up the Pope's picture? Another dumbass.

U2's Bono does have his stuff right though as far as I'm concerned.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>Stick to the damn music and leave the politics to others, bitches...

Fortunately many musicians do not censor themselves as you suggest. Bob Dylan, Sting, Don McLean, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Jefferson Airplane to name a few. We're better off because those singers/groups didn't just "shut up and leave the politics to others."

Crosby Stills Nash & Young (OHIO)!!!

Edited to add: Personally, I prefer they do their political speech in song rather than slam a politician or country/nation in speeches at award ceremonies, but, eh, how do you control that? Free speech is a wonderful DOUBLE-edged sword.

steveOrino

What amazes me is, the 'Chicks', just won 5-Grammy's!? How does this happen when radio stations are not playing their music? I just wish that entertainers would keep their political opinions and over-blown egoes to themselves. The 'Chicks' have a ton of talent and I like their music but, like I said once before... The little fat one needs to shut-up!

Chuck

A fair amount of COUNTRY stations stopped playing them, not all of them. Also, they picked up a fair amount of "pop" play with their new album, so...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What apology? Shortly after she made her famous comment, she apologized for disrespecting the office. Basically, GB is a moron, but since he holds that office, he does deserve some respect.

this "respect the office" stuff is in essence a residually monarchic mind set.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

What amazes me is, the 'Chicks', just won 5-Grammy's!? How does this happen when radio stations are not playing their music? I just wish that entertainers would keep their political opinions and over-blown egoes to themselves. The 'Chicks' have a ton of talent and I like their music but, like I said once before... The little fat one needs to shut-up!

Chuck

A fair amount of COUNTRY stations stopped playing them, not all of them. Also, they picked up a fair amount of "pop" play with their new album, so...

That, makes sense. Thanks for that. Nothing wrong with a cross-over album. I like the 'Chicks'! they really are talented and play good music.

Chuck