Cornholio

Radio stations drop Dixie Chicks

What amazes me is, the 'Chicks', just won 5-Grammy's!? How does this happen when radio stations are not playing their music? I just wish that entertainers would keep their political opinions and over-blown egoes to themselves. The 'Chicks' have a ton of talent and I like their music but, like I said once before... The little fat one needs to shut-up!

Chuck

I agree. My wife went to school with her in Lubbock, TX. She said she was a class-less, loud mouth problem-child then too!!! haha.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I'll jump into this one. first, everyone has the right to say what they want from the kkk to dixie chicks; however, people have a right to disagree. Furthermore, look where they were: Texas. Home of the Alamo. Bush's home. Celeberties are not politicians, but they are held accountable for what they say/ do.
Perhaps they should consider that when they make these statments. They may lose money when they piss people off (God forbid they not be able to buy that new airplane.) I personally get tired of singers and actors who think that because they have a good song or a hit movie that they can tell me how to feel about the state of the universe.
I'll admit: I'm a Joe Nobody, and my knowledge of politics is purely academic. So, the dixie chicks should remember that their fans pay their bills and that they must cater to that demographic.
Radio stations have people to answer to, too. So in short, if true fans really care, they won't stop buying the music; but the dixie chicks must realize that they are not politicans. So they should shut the fuck up and sing!
On a side note, any bets on how long it will take to move this to SC?

The fact that she said it during a concert changes things in my mind a little. While onstage, in my opinion, the impression given is that it is the group's beliefs because when onstage with a group, you represent those on the stage with you. She also stated that she didn't mean what she said and that there is a lot of anti-american sentiment. That tells me she either apologized to help keep people happy back here in the states so help keep up ticket, cd, etc. sales, or she did it just to please the crowd in London. Either way, it's not an attack on the person to ban their products in our private lives and by privately owned radio stations. No one is being forced to stop buying, playing and listening to their music. Her record deal is not being cut short because of her comments. She is not out of work, and unless she has serious financial issues, she sure as hell isn't going to go hungry. I don't feel that this even comes close to an attack on her outside of what occurs on the political news channels every day. I hear constantly that Bush is incompetent or cheated to get in the white house, etc, blah, blah, blah (I live in california, which as we all know, is generally left of center.) It's more a common part of politics nowadays. Attacking one's character is something we face throughout life. From elementary school to our deathbeds. Kids are mean and so are those that are politically inclined by any means, be it govornment or otherwise.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

What amazes me is, the 'Chicks', just won 5-Grammy's!? How does this happen when radio stations are not playing their music? I just wish that entertainers would keep their political opinions and over-blown egoes to themselves. The 'Chicks' have a ton of talent and I like their music but, like I said once before... The little fat one needs to shut-up!

Chuck

It happens because the Grammys aren't selected by those who buy the music, they're selected by a board.

Edit to add: ...and yes, you're right... the little fat one does need to shut the hell up...
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I'll jump into this one. first, everyone has the right to say what they want from the kkk to dixie chicks; however, people have a right to disagree. Furthermore, look where they were: Texas. Home of the Alamo. Bush's home. Celeberties are not politicians, but they are held accountable for what they say/ do.
Perhaps they should consider that when they make these statments. They may lose money when they piss people off (God forbid they not be able to buy that new airplane.) I personally get tired of singers and actors who think that because they have a good song or a hit movie that they can tell me how to feel about the state of the universe.
I'll admit: I'm a Joe Nobody, and my knowledge of politics is purely academic. So, the dixie chicks should remember that their fans pay their bills and that they must cater to that demographic.
Radio stations have people to answer to, too. So in short, if true fans really care, they won't stop buying the music; but the dixie chicks must realize that they are not politicans. So they should shut the fuck up and sing!

Hear, hear!

Chuck

How does this happen when radio stations are not playing their music?

Maybe not many stations have actually taken them off the play list?

Maybe radio stations are not that important anymore in spreading new music?

That, very well could be. I do know, a lot of Texas radio stations quit playing their music. Some of the smaller stations have eased-up a bit and started playing their music. Entertainers are just that... entertainers. I know, we have freedom of speech and all but, I just don't care what Brad and Angela, TuPac, Hanoi Jane or any other entainer thinks about politics or which toothpaste to use. Just do their job... entertain!

Chuck

Hell, even out here in Cali, I haven't heard dixie chics in a long time...

once again, Grammys ar chosen by a board, not the general public

Thanks for that, about the Grammys!
As for Natalie Maines, her big yapper does not help the other two. The comment she made about the President came back on all of them.

Chuck

It happens because the Grammys aren't selected by those who buy the music, they're selected by a board.

Edit to add: ...and yes, you're right... the little fat one does need to shut the hell up...

As for Natalie Maines, her big yapper does not help the other two. The comment she made about the President came back on all of them.

Chuck

we, in the military, tend to call such a person a "buddy fucker"

(easy stitch, it's more a fucking them over instead of just fucking:P)

I am a native Texan, and as such, God has given me the right to chime in on this bullshit.

Natalie has nothing to apologize for because Gorge W. Bush is not from Texas! He may have campaigned and been elected governor at one time, but he wasn't born there.

As I understand it, he was born in Conneticut. He therefore has no credibility as a Texan. In the beginning, I wanted to like him, I really did; he is the spitting image of my late granddad, whom I adored. Imagine my horror when I realized someone who looks so much like someone I loved turns appears to be such an incompetant fool.

One question: What do you suppose would have happened if Bill Clinton's administration had done what Bush's has?

Any one of us can say what ever the hell we want about anyone we choose. Does that right come to an end because you are in front of an audience? True, you may have a greater responsability because of that position, but come on, people. These are country musicians we're talking about here.

We shouldn't be putting that much stock in what they say, and they certainly shouldn't be role models for youth, unlike pro athletes. :P

Oh, and as to how you might feel after reading this post, I have two personalities that would reply:

Non-Regional Humanist: "Sorry if I offended you with my opinions, I just needed to rant a bit. Thanks for listening."

Native Texan, of Scottish Descent: "Kiss my ass if you don't like it. Now give me my Native Texan license plate before I put my boot up your ass."

El Gato

Edited to add: By the way, does anybody know how many times her life was threatened? Chicken shit, if you ask me. (I know you didn't.)
T.I.N.S.

Just FYI - in case you didn't notice, but this thread is over 3 years old!!

Which means I take no responsibility for anything that I might have said over two years ago. :P:P:P

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Chuck

we, in the military, tend to call such a person a "buddy fucker"

(easy stitch, it's more a fucking them over instead of just fucking:P)

:D:D:D

Chuck

>So, the dixie chicks should remember that their fans pay their bills
>and that they must cater to that demographic.

Indeed. The fact that their latest album, headed up by a politically-oriented song, went platinum indicates that they ARE catering to a demographic that works well for them. Heck, it was #1 on Billboard for two weeks - not just for country albums, but for all albums. So they're doing something that works for most _people_ not just their fans.

>but the dixie chicks must realize that they are not politicans. So
>they should shut the fuck up and sing!

Singers who "just shut the fuck up and sing" don't win five Grammys. The history of popular music in america shows a long history of musicians bringing their politics into their performances, and indeed some of the most famous groups out there sang (and spoke out) about the Vietnam War, the Korean War, the Cold War, our foreign policies, our treatment of our own citizens - and now, the Iraq war.

Two weeks ago, I went to the circus. They had performing tigers and dogs. I paid my money to see the trainer make the tigers lay down and roll over.

If I had wanted the trainer to talk about politics, I would have gone to that show. Knowing that the audience is full of people who like tigers, it would have been stupid if the trainer had said something bad about them.

In fact, if the trainer said something offensive like that, he could expect that some of his audience may not want to see his show anymore.

Everybody has free speech, but we should have personal responsibility for the obvious repercussions of our choices.

>If I had wanted the trainer to talk about politics, I would have gone to that show.

Right. Now you know that if you want to not hear about politics - don't go to a Dixie Chicks concert or buy their music. From what we've seen, though, a lot of people do want just that.

>Everybody has free speech, but we should have personal
>responsibility for the obvious repercussions of our choices.

Absolutely. And sometimes you reap the rewards of having the courage to speak your mind and to stand up against death threats.

I agree. My wife went to school with her in Lubbock, TX. She said she was a class-less, loud mouth problem-child then too!!! haha.

I thought the only good thing out of Lubbock was Charles Hardin Holley.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So in short, if true fans really care, they won't stop buying the music; but the dixie chicks must realize that they are not politicans. So they should shut the fuck up and sing!

Apparently the DCs ARE now politicians, and quite successful ones in their chosen style. In the same sense that Bob Dylan was a very successful politician in the '60s and '70s.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I thought the only good thing out of Lubbock was Charles Hardin Holley.

What about Buddy Holley?

Chuck

Two weeks ago, I went to the circus. They had performing tigers and dogs. I paid my money to see the trainer make the tigers lay down and roll over.

If I had wanted the trainer to talk about politics, I would have gone to that show. Knowing that the audience is full of people who like tigers, it would have been stupid if the trainer had said something bad about them.

In fact, if the trainer said something offensive like that, he could expect that some of his audience may not want to see his show anymore.

Everybody has free speech, but we should have personal responsibility for the obvious repercussions of our choices.

I agree, with what you say. There is also a time and place for everything. Too many folks forget that and use a musical concert to voice their political beliefs or tear-up a picture of the Pope. If, it's a politically themed concert to begin with, that my be different. I'm with you, I don't want to go to a rodeo and have one of the bull riders spout-off about his choice for president!!!

Chuck

My apololgies; you were not the intended target of my rant. And I had no idea this thread was older than my niece! I was responding to the Reuter's story and your question "What think you?" I should have been a little more clear.

For what it's worth, for those who've read this thread this far and need to be reminded here's what Cornholio's post said:

Ok, IMO, this is bullshit. I don't care where the president comes from, but I do care about free speech. True, the chicks are allowed to express themselves, but having radio stations around the country remove them from their playlist.... this is just wrong. I mean she was just expressing her opinion regarding the war and her opinion of the president. Honestly - I feel similar. I support our troops, but not necessariily those views that our president has.

I could not agree more. Very well put!
T.I.N.S.