gemini

It is Time for This Nonsense to Stop!

The above quote doesn't say anything about the separation of church and state. All it says is that you can't pass laws favoring one religion over another.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

It doesn't say establishment of a religion over some other religion. It says an "establishment of religion" end of phrase. Isn't that what they did when they made a law that added the words "under god" to the pledge? Isn't that the government establishing that god exists?

If you agree with this Quade.......then it also must be time to change our currancy. "In God we trust" is printed on every bill and coin.

Well, actually, yes I do and yes it is about time to make that change as well..
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, I'm free to turn the channel on the T.V. (or better yet turn it off.), select the sites I WANT to go to on the internet, and read articles of MY choosing in magazine and newspapers. However, when the goverment gets involved in religion, (besides being hypacritical, and pandering for votes) I can't just ignore it, it's being rubbed in my face.

I don't happen to be religious, I"m an atheist ( actually a secular humanist, which is just a $5 word for a 2 bit concept...) that was brougth up with very fundamentalists Christian roots. That being said, if I were still a Christian, I would be absolutely embarrassed at the goverments involvment and posturing towards Christianity ( BTW, it's Judeo-Christianity that the goverment panders towards, other faiths need not apply). There involvement makes a mockery of all that religions hold dear, ethics, tradition, faith, integrity, etc.

You freely accepted the religion you now particapate in (o.k., you were probably influenced by your parents or community.) so why not give that same freedom of choice to future generations? If your religion is truely appealing , it will gather converts based on it own merits and not by some force feeding of the goverment. The mixture of the goverment and religion is a voltile and noxious brew that is only pleasing to the pallete if it so happens to suit your taste. History is repleate with the end resutls of meagling of these two components. That my friend, is why "God-less" heathens like myself are so fearful of the dissolution of the seperation of church and state. It's not that I fear a vengefull God, but rather the irrational acts of man.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies WWOD?

Landmissle

I find it amazing that people who are supposedly gods most devout servants molest children.

Anyone who molests children or cover up for those who molest children are NOT God's most devout servants. I don't care what a person's title is or their supposed vocation. Wrong is wrong, noone is above that! Actions speak louder than words.

As for "In God We Trust" being on our money, if our elected officials want it to be removed, I say go for it. One of the greatest things about our country is the fact that we are a melting pot of religions, races, etc. And we are free to speak our mind!!!!

Are there not more important things our high courts should be considering? What is the big deal?

I tend to agree with the second, rhetorical question. Who really cares? Who's it going to affect one way or the other regardless of whether those words are there or not? Yet even a bunch of skydivers seem to find the time to argue about something so completely unimportant.

:|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Why is the mention of God so offensive to so many people, but we tolerate the trash the media spills out daily via television, internet, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

It's not that the mentioning of God is offensive, it's WHO is mentioning God that is.
quade -

I tend to agree with the second, rhetorical question. Who really cares? Who's it going to affect one way or the other regardless of whether those words are there or not? Yet even a bunch of skydivers seem to find the time to argue about something so completely unimportant.

I think you answered your own question....lots of us feel it is important.

>Can you Quote the section of the Constitution where is says anything
> about the seperation of church and state?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; "

Amendment 1. Means basically the government cannot make any laws that deal with any specific religion, nor can they make any laws that condemn one specific religion. Churches and the government must remain separate.

With you there Quade - if the government decided to print Ronald McDonald on every bill and force schoolchildren to mention him every morning we'd all look at it somewhat differently, there's not really a big difference - I'm not a donaldian , I prefer quesadillas. The separation of church and state thing is very important . I think we can all be reminded just by watching the news of late exactly what happens when that basic rule is not applied , and I'm sure we can all see wrong in the actions and reactions of competing religions in the world right now .

I'm not after starting an argument here either- I'm very happy that people can find comfort in their beliefs , I'm just expressing an opinion - that I believe organized religion amounts to children in a playground trying to persuade each other to believe in their imaginary friends . That ANY organization much less the government of the USA should sponsor any particular imaginary friend is absurd and offensive to people without imaginary friends or those who have different ones. THE END.

I really don't think there is an argument going on hear, but rather an intelligent discussion.

This is what our country is about....freedom of speech, freedom of religion...you know, the Bill of Rights.

I respect everyone's opinions here. I may not agree with them all, but I respect them.

As a foreigner, the entire concept of a "Pledge of Allegiance" has always seemed Orwellian, and contratictory to the freedoms that America seems to never stop bragging about.

Quite simpy, I'm surprised at not only its existance but its survival for so long. I'm also surprised at how ingrained it is to the american psyche. It seems to be a holy cow, that the sheer suggestion at its removal brings expressions of disbelief.

If I didn't know better, I would've thought federalist Americans would celebrate the freedom of not having their thoughts dictated.

Those who truely love their country, do so on their own terms. They don't do it because their school tells them so, or how.

Something to think about,

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Can you Quote the section of the Constitution where is says anything about the seperation of church and state? Try.......

Interesting Article on this exact topic can be found here

More articles that pertain to the subject of Church and state can be found here
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Expanding a bit on the printing of the word God on currency et. al.

Ya know, it's not just the ACLU or aethiests that should have a problem with this concept.

For instance see; http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm and scroll down to "Writing the Name of God".

This is part of the Jewish 613 Mitzvots.
quade -

>As a foreigner, the entire concept of a "Pledge of Allegiance" has
> always seemed Orwellian, and contratictory to the freedoms that
> America seems to never stop bragging about.

Just about every country has their national song, their flag, their slogan, their anthem to rally behind. It's nothing new, and keep in mind that for all our rebelliousness, we inherited most of our government (and nearly all our culture) from Britian.

>If I didn't know better, I would've thought federalist Americans would
> celebrate the freedom of not having their thoughts dictated.

And have to _think_ about it? Too much trouble.

>Those who truely love their country, do so on their own terms. They
> don't do it because their school tells them so, or how.

You are assuming that most people actually think. I find this is not the case, and that what they learn in school actually becomes their view of the world. Ask a typical high school grad what the Civil War was about, and see if their answer reflects the standard high school "Lincoln freed the slaves" or whether their reply contains independent thought.

*hoho wondering what it'd be like to get rid of that flat-topped pyramid and unblinking eye on money...then wondering wtf does that mean?...then running away not wanting to start another discussion in current thread....then thinking why is our money one color when other countries get to have multicolor?...then thinking must be we're trying to save ink :P...then looking at gemini to say sorry to go off-topic with additional nonsense*

*then thinking why is our money one color when other countries get to have multicolor?

Actually, I read an article a few days ago (maybe last week) about adding a purple tint to some of our currency. I'm too lazy to try and find it right now though. Anybody else see it?

As for the rest of the debate, I'm personally quite satisified with the decision the court came to.

Rhoni

>then thinking why is our money one color when other countries get to
> have multicolor?...

I always wondered how blind people in the US tell money apart. In many other countries the bills are a different size, which makes things easier for them.

what it'd be like to get rid of that flat-topped pyramid and unblinking eye on money...then wondering wtf does that mean?

Thought it was like some kind of Free Mason's thing or something?
;)

then thinking why is our money one color when other countries get to have multicolor?

That's cuz US money probably came out before the invention of Monopoly?