tharshman

Student rig left side instructor handle.

Hello, I am the one with the previous post on going left. Someone (very experienced) said while waiting on my rig to come back and if wanting to jump, and needing to pull left now, should rent a student rig since it has the left side handle for instructors. I asked can a fun jumper pull that handle as well and he said absolutely. So I throw this out for a poll on if I should do that so I can jump since my rig is a few weeks away from coming back.

Normally no, depending on the design.

Many have a piano hinge around the whole boc, and the instructor deployment involves pulling an handle connected to the cutaway cable that hold the piano hinge together. This either opens the boc up, or in some cases disconnects the whole boc from the rig, pilot chute and all.

It isn't designed for regular deployments.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

>So I throw this out for a poll on if I should do that so I can jump since my rig is
>a few weeks away from coming back.

No. That handle gives you a decent chance of deploying an unstable student. If the student is stable, the PC just sits there in the burble. (The handle does not "pull" the PC, just opens the pouch.)