Acole6357

My skydive trip

Sorry is this a bit long but bear with me please.So today i woke up feeling awesome as today was the day i was going to make my first tadem jump,i was not nerveous at all and all morning was so amped to go,my heart never really raced all morning as it was the opposite of racing which to me was so weird as im not one to engage in scary activites,it take me 20 minyltes to get blood work done at the doctors office.my hands shake and my heart races until i calm down but today and last week where different,for a month i had my mind set on doing one thing to prove everyone wrong who ever doubted me doing somethibg risky.

so around 1130 i got in my buddies car after he picked me up and we headed down the highway to the skydive center,me still feeling so calm and just so amped to get in the plane,my heart was besting so slow and i was just filled with excitment.so we got to the skydive center and i went up to talk to the woman who took the payments and explained to her about my back issues and she looked into me jumping and said it should be no issue and to let my instructor know what was going on and to please try to arrange his feet in a way thet the landing would be soft,so i got the harness on after watching people land and still as calm annd amped as ever,my hands never shook or my heart never raced.when my instructor called me name he put my harness on and we wait 5 minutes before going out to the plane.i then proceeded to tell hime my issues as the woman behind the pay area told me to and he told me it was up to me if i wanted to jump so i said yes im ready.

He then backed out and said he did not feel safe taking me and i understood,can ya'll tell me what i said or did wrong in order not to be able to go,im going back to my doctor next weekto get a doctors note to take with me when i go back and get X-rays so my new doc can tell me,should i go back and knock skydiving off my bucketlist or is my back realltly an issue and i should just not do it anymore.oh and is it normal to not be nervous and calm the whole time before the trip.i really want to feel the rush of the wind hiting my body and want to be up in the sky so bad,doing so much research online i no longer am scared to sky dive and have not been for months,its my backs that the main issue.i wish my effing back was not an issue.as i want to feel the rush of conquering a fear ive had since i was young.

cornpone
9 years ago i slide down a firepole and susatained a t-12 spine burst fracture,had 13 hours of surgery.i have a titanium cage in my t-12 area now.and have lower back arthritis now due to degenerative disc disease in my lower back,but thats not bad at all.its crazy ive done risky activites in the 6 years after the healing process that could of dammaged my back again with just a dull ache for an hour after.my doctkr told me it was up to me if i wanted to risk the tadem jump as i just started seeing him.and my surgeon is so impossible to get a hold of.

I'm not an instructor of any level for the record.

From being around at DZ's all day and seeing Tandem loads going up all the time, and being on the same plane as tandem students, this is what i'd say.

Tell your instructor immediately as soon as you meet them about your back, as opposed to waiting until you get on / near boarding the plane. This way you've got adequate time to talk to them about your issues, and there may have been another instructor who would have taken you up.

With regards to the nerves, i'd say it'd be normal for some to not necessarily feel nervous until the ride to altitude on the plane. Some people are nervous in the loading area, when they're being briefed, and then some only really feel it when the door opens.

If you didn't get that feeling yet, just wait - i'm sure you'll have it on the ride to altitude or when that door opens and you see people disappearing out of it :)

Good luck with your venture, i really hope you can get to make a jump