GuyEgan77

A jump fail / compensating for disability

Failed my first two A jumps . Have limited mobility in my left hip . I cant get a good arch because of it . Just curious if anyone has not passed A jumps more than twice. Also if any disabled skydivers have some advice for me. I did some tunnel work that didn't go too smoothly , leaning towards giving up . :(

Dude, there are some crazy vegetables and triple amputees out there rocking it. Do you think they can arch?

How much time is 'some' tunnel work? A few minutes?
If they didn't help you to improve, get another coach/ different tunnel more experienced with disabled firstflyers, book an hour and work from there.
Go back to skydiving once you nailed a somewhat stable belly flying position and feel comfortable in the air.

It just seems hard at the start...

And yes, I know a few that failed more than one jump in their AFF progression. One is a tunnel coach now btw ;)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I think the tunnel might be a good place to work out your issues. I'm not sure what your experience was, but it is vital that you talk to the tunnel instructor before your flights and explain what your goals are. If they think you are just a tunnel tourist you won't get the training you need. I would recommend arranging some one on one coaching at a tunnel with an experienced coach. You'll get a lot more feedback than if you're lumped in with a big group of flyers.

That being said, failing early AFF levels is no indication of eventual skill. Don't give up. There are lots of people who struggled at first and went on to be successful skydivers.

- Dan G

Tunnel is where it is at. Might take more time that you want but will pay off. Skydiving is long journey, not a quick thrill (that's what tandems are for).

"A little tunnel" should be at least an hour. If you are having major issues after that, then yeah, you can say maybe it isn't for you.

Hi Guy,

First of all stop worrying, secondly, relax.

I've had the pleasure of teaching quite a few people missing limbs and with severely limited movement. https://www.facebook.com/BLESMATrans4mers/

What I've found is that you have to throw away the coaching rule book and start from scratch.

Do you have any footage that I could look at? That would give me a good insight to what your problem is.

Blue skies,

Andy
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!

Plenty of people repeat student jumps, 2 repeats and you're doing great. 19 repeats with the same problem is the max I've seen before they finally went to the tunnel to get the quick-feedback and repeated attempts that the tunnel gives us.

Look on the bright side here: what's next for you? More skydives! Yay skydives!
That can be "what's next" for as long as you want it to be, it is for me... more more more!

Andy, I want to Thank you for your encouragement. I have been so indecisive until i read your post (and others as well ) . You have given me confidence and hope that i ca do this . I don't have any footage , but i have found a coach to help me in the tunnel. I can do this !!;)

GuyEgan77

Have limited mobility in my left hip . I cant get a good arch because of it :(

An arch makes stability so much easier to attain, and is ideal for the newbie. But it isn't necessary as one builds skills. Flat is ok, even dearched is OK if you are actively adjusting and compensating. Asymmetries can be compensated for. (But it'll be easier if you stay completely symmetrical -- if you can't throw the left leg back, then the right should probably stay even with it for now. )

It may take some time in the tunnel to get the hang of basic stability but that applies to plenty of regular newbies too.

Your bicycle may not have training wheels, but you can still learn to ride...