PlanA

Tandem for a tetraplegic?

Hello all,

This is a real outside chance, and I am on the limits of my knowledge here, but my friend's father was rendered paralysed in an accident 5 years ago, and is desperate to do a tandem jump. Is this at all possible?

He doesn't have the use of his legs or arms, although he can move his hands a little, to operate the controls on his wheelchair.

(I realise this may mean he is not strictly tetraplegic - I do not wish to offend anyone with my lack of knowledge).

However he does require 24 hour live in care so he is no way independent.

After 5 years in hospital care he has returned to his now specially adapted home and is yearning to experience and enjoy life again.

As my husband and I are jumpers, he has asked me to find out if anyone will take him on a jump - and he is so passionate about it that I would really love to make it happen.

We're in the South East of the UK... but any leads/ suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, all... x

I was on a dive boat in Cozumel in Feb with a woman diver who was a quadriplegic. She had no personal ability to clear her mask. She had a couple hundred dives.

The oldest skydiver i ever trained was 79. He could not perform an arch because his arthritis was so bad. He did fine.

So yes, but you will have to look around to find a match for a instructor, preferably who has dealt with disabled students before.

http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/topic/24910-paraplegic-and-quadriplegic-skydiving/

At Jumptown (Orange, Massachusetts), where I jump almost every weekend, I've seen several paraplegics do tandems, of course not often (I want to say groups of a few people once or twice a season and 3 or 4 more over the season, and honestly I am not sure if most are fully paraplegic or only leg impaired, and how that would affect a tandem flight), I would assume that it takes a bit of extra preparation, maybe only the most experienced TMs feel comfortable doing it etc. no idea really, so you probably want to give the DZ a call well in advance to arrange the whole thing etc. BUT I know for a fact we are very very happy to welcome them and have them safely jump.
So, long story short and since I don't want to talk on things I don't know... call them, explain the situation and see if they will be able to accommodate all the special needs.
It is certainly something that can be done.
I have "a strong feeling" that it will all work out.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Different dropzones in the UK have certainly done this in the past. It takes some planning and instructor skills that aren't to be found everywhere, and there is added difficulty and (thus) risk, so don't be disheartened if the first place you ask says no.

Call around, you will find someone who can do it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?