skytribe

Singer 112W140 Thread Tension Disk Release

I'm trying to determine why the thread tensions disks are not releasing on the machine when I use the knee lift to lift the presser foot.

As I don't have a exploded view parts diagram its difficult to determine if I'm simply missing a part to make the linkage - anyone out there have one of these machines that may be able to take some pictures or sketch a diagram to explain the parts for the linkage between the knee lift and the tension disks.

probably just back of the disk that the ( push-pin ) pushes against. it gets bent in over years of work . or the push-pin is just worn out and short . Also just peak inside and look at the assembly that pushes on the pin back behind it .

(imho).. I would not even dickaround with the old original tension assembly . it pretty universal, plentiful and cheep part . Replace it if it is old and worn out . It SO Much more easy just to get a whole new thread tension assembly of ebay or amazon . There easy under 30-$ and just put new pin, disks & spring new again Pop it on there yourself, it's only an hour of your life and it back to new again and yu can depend on it working .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thread-Tension-Bracket-Complete-248217-For-Singer-112W-212W-212G-Machines-/401030891838

I'm trying to determine why the thread tensions disks are not releasing on the machine when I use the knee lift to lift the presser foot.

As I don't have a exploded view parts diagram its difficult to determine if I'm simply missing a part to make the linkage - anyone out there have one of these machines that may be able to take some pictures or sketch a diagram to explain the parts for the linkage between the knee lift and the tension disks.

There are three main components:

1. The rubbing block on the backside of the arm. This pushes the Center Push Pin to the front of the machine.

2. The Center Push Pin

3. The Tenison assembly

The tension assembly can be removed and checked to see if it is working properly.

Once removed, simply press on the tab plate (on the backside of the tension) and see if it will open the discs. If it does it is working properly and may need just a little adjustment.
This a simple process to bend the tab outward slightly to engage with the center push pin a little more.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

(imho).. I would not even dickaround with the old original tension assembly . it pretty universal, plentiful and cheep part . Replace it if it is old and worn out . It SO Much more easy just to get a whole new thread tension assembly of ebay or amazon . There easy under 30-$ and just put new pin, disks & spring new again Pop it on there yourself, it's only an hour of your life and it back to new again and yu can depend on it working .

True that they are cheap, but I would avoid getting rid of the original.

The new Chinese ones are crap and may be worse off than the one that you had in some respects.

The old ones are made of some great metal where as the new ones are cheap metal and might last a few months.

I say take the time and fix what you have. You will be better off in the long run.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

If I knew what I know now when I bought my 112w140 I would have never fixed up a busted old machine. Now I question why there is a busted ass old Juki on my workbench... Good news is that I know a lot more about how to fix them.

A year so ago I was talking to one of the guys at pennsew and he offered if I picked up a tacker from them he'd throw a spare 112w140 head on the pallet too. You might want to look them up and ask if they still have a ton of them laying around or if they went off for scrap. Could be a good source for parts.

-Michael