Russ84

Skydiving with an insulin pump

I am a type 1 diabetic and I started skydiving about one year ago. I wear an insulin pump and a Continuous Glucose Monitor and would be very interested in talking to anyone else who jumps with a pump. Any tips or advice that anyone has to offer would be very much appreciated. I can be contacted at [email protected] Thanks guys.

The tough part is finding a good spot for each. I have a dex that I put on my arm. Goes at the top of the tricep and bottom of the deltoid. The only risk is doing RW if someone docks hard on the arm gripper. I use skintac so it's probably not going to be completely ripped off ($800 for a new transmitter is an expensive skydive).

I'm on the omnipod pump. I've had reasonable results with it on my thigh but it was ripped off once when someone slid back with their rig on my lap. I've put them on my stomach with good results. High enough that a leg strap won't catch it and low enough that it's well away from the chest strap.

You can also get something called vet wrap that's a stretchy wrap to cover the site if it's on your arm or leg. I know parents use it on their diabetic kids for sports.

Hope that helps

-Michael

Hi I am type 1 with CGM and pump. Sensor and infusion set on belly and pump tucked in my waistband under my jumpsuit. If wearing regular clothes I disconnect my pump and put in a zippered pocket before getting on the plane. Haven't had any issues but not a lot of jumps either.

John

Another type 1 here, 15+ years now DX'd at the age of 16. I've been jumping for over a year now without any BG related problems. When I first started I left the pump on the ground, but I eventually began taking it, I haven't been on a CGM in a while now but it was very useful when I had it (sensor placed on abdomen). However I'm back on MDI now after a post warranty pump failure last year. My rigger was very helpful and sewed zippers into my cargo pants and shorts pockets (jump suits are not my thing), this allows me to carry and secure my test kit and reserve sugar supply as a precaution. Target BG's to mid 100's and no lower, keep that big cushion between you're current level and lows, and you'll be golden. Testing on the plane should be routine as another precaution, this is what I do, hopefully this advice is useful.

As for pump position (Animas ping I had), I clipped it deep inside on a layer of shorts, outer shorts or pants goes over it and tighten the belt, with the rig on and the harness's leg strap pressed right beneath the pump, it was fully secure, it wasn't going anywhere. Oh and put the pump in lock mode too.

Only one bad BG ever got me on a skydive, adrenaline release soaring it to 300 due to a mal and cutaway on my 202nd, the chop was fun but the high BG wasn't :S pounded lots of water and off we went to find my main and free bag.

John

I love using CGM, it's nice to be able to see BG right before getting on the plane. Love the zipper idea, I'll have to try that! Funny about adrenaline, when I was in AFF i was so stressed my BG would be in the 300 range and not come down. Now that I'm more used to it my BG stays way more stable. Also always carry a cliff bar just in case. Good to see other T1s out there not letting it slow you down!

John