cruelpops

Turf Toe... Are you kidding me?

A little background; over the years I've beaten my body to hell. Climbing, skiing, running, football - you get the picture. Well from that I have chronically bad feet, ankles and knees.

A few weeks ago I did 30 jumps over 5 days - no problems - exhausted, tired and dehydrated. Came home and stepped off my front porch wrong and popped my left foot. I thought it was a sprain or - at worst - gout and the doc says, "nope, turf toe" and said rest, ice, elevation and compression. That was 3 weeks ago and it still hurts like a mutha fugga.

Anyone ever have turf toe? It's a total PIA because I can't put any pressure on the foot. Good drugs though. What were you experiences - if any?

Jack Lambert retired from the NFL because of turf toe. I don't know what it is, but if someone as tough as him says "It is the worst pain I have ever had," then it must be bad. My sympathies.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

cruelpops

A little background; over the years I've beaten my body to hell. Climbing, skiing, running, football - you get the picture. Well from that I have chronically bad feet, ankles and knees.

A few weeks ago I did 30 jumps over 5 days - no problems - exhausted, tired and dehydrated. Came home and stepped off my front porch wrong and popped my left foot. I thought it was a sprain or - at worst - gout and the doc says, "nope, turf toe" and said rest, ice, elevation and compression. That was 3 weeks ago and it still hurts like a mutha fugga.

Anyone ever have turf toe? It's a total PIA because I can't put any pressure on the foot. Good drugs though. What were you experiences - if any?

It really depends on what exactly happened with ligaments etc have u done an MRI scan? That's the only thing that can show all the details of the injury (since it shows both soft and hard tissues). If ligament is torn then it might take over 2-3 months to heal fully and for pain to go away.

Please don't rush to get back on feet and when you do, wear firm shoes that will support and protect ur toe.

Get well!
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Three weeks is a long time to suffer without a reduction in pain. If you completely tore through a ligament, it will never heal without surgery.

For example, seven years ago, I tore three knee ligaments during a plane crash. I did not get a complete night's sleep for two months after the accident, because knee pain kept waking me up. I gritted my teeth and "took the pain" while struggling through two rounds of physio-therapy and another 300 tandem jumps before admitting that I was never going to be as strong as I was before the accident.
Six years after the accident, I finally found a surgeon who knew how to repair my "interesting" torn ligaments.

If your toe still hurts - after three weeks - get an MRI and ask for a second opinion from another foot surgeon.