UKParachutist98

RAPS or AFF

So, still at school, 16 and desperate to get qualified. Have done 2 SL jumps at nethers but struggled with the sit exits due to the wind and sensory overload.

I can afford perhaps 2/3 jumps a month.

I am also fairly sevely dispraxic. This affects motor planning (read fast coordination), hypersensitive and streanth. However i am fairly good in the tunnel to the point of flying with another person.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_coordination_disorder
so the question is do i carry on doing RAPS or save £1000 and do AFF with the (i think) dive exits

ps not been able to talk to instructors as i haven't been back to the dz yet

I'm never normally one to suggest AFF over the Category System (I'm biased, as a Static Line instructor B| ).
That said, everyone learns & progresses differently, has different issues & difficulties regarding skydiving training.
I have known people who have struggled with the student pivot exit, transfer to AFF & find it a much better system for them.

With only 2 SL jumps, it would certainly be unusual *not* to feel a degree of sensory overload. Lighter students can also find it more difficult to exit the plane on a static line due to the force of the relative wind pushing them back into the plane.
However, given that you've also progressed so far in the tunnel, I would say that AFF might well be the better option - you're ahead of the SL game, position-wise, & have a fair way to go before free fall where you can start to demonstrate what you've learned.

If money is the issue, I work at Nethers & would be very happy to spend time with you, working on your (SL) exit & discussing ideas how to help you overcome the issues you're facing but my recommendation would be to have a chat with an AFF Instructor, get the money together & use your tunnel experience to help you from jump #1.

Agreed. I'm all in favor of starting out on S/L and then transferring over to AFF. Lots of students on S/L progression (RAPS) struggle with instability on the shorter freefall jumps due to poor body position they're not even aware of due to sensory overload. "You kicked your legs; go back up and do it again. And relax!" isn't very effective instruction. Been there, did that. S/L is a great way to punch through sensory overload and concentrate solely on the basic staying-alive skills; then AAD is a great way to learn freefall stability and control. That's why I'm in favor of hybrid training programs, which IMO not nearly enough DZs offer or encourage.

Hi UK Parachutist98,

I concur with BlueCat above (who i think might be Paul?) Go down and chat through things next time your down at Netheravon, and use the exit trainers that they have down there. Time spent on the ground is free, time spent in the air costs ££.

If you can have a chat with Dave Pacey (AFF-I) who teaches at Nethers, he has experience teaching students with disabilities. He can take you in the tunnel as well, I always think its worth if you can using the same instructor in the tunnel and in the sky as you gain trust in each other, and you get comfortable seeing the same person throughout your training. Where have you being doing your tunnel training and who with, if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Andy
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!