iwanttofly

Neck problems vs canopy choice

My situation is quite simple. Getting rear ended few times left me with four herniated discs in my neck and same amount in my lower back. I’ve been jumping Spectre with Dacron lines and with combination of exercise and stretching I’m successfully keeping pain under control. If you jump Dacron you know that even occasional hard opening are not that bad. But I am getting extremely bored under this canopy. Any of you guys with neck injuries have any recommendations on a canopy that is fun yet has soft openings? I was considering Crossfire 2 with Dacron but my loading of 1.4 would be at the lower point of recommended loading and it might be like driving a Porsche 55mph on highway. Fun but not utilizing its potential.

I have a Stiletto loaded at 1.8 with Dacron lines and a slightly larger slider. Always good openings, and I think you will find a Stiletto to be fun because they turn quickly.

I don't have a neck injury, but I also will not put up with a hard opening canopy any more.

iwanttofly

My situation is quite simple. Getting rear ended few times left me with four herniated discs in my neck and same amount in my lower back. I’ve been jumping Spectre with Dacron lines and with combination of exercise and stretching I’m successfully keeping pain under control.

Would be interested to hear what exercises/stretches you do - always looking for new ones for both of those areas.
(Would also potentially be interested in that Spectre if/when you get your new canopy - what size if it?) B|
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

I have a case of whiplash, plus I fall like a teflon-coated bowling ball. A typical deployment was alot like a car crash, and usually had me seeing stars...the solution was to have my rigger make me a pocket slider. it makes for soft slow openings with a lot less wear and tear on your body. Discuss it with your rigger, see what he says. you probably want to add 300 to 500 feet to your pitch altitude - it will slow your openings that much!

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Lazurus brings up a good option.

Brian Germain made me a pocketed slider for my Samurai when I was dealing with cervical pain issues. Worked amazing. It would however take 1,000 to 1,200 feet to open so I always had to pitch higher. Thankfully PT and the Chiro straightened out most of my neck pain issues.

Personally I would get a Samurai 150, send it to Brian and have him make a pocketed slider for you. It worked amazing for me. I don't know if you are ready for a full elliptical, but considering you are talking about a Crossfire2 it is a safe assumption that at least you think you are.

If you do make the jump from a Spectre to any full elliptical do yourself a favor and don't go down a size in the process. You should find the change from Spectre to full elliptical anything fun enough on its own accord I would think.
I am an asshole, but I am honest