gioele

jumping after thoracotomy

Hi fellows,
eventually the time for my first post came, I salute you.
First of all, please forgive my poor english...
Then, I looked for the argument and didn't find anything, I hope I'm in the right section.
Did anyone face thoracotomy during his jumper life? I'm going to have a posterolateral thoracotomy to have a lung lobectomy executed tomorrow and would like to have the idea about when I'll be able to skydive again.
I'm not concerned about the condition of my breath since the piece of lung with which my surgeons are going to feed the cats of the neighborhood is a useless part that never actually worked and the rest of my apparatus learned to compensate for this situation since I've born (I only found out almost casually few months ago) (human body can be very whimsical).
What worries me most is the wound and overall stress on my ribs that will be spread during the operation.
Here at the hospital I've heard about three months (!) before my thorax can cope the solicitation of our beloved rigs.
Of course I'll talk about that deeply with my doctors but I would like to share infos with anyone lived a similar experience.
Thank you.

Gioele

While being discharged, I was told to avoid push-ups, pull-ups or lifting weights for at least 3 months.

So, I waited until I could do 20 pushups and 6 pullups in succession with no pain.

Took 6 months.

I'm not a doctor and would encourage you to find one that skydives for better information.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Good luck to you.
Keep the pillow they give you close by for when you cough or get the hiccups.
Let us know when you're done and how you're doing, OK?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

For what its worth, when I broke the radius bone at the wrist, 6 weeks was how long it took to initially heal the break, but I couldn't put any stress on it, like floating outside the door on exit, or pull-ups or push-ups right there and then. It took the full 6 months like Bigun says, before I could do anything without pain.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ribs heal slowly.
I suffered bruised ribs and sternum during a plane crash. Pain in my ribs made it difficult to sleep for six months after the accident. Meanwhile I rehabilitated with push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups and stretches.
I have done 400 jumps since the accident.
Now 6 years after the accident, I am working on rehabilitating my knee injuries.

Hi,
6 months and 10 days passed until finally I jumped again, yesterday!
It's been like coming home.
I had no problem at all, complete motility in free fall, no pain during deployment (furthermore I jumped twice but opened three times since I had a reserve ride during the second jump! welcome back!)
Healing meant eating humble pie, I'm stronger now.
Thanks Bigun for your pillow hint, helpful one.
I still do my breathing exercises to strengthen my diaphragm, I've some slight aches doing sit ups or pull ups but that's trivial and they are useful as weather forecast.
Also I could save while not jumping so I just ordered my own rig!
Thanks for your answers.

Gioele