AviationTD

Heads up to AFF-I's in New Jersey or Nearby

Skydive Cross Keys had 2 deaf skydivers help them set the '97 and '99 100+ way state records. I was one of them. They seem to have forgotten.

Deaf people CAN be trained. It doesn't take a damn rocket scientist to figure out an effective way to do it.

:|

I accept PMs as well.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Should sue the dz for discrimination. Atleast mention it to DZO, and I'll bet the DZO will not going to say no.

You don't need radio for student to have successful skydive.

Often times radios fail, battery issue, channel gets switched, or radio just sucks ass. We all teach student for that reason, I tell my student that radio only works half the time so you need to listen and perform well for the EPs and canopy traffic part of FJC.

My very first AFF level 1 student didn't have radio, like a dumbass I didn't turn it on before the jump. We got down to the ground and I was talking on the radio by myself like a dumbass for 4 mins, and asked my student why she didn't follow any direction, and she said she couldn't here anything, and yet she was able to steer to clear area and landed into the wind.

What is really going on is that no affi at that dz wants to spend extra time. In fact all affi hates teaching first jump course, time consuming, not enough pay. It is much easier to throw drogue two or three time than talking about first skydive for 4 hours.

I know for sure that there is a deaf skydiver that participate in a big way events. Maybe he can chime in. (no pun intended)
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

....In fact all affi hates teaching first jump course, time consuming, not enough pay....

Perhaps the dumbest comment I've ever seen on this forum. Sounds like it's time for YOU to quit skydiving for money.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

You are fucking lying to yourself if you love teaching fjc over chucking drogues.

and I did quit jumping for money.

I guess you have to keep believing in your own lies in order to jump 15000+

If you hadn't attack me personally I would've gave you respect for 15000+ jumps but now I think that you have nothing to offer besides to jump out of airplane. Aren't you sick of doing same shit over and over again for last 25 years???

Fuck dude, go help this deaf guy out, instead of bitching about the truth.

I remember my friend's quote. "I LOVE skydiving", he said that to every passenger. He has over 20000. I asked him one day, "How can you make your lies so convincing?"

and he goes, "I love skydiving, I truly love the moment I jump out of airplane to the moment my feet touches the ground, but I hate EVERYTHING in between."

and yeah, he stopped jumping for money as well.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

A deaf friend of mine, who lives near Cross Keys, NJ, want to become a skydiver. He asked Skydive Cross Keys to train him. They seem evasive Mad just like the other DZs in Virginia

Is it possible that all these DZs have another problem with your friend other than he's deaf? Perhaps they don't think he has the ability to safely skydive for some other reason(s)?

- Dan G

Is it possible that all these DZs have another problem with your friend other than he's deaf? Perhaps they don't think he has the ability to safely skydive for some other reason(s)?

I wouldn't be asking here if all these DZs have another problem with my friend other than being deaf. Look at the other guy in other thread (listed in OP). He turned out to be a solid skydiver.

Cross Keys told this person in question that they can't train him because of the radio communication. :S Lame excuse! Physically, he is normal just like everyone else.

Evidenced by the other thread, this isn't the first time. In fact, many prospective deaf student gave up because they don't want to deal with those hassles. Only few with sheer determination was able to get through this barrier and went on to become solid skydivers just like this fellow in the other thread.

One of the best tandem students I had is deaf. Lame excuse.

I literally just got my AFF rating but I would train your buddy if he could provide the sign language interpreter and felt like coming to Missouri.

I freaking hate radios for students anyway.

There are other ways (non audio) to communicate ground to air as well.

Sound like an excuse.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

What is really going on is that no affi at that dz wants to spend extra time. In fact all affi hates teaching first jump course, time consuming, not enough pay.

Not all AFFI's are like you. There are some out there who truly enjoy teaching.

It really sucks that there aren't more.

If all you want is the skydive and the money, please, go throw drogues all day long.

I trained without a radio. So did every other deaf skydiver in the US that got their license. We've got some that have over 3000 jumps. What is the big deal?

So the ground class probably takes a bit longer and the student is probably better off getting one on one instruction, including studying an overhead photo of the DZ and surrounding areas, and knowing what to look for, etc.

If Skydive Cross Keys makes these kinds of excuses, the student is better off going somewhere else. Screw em.

Skydive Orange and Skydive Virginia in VA, and Triangle Skydiving in NC have trained deaf skydivers successfully. They were willing to take the extra time and dedication to teaching, to make it happen.

I have assisted DZs before in training deaf students. All passed with flying colors.

Where there is a will, there is a way!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If Skydive Cross Keys makes these kinds of excuses, the student is better off going somewhere else.

Agreed, which is also why I don't think it's worth it to invoke the possibility of a discrimination claim to "persuade" a DZ to cooperate. Last thing I'd want a friend or relative to do would be to get trained in skydiving by people who feel they're being forced to do so against their will.

Andy9o8

If Skydive Cross Keys makes these kinds of excuses, the student is better off going somewhere else.

Agreed, which is also why I don't think it's worth it to invoke the possibility of a discrimination claim to "persuade" a DZ to cooperate. Last thing I'd want a friend or relative to do would be to get trained in skydiving by people who feel they're being forced to do so against their will.

Yeah, I agree. Discrimination lawsuits don't really work in skydiving for disabilities. The businesses are too small to fall within the law's framework.

Hello, I'm that friend he was talking about. Sorry took so long to reply (3 day grace period) :(

as for the question of if I had anything "else" wrong with me. There was nothing to indicate that. I walked up to front desk, told them I'm deaf and wanted to do T2 jump. They gave me a waiver form and while I was filling it out, not even to the point of "do you have any medical issues", Instructor came out and told me I can't do that jump due to radio. He also said can't do T2 jump because he's behind me and can't give me instructions. As if a simple tap on the left/right shoulder to say pull left/right won't do either. I explained about paddles and he just referred me to other DZ hours away from CZ.

Overall I get the impression he wasn't comfortable training a Deaf person at all or any person who prefers paddles/flags and I wasn't going to push it beyond having someone else teach him how to handle Deaf divers, but he was saying can't even do paddles/flags at that place.

A lot of people tend to take the slow, tedious communication as a sign of lower intellect, and it is usually not the case. I've gotten 2 black belts, scuba certification and red cross water safety instructor certification all without the need for interpretor and minimal writing needed.

Most of the time I just employ the use of "monkey see, monkey do". With a lot of pre-research such as reading these forums, youtube videos and for this sport I'm finding the online riggers handbook very helpful.

so to the point, yes, he did reject me without questioning, without knowing anything about me beyond the fact that I'm Deaf.

But I wouldn't want an instructor like that anyway. This sport is about second chances, that's why we got reserve chutes.

I am an AFF-I, based out of Chambersburg Skydiving Center, in Chambersburg, PA. I/we have trained deaf skydivers at CSC in the past. John Woo, a deaf skydiver himself, and many of his deaf friends, including students - are (fairly) "regulars" at CSC.

Subject to the same capabilities evaluation I would give any and every AFF student/candidate (i.e. just the fact that you are deaf would most certainly not preclude you, in of itself - or even intimidate me in the least personally, for that matter) ...I would be more than happy to both AFF ground school you, and take you there.

I have also already confirmed this as well... just so as to not waste your time - with the DZO's.

If you have someone who can communicate for you over the phone - please simply call the dropzone manifest at 866-JUMP-USA (586-7872), and mention this post and schedule. Alternately - If you would like to reach me personally by e-mail, and I will be happy to facilitate everything for you - my personal email address is: wgspurrell-at-verizon-dot-net.

I will look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully soon -welcoming you to the skies, and our FAMILY!

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Rainsforth, I really want you to train at a DZ that welcomes you and is happy to make sure you are taken care of. I wish you the best of luck, even if it means a longer drive.

The one I helped train at The Farm in west Georgia had a 5 hour drive from his home near Savannah.

The Cross Keys instructor was a dick, maybe an ignorant dick that has never seen a deaf skydiver, I dunno. Or he just didn't want the hassle. Their loss. Fuck em.

If you have any questions, PM me. Keep me posted on your progress. :)