gilupl

Cervical problem?

Hi everyone, I would like jump tandem or solo, can I do it any of that after incident I had 2 years ego, here is my medical raport:

There is slight straightening of the spine.
There is minimally reduced signal in the cervical discs without loss of disc height.
There is minor osteophytic encroachment on the right exit foramen at C3-4. The left side is clear.
The exit foramina are patent at C4-5 and C5-6.
There is a large left posterolateral disc protrusion at the C6-7 level which encroaches significantly on the left exit foramen and impinges on the left exiting nerve root. There is slight impression on the anterior aspect of the spinal cord.
The cervical spinal cord is otherwise unremarkable.

After rehabilitation I fill good, sorry my english is not the best, I will be grateful for the answer, thanks.

gilupl

Hi everyone, I would like jump tandem or solo, can I do it any of that after incident I had 2 years ego, here is my medical raport:

There is slight straightening of the spine.
There is minimally reduced signal in the cervical discs without loss of disc height.
There is minor osteophytic encroachment on the right exit foramen at C3-4. The left side is clear.
The exit foramina are patent at C4-5 and C5-6.
There is a large left posterolateral disc protrusion at the C6-7 level which encroaches significantly on the left exit foramen and impinges on the left exiting nerve root. There is slight impression on the anterior aspect of the spinal cord.
The cervical spinal cord is otherwise unremarkable.

After rehabilitation I fill good, sorry my english is not the best, I will be grateful for the answer, thanks.

I would discuss this with your doctor prior to considering a jump. I don't know exactly how high of a risk you would be taking by skydiving, but the injuries you described sound scary. Your doctor would be the best person to assess your injuries and determine whether skydiving would be a safe activity for you. If an impact to your back could cause significant injury or paralysis, skydiving is probably not for you.

I was thinking here is some neurosurgeon skydiver who can answer my question. When I saw my doctor last time I didn't think that time about skydiving but he said I can still do weightlifting. Also he checked my nervous system and I don't have any problem with that, no pain at all. I don't know can I do even tandem? Thanks guys.

Also I don't ask about straight answer yes or no, I'm the only one who is taking responsibility for my health, I'm just asking how big is risk, how hard openings of parachute are for student and tandem, what happen when something goes wrong, how hard openings of "safe life" parachute are? Is there anyone here who is jumping with cervical problems and do you fill any pain when you open parachute or when you dive (200km/h)?

Ok thanks, I will ask doctor. I was thinking the hard landings are dangerous only for lumbar spine? I have no problem with that part of spine. So I'm asking how hard "openings" of parachute are for the neck? Hard landing is like jump from what height?

gilupl

Ok thanks, I will ask doctor. I was thinking the hard landings are dangerous only for lumbar spine? I have no problem with that part of spine. So I'm asking how hard "openings" of parachute are for the neck? Hard landing is like jump from what height?

Hard openings and hard landings are random events that can happen at any time, and sometimes due to things over which you have no control. Severity of such events ranges from minor to death. If you can't handle the consequences of such things, then don't jump. If your can, go for it. It's your decision. Don't blame anyone else if it happens.

Ok thanks, I won't jump so. I was thinking tandem is not that dangerous because I can see sometimes 80 years old people are jumping and theirs spine and bones must be very weak. It is sad that you can't make your dream true because of the health.

Based on what little I know about this, I'd say it sounds like you're at a significantly greater risk of hurting yourself permanently if the opening is anything other than perfect. Not worth it.

On the other hand, there is no reason you couldn't try a wind tunnel. I don't know where you are, but there are tunnels in a number of places in the US and Europe.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)