heb5

Dislocated shoulder - tandem?

I was supposed to be doing my first every skydive, a tandem skydive, but three weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder for the first time skiing. It was fairly pain-free, went back in easily and my range of movement is improving everyday.

However I really don't want to dislocate my shoulder again as there are other sports I want to do, and so at the very least I will do all my physio, wait 6 months and consult my doctor before doing a tandem dive.

However I'm also wondering if there's anything that can be done to reduce the risk? I've seen some posts here that suggest you can hold on to the straps and keep your elbows in rather than having your arms out. Is this good advice? Are most skydiving places (UK) likely to allow this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Heather

Not a doctor.

But for a tandem passenger, this shouldn't be a problem. The passenger really doesn't do anything with their arms anyway, except hold on to their shoulder straps for exit, and spread your arms out in freefall. There isn't much force or strength involved in either of those.

Steering the canopy is often allowed by the passenger, and requires some dexterity and strength, but that's strictly optional.

Just explain the situation to your Tandem Instructor.
They'll work around it.
Won't be the first time, they've had to accommodate some form of disability.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Boogers

spread your arms out in freefall

That could lead to another dislocation, so don't do that.

Just tell the TM. Most often with a recent dislocation or easily dislocating shoulder you'll get told to hang onto the harness for the exit like everyone else, but you'll be told to keep doing that for the entire freefall.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you're anywhere near a windtunnel, you could try a session there to check that your shoulder is happy in the freefall position. Ask to talk to an instructor before you book and explain what you want to do, then explain again on the day to the instructor who briefs you.

Windtunnels at:
Bedford https://www.bodyflight.co.uk/fly
Basingstoke, Milton Keynes, Manchester http://www.airkix.com/
Anne

adagen

If you're anywhere near a windtunnel, you could try a session there to check that your shoulder is happy in the freefall position. chester http://www.airkix.com/

if most tunnels are like ifly here in orlando they won't let you get near it if you tell you you've had a previous shoulder dislocations, at least that's what i've been told... and they have the signs to back it up

Bodyflight advises caution and asks the flier to discuss the injury with staff. Airkix asks for a doctor's certificate. Copies of the waiver details are online for both. Neither states a total bar on shoulder injuries.

It would be worth Heather giving them a call and asking to speak to an instructor for advice. If she's near any of the tunnels, going to have a look around and a chat might be more productive since it's easier for an instructor to see how fit she is.

Heather, if you decide to do this, don't try Bodyflight on the weekend of 4th April as that's the World Challenge weekend and instructors won't have time to chat since they'll be in the throes of managing large numbers of competitors and there's no public flying. If you avoid that weekend you will find them a very friendly and helpful bunch.
Anne

6 months is a long time and based on your dislocation sounds like you will be fine. One thing you don't mention is your age. If you are young you are almost certain to have it happen again from what I understand. The fact that it went in easy puts is far away from the injury I am recovering from(I just did some PT a few minutes ago)

I dislocated my shoulder violently(skiing also but on water. backward barefooting). It was out for longer than I would have liked and was put back in only after sending me for a trip on Etomidate, Ketamine,Propofol, and Fentanyl. Third run they got it in. I was in unimaginable pain and two nursed kept pumping me full of this shit to shut me up. I did a lot of damage to it and it is still a mess(last August) but I would not see an issue whatsoever with a tandem. Mine is no more likely to come out now that it was before the crash.

If your very young(early 20's) the shoulder joint is a lot more loose but I still do not see an issue in six months. If your doctor recommends surgery at some point I would just get it done however.

God mine was painful though. Many Orthopedic surgeries and I have never had pre-operative pain like that. From shattered ankle joint to a badly displaced tib platue with ligament tears and patella ripped off the pain before surgery was mild in comparison(surgery was days later). Take care of that shoulder!! Get it stronger than ever
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'm in my late 20s.

Sorry to hear about your injury Craddock, that sounds awful. Glad to hear you manage to keep doing stuff despite the surgeries! Thanks so much for your post.

I dis-located my shoulder in 2008. I did a couple rounds of physio-therapy, but it was still a bit weak when I went to Eloy, six months later. Eloy's staff never mentioned risk sin flying after a dis-location.

I got a bigger reaction when I flew in Vancouver's tunnel a couple of years later. I knew most of the Vancouver staff since I had skydived with them for several years before my injury. Staff at the Vancouver tunnel asked me some pointed questions, but gave up after I demonstrated 30 push-ups. They also knew that I had done 300 tandems since my crash.

phreeloader

***If you're anywhere near a windtunnel, you could try a session there to check that your shoulder is happy in the freefall position. chester http://www.airkix.com/

if most tunnels are like ifly here in orlando they won't let you get near it if you tell you you've had a previous shoulder dislocations, at least that's what i've been told... and they have the signs to back it up

My experience at iFLY Orlando is that they Recommend not flying with shoulder or back problems. My 60+ year old brother in law had long term back issues and a past shoulder dislocation but did a lot of yoga. Discussed his issues with a coach and was allowed to fly. He did extremely well his 1st time in the tunnel for a newbie. He loved the experience with no bad side effects.

I popped my shoulder back in september, a really bad one with lots of pain, in a sling for 3 months, tons of physical therapy, etc...I bought a brace on amazon, did a tandem 6 weeks ago, and got current the next weekend. I did re-injure my shoulder at the dropzone, tho...I stumbled coming out of the john and fell on hands and knees on the concrete walk... what a dumbass. [:/]

Anyway, yes you can jump with a dislocated shoulder, and a good tight brace helps alot.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"