akarunway

Learning to sew.

I was thinking about learning to be a rigger. Was given an old machine. Old Monkey Ward model UHT-J1260. SN 1740 Gonna do a little research. Worth my time?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Always worth your time to learn a new skill. Store branded sewing machines were made by an assortment of companies. It's pretty hard to say if that one is particularly good or not. Start sewing. You will pick up machine knowledge along the way.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

akarunway

Was given an old machine. Old Monkey Ward model UHT-J1260. Worth my time?

If you can make it sew, it is definitely worth your time. Some of the older "home" model machines are quite rugged. I just did a search for that model number and found lots of stuff.

The local public school system recreation department has "adult enrichment" courses. I took one called Sew Easy and relearned the basics of sewing and the machine. From there I took the next logical step, using my wife's Kenmore, I rebuilt a canopy to jump. ;) I didn't have the faith to actually land the canopy but a post-jump inspection showed that the canopy was totally landable.

Intentional Cutaway

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Singer Heavy-Duty Sewing machine. It does wonders for me because I dont know how to sew by hand nor machine. This machine meets you half-way...Settings VS Skill. With older machines...I dont know but what I do know with this machine; You can adjust... thread tension (thick vs thin fabric), stitch width, stitch length, stitch style, exchange needle sizing (thread Ply and needle head shape), and walking foot (forward and back) ETC...

AKA Its easy to set-up and Begin
thin nylon to thick cordura, its a good tool build skills and technique for rigging.

Enjoy the Journey
Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.

Singer Heavy-Duty Sewing machine.

That is a nearly meaningless phrase. It's not really helpful as there are literally many hundreds of models of Singer sewing machine. All but the newest plastic consumer models are considered "heavy duty" by someone.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Singer Heavy-Duty Sewing machine.

That is a nearly meaningless phrase. It's not really helpful as there are literally many hundreds of models of Singer sewing machine. All but the newest plastic consumer models are considered "heavy duty" by someone.

Exeuse me... It was helpful advice but thank you for indentifying yourself ;)

This plastic sewing machine has been helpful and it doesnt cost much.
http://www.amazon.ca/SINGER-4411-Extra-High-11-Stitch-Stainless/dp/B003VWXZKG
Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.