AlanS

Ballon jump and digital altimeter... any issues?

councilman24

I now admit ignorance of electronic altimeters. I don't own any and don't much want to. I have used audible for a long time.

I would have never dreamed that the thing would auto zero after take off if you didn't tell it not to.:S If I ever want a digital altimeter I guess I'll be looking for one that works like my analogs, set at the beginning of the day. Check each jump that pressure hasn't changed, and tell me the altitude when ever I look at it. Do any do this?

If an altimeter can't do its basic job its just a piece of junk. Why would you waste money on one?.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

councilman24

I now admit ignorance of electronic altimeters. I don't own any and don't much want to. I have used audible for a long time.

I would have never dreamed that the thing would auto zero after take off if you didn't tell it not to.:S If I ever want a digital altimeter I guess I'll be looking for one that works like my analogs, set at the beginning of the day. Check each jump that pressure hasn't changed, and tell me the altitude when ever I look at it. Do any do this?

Well that is how they work most of the times.
This has happened once in 600 jumps (+-).

And if I had done the correct thing when I noticed it it would not have been an issue.
Just shut it off and jump without.
Instead I figured it would not bee to hard to keep track of 300 ft.
But every time I looked at the altimeter I had to think if it was plus 300 ft or minus 300 ft. And every time I came up with a new number that should be correct I second guessed it and looked down to see if it could be correct and then I looked at the altimeter again and the cycle is complete.

Jumping without a altimeter would probably have been easier for me.

councilman24

And on a typical day at the DZ (where the LZ is in the same location) this "set-it and forget-it" approach works well for 99% of the people 99% of the time. But like anything new(er than Terry ;) ) you must know more about them than just that, or the 1% of the time will catch you. (and I'm as potentially guilty as the next well-informed guy... glad the OP started this discussion...)

Unfortunately, each electronic altimeter type device will have its own auto-zero behavior and thresholds.

Since its what most of you have on your rig... anyone know (without looking) how the Cypres-2 knows if its to be in 'on-a-jump' mode??

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." -Scotty-

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

My guess is it could possibly be an issue. There is a chance that the balloon is not ascending fast enough for the alti to enter jump mode, thus it could continually re zero to current altitude. I also think this may be an issue with my our AAD.
I would be interested in someone with more knowage to educate me otherwise.
The sky is not the limit, the ground is!

Danh124

My guess is it could possibly be an issue. There is a chance that the balloon is not ascending fast enough for the alti to enter jump mode, thus it could continually re zero to current altitude. I also think this may be an issue with my our AAD.
I would be interested in someone with more knowage to educate me otherwise.

Balloons usually ascend much faster than small planes, about 10 minutes to +1500m or so...

No quite. Look at mine. It's an Altimaster II special edition ( transparent red) from Steve Snyders Enterprise circa 1976.

I have lost the lens and dial in freefall. A clockmaker gave me a clock dial with Roman digits and I adjusted it to my altimeter.;)

Alti 2 has calibrated it and made correction once. Works fine for the last 40 years. They gave me their trick to check the lens. If well screwed, tapping with nail gives a low pitched sound, otherwise this is a high pitch.

Roman digits : Freeflyers love it !

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Blis

Balloons usually ascend much faster than small planes, about 10 minutes to +1500m or so...

Again, that depends on what is going on before the jump... I've spent 30min all under 1000' on a scenic flight. If the pilot is burning to get you up for a jump (as mine did), no problem. But a scenic flight with a jump a the end could be a real problem.

Just sayin',

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

erdnarob

No quite. Look at mine. It's an Altimaster II special edition ( transparent red) from Steve Snyders Enterprise circa 1976.

I have lost the lens and dial in freefall. A clockmaker gave me a clock dial with Roman digits and I adjusted it to my altimeter.;)

Alti 2 has calibrated it and made correction once. Works fine for the last 40 years. They gave me their trick to check the lens. If well screwed, tapping with nail gives a low pitched sound, otherwise this is a high pitch.

Roman digits : Freeflyers love it !

That's the most bitchin altimeter I think I've ever seen I want one!

Looking at it though isn't 4 supposed to be IV not IIII?