BendyB

Jumping with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there jumps with this condition or knows anyone who does?

I have been diagnosed with IBS and have taken steps to relief the symptoms such as changing diet etc but still have bad days. I haven't jumped in about 7 or 8 years so it means right back to basics and starting AFF. I didn't have this problem back then but I certainly remember how nervous I was and this is now my 'new' worry. Add serious nerves into the equation and I'm not sure how I'd be!!

I really don't want this to stop me from getting back to jumping as stopping jumping in the first place was out of my control, other aspects of my life HAD to take priority so jumping unfortunately had to stop just after I completed my AFF.

I don't take any medication for it as both medicines didn't seem to make much difference.

Any input/advice would be great, thanks.

Depends...not joking, buy some Depends. if anybody gives you any shit about it (sorry, bad pun), you can just tell them that every fighter pilot in the world starts gearing up by pulling on a pair of Depends...and then tell them to kiss your messy ass, cuz it ain't any of their business. >:(

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Lazarus_762

Depends...not joking, buy some Depends. if anybody gives you any shit about it (sorry, bad pun), you can just tell them that every fighter pilot in the world starts gearing up by pulling on a pair of Depends...and then tell them to kiss your messy ass, cuz it ain't any of their business. >:(

Im not ever sitting next to you in the plane again Walt!:P

I have chrones disease. Basically I don't eat breakfast before heading to the dz. Also arrive early so u have time for the restroom before jumping. Also, getting there early just to watch a few loads jump before going also helped with the nerves.

ridebmxbikes

Im not ever sitting next to you in the plane again Walt!:P

can I sit in your lap on the ride to 14K this weekend?;)

I didn't say I use them, I was just making a suggestion...also not denying it, am I? LOL!

no, I don't....

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Be careful about advising junior jumpers to skip breakfast.
Most of the tandem students who vomited on me skipped breakfast. Fear burned through all their blood sugar reserves, then they felt weak and nauseous under canopy. They tossed the meagre remains of their stomach contents all over their jumpsuits. The worst of them lost consciousness under canopy.
Instead, we advise students to nibble light snacks (fruits and vegetables) and stay hydrated while preparing to jump.

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few weeks ago. I always wondered why I had to crap at least 4 to 5 times every time I went skydiving. Now I know that because of colitis stress (I am still a novelty jumper with 32 jumps) has a big impact on my bowl movements. Just make sure you get to the dropzone early and take a few shits before you go up. As for myself I havent had any problems yet on the ride to altitude or on the way down.

I as well have Ulcerative Colitis and was diagnosed a few years back when i was 22. I've been jumping with UC actively for the last 6 months and thankfully the Humira and other medicine i've been taking to keep that in remission has worked and i haven't had any significant issue. Not too sure when your IBS has issues, but see if there's a certain food you can avoid eating, or see if there's a particular time where it's not as active and go skydiving during those days! When in doubt, keep a bathroom close by!