joelgibson

Went blind in my left eye

I'm still on student status, and I went blind in my left eye starting last friday and reaching full OS blindness tuesday. The docs say I should get vision back in 4-6 months. I'm close to A license requirements, but I'm thinking of only doing fun jumps until when/if I get left eye vision back. Anyone else jump with monovision, and have any hints or tips on how to deal with the loss of peripheral and depth perception?
SCR 15113
USPA Coach-C
Hellfish 1004

joelgibson

I'm still on student status, and I went blind in my left eye starting last friday and reaching full OS blindness tuesday. The docs say I should get vision back in 4-6 months. I'm close to A license requirements, but I'm thinking of only doing fun jumps until when/if I get left eye vision back. Anyone else jump with monovision, and have any hints or tips on how to deal with the loss of peripheral and depth perception?

I just stumbled upon this post now....

How's your vision coming along? Do you know the cause of just the left eye's vision loss?

I have optic neuritis in my left eye and the vision comes and goes sporadically and usually unexpectedly, sometimes leaving me in some sucky situations if I happen to be driving or if I'm somewhere and I need to get home.

Hope to hear from you. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

There's no cause located as yet. I think I'm up to about 5% vision in the left eye. I crashed my truck wednesday thanks to the vision loss. Fender bender really, nobody was hurt. I really hope it's not going to be a lifetime thing, I just want to get vision back and have it stay even if it only comes back at 20/40 or 20/60
SCR 15113
USPA Coach-C
Hellfish 1004

joelgibson

There's no cause located as yet. I think I'm up to about 5% vision in the left eye. I crashed my truck wednesday thanks to the vision loss. Fender bender really, nobody was hurt. I really hope it's not going to be a lifetime thing, I just want to get vision back and have it stay even if it only comes back at 20/40 or 20/60

Well that sucks! The ON comes and goes but those awful steroids don't always work so I no longer will take them. Also, I pretty much have chalked up I'll never skydive again between the ON and the horrible vertigo I get.

Why are you driving with such vision loss? How is that safely possible?

Please remember to take the risk to others into account when you decide if you're ever going to jump again if your vision doesn't come all the way back. Especially when it comes to the peripheral vision. Some may think they can see straight ahead and that's good enough. It's not. JMHO.

I wish you a speedy return to full vision!! :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

My circumstance is a little different, as I have had monovision since I was a baby. I have poor vision in my good eye, and see light/dark/movement/some color in my bad eye, but don't have any functional vision in my bad eye. I wear glasses that have a fairly strong prescription and I jump with prescription goggles to give my peripheral vision some correction when I jump - this made a WORLD of a difference for me in skydiving.

The other important thing I have learned through my experience is to tell coaches/instructors that you have a vision problem so they can better help you. For example, I took a canopy course to complete by B license (and my landings were pretty pitiful), and neglected to tell the instructor that I only see out of one eye. Towards the end of the canopy course, he began to get frustrated because he couldn't seem to figure out why my problems were inconsistent, until I told him I had a vision problem. He was better able to help me afterwards when he knew what the "real" issue was.

But most of all, just remember you can do it. I mean, come on - you jump out of airplanes! :)