Lazarus_762

Lost a chunk of my finger...ouch!

I thought I was being SO careful, right up to the point where the saw chopped off the end of my left index finger...took my experience with pain to a whole new level!
B|[:/]:o
I don't anticipate any real problems jumping in a couple weeks, but then, I've never lost body parts before...packing is gonna be a bitch, but can anyone think of any problems I might have jumping? I'm right handed, plenty of finger left to hold my altimeter in place, still have 3 good ones and a thumb for the toggles...I think it'll be ok, what do you think?

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Wait until the thought of banging it (on the airplane, on another jumper, on yourself) doesn't make your stomach go sick. Jumping with significant pain isn't necessarily smart or manly.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

when you are not in fear of the slightest little bump because it brings you to your knees and you are confident with your new hand in your daily life.

when the nerve endings stop firing.

when the circulation comes back you don't want to freeze that thing after cutting it off.

when you can jam your hand into a bowl of rice full force with out hesitation.

when you don't make decisions base on the pain in your hand. because you don't want to be making decisions based on your hand that affect you and the people around you in the air.

wetrock

when you are not in fear of the slightest little bump because it brings you to your knees and you are confident with your new hand in your daily life.

when the nerve endings stop firing.

when the circulation comes back you don't want to freeze that thing after cutting it off.

when you can jam your hand into a bowl of rice full force with out hesitation.

when you don't make decisions base on the pain in your hand. because you don't want to be making decisions based on your hand that affect you and the people around you in the air.

all good advice, voice of experience? and from Wendy also...I'm thinking maybe a small plastic splint taped in place might be a good thing, to protect those nerve endings. Not gonna let this stop me from jumping, but I'm too old to pretend it doesn't hurt just so I can be a macho tough guy. I have no problem admitting I'm a wuss, so I will take all necessary precautions...thanks again.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Cold intollerance is a common result - consider good gloves adapted to fit. Bio-oil is often recomended for scars and supposedly does wonders in assisting in their development.

Grip strength is usually reduced - ensure you've sufficient to deploy your reserve - consider if a pillow reserve handle is no longer an option for you (if you ever did) or if you should limit yourself to a metal D-ring reserve handle.

Hope your recovery is progressing nicely by this stage.

MichaelAnthony

If you dont mind me asking, how did you chop off the tip? :o

tablesaw, it really was a freak accident. I was being careful, paying attention, totally sober, etc...but ther was a hollow spot in the wood, it zipped thru the saw, and my finger hit the side of the blade. the rotation threw it in front of the blade, it bounced right into the teeth, and *chomp*!

ps, that shit HURT! still does, every day...boo-f***ing-hoo.

Lazarus_762

***If you dont mind me asking, how did you chop off the tip? :o

tablesaw, it really was a freak accident. I was being careful, paying attention, totally sober, etc...but ther was a hollow spot in the wood, it zipped thru the saw, and my finger hit the side of the blade. the rotation threw it in front of the blade, it bounced right into the teeth, and *chomp*!

ps, that shit HURT! still does, every day...boo-f***ing-hoo.

I bought one of these. I like how well engineered they are and my wife likes the fact that the blade stops and retracts 10x faster than an airbag deployment on human contact. Love the saw so far. Just a future idea.

http://www.sawstop.com/table-saws/by-model/contractor-saw#build-price/contractor-saw_SFA30_MB-CNS-000_CNS-CIWA_TSDC-8R2_TSI-DLD
Muff #5048