funisintheair

tandemskydive after ear-operation

At first... my English is not very good (I am from Holland). But i try to write a post whitch can be understand :)
My question is: i picked up the plan to do a tandemskydive (my first jump ever, yeah) from 4 km high.
The problem is that i had many earoperations, because i had inflammation of the ear. They placed eardrains (i can't explain what that is exactly, for pictures see this link. https://www.knocare.nl/item.html&objID=3161). So far, so good... but the little hole in my tympanic membrane didn't close on a nature way, so I had a operation to close it.
After that operation the doctor told me that it was not a good idea to dive in deep water. Because my tympanic membrane is more frail (less elastic). They didn't say anything about skydiving. But especially during freefall i guess there is much pressure on the tympanic membrane???
I know a can ask a doctor, but i also wanna know if there are people with the same problems, who skydive.

In case a skydive is possible: It was oke to fly in a airplane. When i travel by airplane i use ear-planes. When I don't use it I have much pain in my ears. Because i am not able to ... (don't know the word) by swallowing or gaping.
Is it a idea to use the ear-planes? Or shouldn't that work?

I realy hope for a positive answer!!

Hi,

Your English is perfectly understandable. I wasn't able to follow that link. Sounds like you had a Myringotomy. It's unclear from what you've written. You speak of pressure changes, but then mention earplugs. Earplugs help w/loud noises, not pressure changes. If you're sensitive to the slight pressure changes of a pressurized aircraft. Free fall pressure changes will surely cause you loads of pain. If your Ears can't equalize pressure fast enough. You'll rupture the Eardrum. Intense pain, vertigo, & nausea will be the results...

Sorry, but you should definitely talk to your Doctor before jumping.

Best of Luck.

Hi,

Many thanks for your (fast) answer and for saying my English is perfectly understandable. I tried to translate 'Myringotomy'. I am not sure, but I think that is exactly what I mean.
I notice the part of 'earplanes' isn't clear. So i will explain. I don't mean earplugs that helps to muffle loud noises. The plugs I mean are useful during take off and landing of the airplane. The plugs (named earplanes) equalize the pressure on your ears. They are great. I have clearly less pain when I use them (I just use them during landing, take off is no problem). The first time I flew I didn't use the plugs (didn't know about them) and that was very painfull!! I still remember.
So earplugs can help me to equalize the pressure on my ears, I am not able to do that by myself. But I doubt if the plugs can manage the changing pressures during a freefall. Because it goes so fast. I am afraid you are true: when i have troubles to manage the pressure changes in a aircraft, a freefall can give troubles. Not the answer i hoped for of course, but it is good to know this information before i make the decision to jump.

Repturing the eardrum, intense pain, vertigo en nausea sounds bad!! When I have a bigger change to get that problems, i have to be wise. It's not a good idea to take risks like that because of the lewdness to adrenaline. But it's too early for a decision. I follow your advice: I will plan a consult with my doctor.

I'd never heard of those Earplanes, before. Jet airliners are pressurized to around 6,000 feet. We jump from 13,500 feet, & fall a lot faster than a 747... Those Earplanes couldn't possibly cope w/that. Even if they could. If one leaked just a little. You'd be in agony. Glad you're going to talk to your Ear/Nose/Throat Doctor about this.

My Ears don't equalize well. I struggled quite a bit w/that during my student jumps. My Ears eventually got better at equalizing. I still need decongestants during allergy season, though.

Good Luck w/this. I hope you eventually get to jump.

Ditto your English, your fine...

No No, and NO!

If you have to ask then it's no, I'm very sorry to say this but the inner ear takes considerable time to heal....

In time and maintain a close relationship with your ear doctor / surgeon, you can in fact be tested for this performance. Mass Eye and Ear has, as a number of other facilities in the USA, equipment that can test and manipulate the ambient air in case your going in an aircraft or other places where you can suffer air pressure changes.

If you do a search here you can also see other similar posts where the advice given has been to take an aircraft ride where you can control the altitude, if you are determined to do this....:S

But you need to be aware that the inner ear has parts that don't register pain as well as parts that can make you unconscious, I don't know what type of ear work you had done...and this is the issue as I see it! You can risk undoing what has already been done!

C

Good luck!

If your determined the membrane can be shunted but find your surgeon and ask! More than a few flights have diverted at considerable cost due to the occasional passenger that has ignored their doctors advice I don't understand how any MD would say that flying is safe in your condition.

Again ...NO

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

@ PilFy... that's a clear explanation from the differences between landing with an airplane and doing a freefall out of the plane.
Sounds like a too hard job for my ears, but I will wait for the advice of de doctor. This topic will be continued... I promise I shouldn't take needless risks.
And good to read your ears are better in equalizing! That's fine.

And Chris D, let me check if i understood your post in the right way (reading in English is a bit more difficult then writing it).
Summarized:

The fact that I doubt about the skydive, is a sign that the answer should be 'no' probably.

It's possible to simulate the pressure changes during a skydive, so doctors can see if a jump eventually would give troubles.

There are more topics with a simular question, here the advise was given to take a trip with a airplane and try if you can manage the pressure changes.

Some parts of the inner-ear don't give painsignals. The risk is that a skydive makes the work from the operation undone.

Your advise is to talk with the doctor/surgeon, but you think the answer should be 'no'.

Did I understand that correct?

For that matter: the operation is many years ago.
But for so far i know, the scar tissue (i hope i translated it right/understandable) made my eardrum less elastic. Not only the weeks after operation, but for always... that makes equalizing difficult/impossible but i will check this with the doctor. I am pretty sure that I have scar tissue (not only from the operation but also from the inflammations) because i have mild hearing loss.
The fact that I have much pain with landing in a airplane, except i use earplugs, is not very hopeful.

Thanks for your advises both, and as said, i will post here the doctors advice.