Pinky2

AFF with a stiff foot? Scared of landings

Hi there folks!

I am new to this place and would like to briefly introduce myself. I live in Switzerland, 34 years of age and have jumped five times so far, one of them being an AFF-Level 1-jump two years ago. Since then I am totally addicted to skydiving. Whenever I look up into the sky, I see myself up there!

I have been contemplating to get into it for real and enrol on an AFF course but I really feel nervous about it for two reasons:

I have a very little disability on my right foot, its stiff, I can move it up and down only slightly but Ican run easily. Actually it's more the landing part that really makes me jumpy. As well as on the tandems and on the AFF Level 1 I couldn't land on my feet. I plain and simply forgot to flare! Went all to fast before I could react.

you can see the video on youtube: Write Ergie AFF

This is no reason to quit is it and could you guys give me some hints on flaring? I'd really appreciate it.

so bye for now and blue skies

Pinky 2

Learn how to roll really well when you land, and assume that you'll fall down most of the time.

I had an acquaintance in the 1970's with a slightly weak leg from polio; he always PLF'd his landings on his fairly large square. I asked why (because the weakness wasn't obvious), and he said that by rolling, he could guarantee that he'd get back up and skydive again.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi wmw999,

Thanks for the advice. You're right, plain and simply, talking to the pros and finding out "my" way of landing makes totally sense. Does it become "natural" one day or is it an act of concentration on each and every landing?

All the best to you

Blue skies

Pinky2

For me, it's natural to assume that I'm going to PLF unless things look good. Works for me, and I'm not at all too proud to dirty my jumpsuit and rig. They're there to protect me, not the other way around.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)