toobs

My 1st Tandem Jump with Cerebral Palsy

I have Cerebral Palsy. I can't walk or use my arms, but I use my feet as if they were like your hands. I'm in a wheelchair. I always wanted to skydive, but too busy, too much school, just life. About 6 months ago, the thought came up again, "I want to JUMP!!!!" So, I went to my doctor, he gave me the go ahead to jump out from a plane.

Started talking to Elsinore and we were good to go. I went there last month and they told me NO, too risky. Total waste of time. I was pissed and more bummed out.

I don't give up that easily. So, I started Google skydive and CP and there are ton of videos of people jumping all the time. "Why can't I..."

So, I contacted Skydive Perris because they do tandem jumps all the time with disable people.

I did my first tandem jump last week and it was awesome!!! I have never felt that calmed in my entire life. As soon as I rolled in the door, Perris had no doubt that I can jump, unlike Elsinore.

It was bad ass!!!! There was no doubt in their minds that I could jump. My instructor was the best. He jumped with many disable people before and there was no doubt that we were going to do this. They strap my arms and legs and I fell from the sky and kept looking down.

Here is my video of me skydiving. I can't wait to do it again, again, and again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2uH86ndzTU&feature=youtu.be

I never felt that calm.

More power to you. That is fantastic. If someone turns you away again say, "Okay, but could you at least give me the bowling speach?"

All my days as a kid we had in our community an older gentlemen with Cerebral Palsy. He was able to walk with a cane. He coached youth league baseball even though he had never played. He was good at it too. He was very well respected by everyone around as a coach and a person. Odds are, without his handicap he would have been just another guy. But as it was, he inspired many youth to do their best no matter what.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Cool. Did you get any startle reflex? When the door opened or exit? Do you think the adrenalin calmed you?

If you notice on the video, I was pretty excited on the ground and my CP was everywhere. Once we got in the air, I chilled out a lot. I can be very calm when I'm not excited. It's almost like a light switch.

My instructor was the best and I will ask for him again next time. The only concern that he had was the landing and my legs. He didn't want to hurt me. So, he put another harness on my legs, a pulling system, so before we landed, we pulled on the cord to pull my legs up to my chest.

He even asked me if I wanted to tie my arms or be free.

I do a lot despite my CP. Here is another clip of what I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQcvCPGYPQ

I'm so glad you found a place that could take you up for a tandem. Unfortunately, some places will say no, if for the simple reason they either haven't taken anybody with a disabling condition before or just don't understand or don't want to deal with the additional risk.

Perris has done it for years, including people who were paralyzed from mid-chest down, IIRC.

There are countries out there and even a few DZs in the US that will NOT train a deaf person to skydive. :| Yet we have several deaf skydivers with over 3000 jumps and hold multiple large formation world records.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>Total waste of time. I was pissed and more bummed out.

I'm glad you had a good experience. I would, however, be careful about maligning an organization because they expressed more concern for you than you might have liked.

raff
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

That's awesome to hear. I have a buddy (JR Jones, hunt him down on facebook) that has over 200 jumps and has CP. He stopped jumping due to muscle issues I think but he loved it too. He only did tandems and from what I understand he has a restricted A license as well.

http://www.linestretch.net/published/slides/JR-200%20001.html

http://www.linestretch.net/published/slides/no-sharpAll-Above%20060.html

http://www.linestretch.net/published/slides/JR-200%20008.html
my pics & stuff!

Thank you VERY much for sharing this. It is truly an inspiration to me especially. I have a young daughter who has CP. She sees the videos of my jumps, and she wants to. This gives me hope that one day, perhaps when I have my tandem rating, that I will be able to give her this opportunity.