WatchYourStep

T12, L1, L2....

I am a tandem instructor and have a quick question....

Have a gentleman who is wheelchair bound with T12, L1, L2 and titanium steel rods in his back. He would love to do a tandem but is concerned with the opening shock from the canopy damaging the rods in his back. He will get a clearance from his doctor but was wondering if anyone out there (instructor or student) has had any experience with this?

Thanks for any help.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I have recently started skydiving (60 jumps to date) and have rods and screws T12 to T10 inserted three years ago. I am 49 so had to have a doctors certificate of fitness before my AFF, my doctor contacted the BPA medical advisor before signing me fit to jump. The BPA advice notes to doctors explain the possible forces involved to non skydiving doctors. I would say and it's only my opinion, if they are physically fit and comfortable to jump off a 6ft wall and are not of a generally fragile disposition, they should be fine. BUT I'd say you both need to make an informed decision - it's not a risk free sport.

NB. The only trouble I have is with flexibility - not sure how much that is attributed to a fat gut! Life without beer, now that's scary![:/]

It can definitely be done, but osteoporosis is a concern with paraplegics and there is a huge difference between a paraplegic who has remained fit an active and a paraplegic who hasn't been strengthening his/her bones via exercise, diet and stressing the tissue.

Age is probably a factor as well.

I'm fused L4-T12.