A-DZ

Dropzones that will take quadraplegics for tandems?

Hello! I'm a new skydiver, USPA B license with 100+ jumps. I have a friend who would like to try a tandem skydive. He is quadraplegic, with some upper body movement, i.e. he can move his arms though has difficulty controlling his hands and fingers with precision.

He is a tough guy (he's done two wheelchair marathons and driven the entire Karakorum highway solo.)

Skydive Dubai already told him 'no.' Are there any DZs and instructors who are already experienced with this and could offer him a shot?

Thanks for any tips you could give!

Allison
"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." - Richard Bach, Illusions

There are a decent number in the US that would at least evaluate him for a jump. I don't know about other countries closer to you.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks for all the info already! My friend is from Pakistan, so he probably wouldn't visit North America in the next few months, but if he knew of a DZ where he could possibly do this he could start planning and touching base with them, and finding time to do a trip. (One of his marathons was in NYC years ago.)

I'll pass on all this info to him! Thanks again, and keep it coming!

Cheers,

Allison
"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." - Richard Bach, Illusions

Thanks for all the info already! My friend is from Pakistan, so he probably wouldn't visit North America in the next few months, but if he knew of a DZ where he could possibly do this he could start planning and touching base with them, and finding time to do a trip. (One of his marathons was in NYC years ago.)

I'll pass on all this info to him! Thanks again, and keep it coming!

Cheers,

Allison

Just have to understand that the USA is the most progressive country in the world as far as parachuting with disabilities. It's your best bet. Look at Russia... they won't allow deaf people to skydive. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Would be curious as to why you got refused at SD. I know they have plenty of capable instructors over there. Always an individual decision. Keep looking and I'm pretty sure you will find the right person to work with ya. I have taken blind paraplegics before and have to admire their faith. He came back for another.

I know quite a few really good instructors that work at SD. Curious why they said no? Plenty have done it including myself. Depending on where ya live, find a local DZ. Better to have a turbine for the big door. be sure the harness is tight and no assist from anyone without a LOT of practice. It can be done safely.