pandamonium

Acetabulum (Left hip joint) fracture

Howdy,

I had a hip fracture that banged up my left hip socket (acetabulum) about 11 years ago in a car accident. I had to have about 10 pins and 2 plates installed to help me get back on my feet again. I feel great, and really only have small pain the next day (1 on a 1-10 scale) when I have to lift heavy objects. I think its more muscle fatigue because I tend to protect my left leg by depending on my right leg more. My doctor said I shouldn’t have “routine impact to lower extremities.” Other than that, I have no other limitations given by my doctor. Inevitably I’ll have to have a hip replacement between 20-30 years from the impact. I don’t run, but I walk a lot. I keep my weight manageable, and am 5’10” around 220 lbs. I could afford to lose a bit and get less than 200 lbs.

I’m just starting out my skydiving career and love it. I had a wonderful opportunity to go down to Z-Hills and get my A-license over a 2 week vacation. I just did my 28th jump this last weekend and feel great. I do get that muscle fatigue/pain I described the next day after I jump. I think it mostly comes from the opening shock from the canopy.

I wanted to post here to ask a few questions. No, it’s not medical questions I know I need to see an orthopedic doctor and get advice.

1. Does anyone else have the same situation that I have?
2. Are there ways to ease hip impact on chute deployment? I’ve thought maybe grabbing my chest strap and somewhat “flexing” to reduce the impact.
3. Are there container systems that may provide more hip support? Is there anything I can wear underneath to help this? I know I don’t want to restrict movement, but I think a happy medium can be achieved.
4. Am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for the input,
Chris
I hate landing in planes.

Have you had a bone scan to see what shape they're in?
If you've got 28 jumps and haven't reinjured it good. But have you thought of a terminal reserve opening because of a total? How about an off airport landing or on a concrete runway?
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I had a minor acetabulum fracture (from skydiving) that didn't require any surgical stabilization. I know a bit about the field as an outsider too.

Make sure you focus on becoming a top-notch lander, with nice soft fluffy landings. Choose canopies and jumping conditions that enhance that. Realize that in some of the fringe events (extra hard opening, bad landing on runway, etc) that you will suffer greater injury than someone without your prior history and figure out if that is OK with you.

Lastly, I hope this doesn't sound harsh but making things easier on your hip everyday by losing weight will probably have a much better overall effect for you than trying to do funky things to offload your hip in the air. Increased muscle strength around the joint will also help a lot more than in-air contortions. Get to the point where you aren't favoring the 11 year old injury, but rather expecting it to perform its full role and succeeding. Bracing a joint with your own muscle strength is the ideal, not something you strap on. Either your hip can handle routine skydiving, or you should really consider whether setting yourself up for an earlier hip replacement is OK with you or not. You pretty much only get two shots at replacing a hip, and then there is not too much that they can do for you. Determine your own personal cost/benefit ratio and make your choice.

Have you had a bone scan to see what shape they're in?
If you've got 28 jumps and haven't reinjured it good. But have you thought of a terminal reserve opening because of a total? How about an off airport landing or on a concrete runway?

I did my checkups up until 3 years. Everything with the X-ray's looked awesome.

I haven't hurt at all since my recovery overall other than what I described. I have been meaning to have a checkup, but really didn't have a reason to warrant a doctor visit/x-ray bill. With this in light, I think I'm going to consider it MUCH more.

Like I said, what I'm feeling isn't abnormal. I seldom have pain that can be associated with some type of physical activity

Thank you!

I've got the same input from someone else who has had the same type of injury. Being that I'm new to this sport, landing is something I need to improve on. I consider my hip each and every time I decide to jump. I understand that I'm at a greater risk than a person who hasn't had this type of injury.

As far a the other bit of advice, I don't consider it harsh at all. I know I can do better, and improve my overall health and abilities by working out more. I've taken this advice in a positive manner.

Thanks everyone so far for the feedback.

-Chris

I had a minor acetabulum fracture (from skydiving) that didn't require any surgical stabilization. I know a bit about the field as an outsider too.

Make sure you focus on becoming a top-notch lander, with nice soft fluffy landings. Choose canopies and jumping conditions that enhance that. Realize that in some of the fringe events (extra hard opening, bad landing on runway, etc) that you will suffer greater injury than someone without your prior history and figure out if that is OK with you.

Lastly, I hope this doesn't sound harsh but making things easier on your hip everyday by losing weight will probably have a much better overall effect for you than trying to do funky things to offload your hip in the air. Increased muscle strength around the joint will also help a lot more than in-air contortions. Get to the point where you aren't favoring the 11 year old injury, but rather expecting it to perform its full role and succeeding. Bracing a joint with your own muscle strength is the ideal, not something you strap on. Either your hip can handle routine skydiving, or you should really consider whether setting yourself up for an earlier hip replacement is OK with you or not. You pretty much only get two shots at replacing a hip, and then there is not too much that they can do for you. Determine your own personal cost/benefit ratio and make your choice.

Hey, just thought I’d give you an update just in case someone else had a similar issue in the future. I went to an orthopedic doctor today just to talk with him about my concerns. This doctor also is centered on sports medicine, so he was able to listen and give me positive feedback. The X-ray’s looked REALLY good. He was impressed with how I’ve taken care of my injury over a course of 11 years. He told me to really focus on landings. He thinks most of the “discomfort” I feel is associated with muscle strength. He said to still continue being mindful and cautious of my injury; exactly how I have been with my hip so far. He also mentioned that my joint that’s been fixed is no stronger/weaker than my good joint. He said if I understand the risk, and the greater possibility to arthritis, that I should be safe under normal skydiving procedures. Again, LANDINGS were the most of his concern.

He compared me skydiving to me being a Marathon runner. I have an injury, I’ll have limitations. Should I run a Marathon…should I run at all? Probably not, but enjoy life. Should I skydive 10 times a day on Saturday and Sunday…probably not, but accept the risk and enjoy life. I’d like to do 10 skydives a day EVERY day, but I have already put limitations on myself because I know how I feel afterwards.

I didn’t mention this earlier, but I’ve lost 30 lbs this year so far, and still want to get less than 200lbs. I’m going to keep that goal in mind as I go forward. The doctor also mentioned doing a bit of physical therapy to focus on strength and flexibility.

I feel comfortable and physically capable to safely skydive. I have also considered and accept the risk of arthritis, because the payoff is worth it. I absolutely love this sport.

Thanks for the feedback and considerations. See you in the sky soon!
-Chris

I'm not an expert, but I had been jumping regular for over 30 years with a man made hip replacement & a amputation on the same leg. I weighed in at 175 Lbs. & 5'11" & always tried to stay in shape.
I managed to get a couple thousand jumps.
What I did wrong was gong 35 years on the hip replacement when I should have listened to original advice of doctors telling me 20 + years is the limit.
After breaking my femur on the way home from DZ I was laid low after 45 years. I ended up getting expert orthopedic care, replacing hip & femur twice.
I have absolutly no regrets going for the max skydives!
OLd retired Air Trash, POE #6

Chris, great to hear! Great job on the 30 pounds too. My comment on weight was two-fold: landing with less weight is less stress on the joint, and day to day life is less stress on the joint. I know that higher weights lead to shorter lives on hip replacements, so if you ever need to go that route things are easier on you if you are already down to a nice weight. Plus, it seems like more weight is related to needing a replacement in general, so even outside of skydiving that is a good thing for you.

As you get further into jumping, see if the pain on the left side gets better or not. For me, pushing my prior limits left me really sore but so long as I was doing it in a nice balanced way it built up the strength to make it better in the future. If it works that way for you, great! If it stays the same or gets worse it might be worth working with a physical therapist to get exercises to bring that hip back to above-normal function.

Either way, plot your course and enjoy the ride!

I have a full hip after a motorcycle accident (driver pulled out in front of me and hit it feet first broad side). I still have 2 plates and 5 screws of which 4 others were removed and 18 other screws.

I have had no issues with jumping although my doctors question any activity that could possibly re-injure my hip. I figured that I spent enough time being bored and unenthusiastic about how my life was going post trauma and figured it was time to live again.

My rationalization is that on a sport bike, hard immovable objects can come out of nowhere. Whe skydiving I have a very real understanding of where that hard immovable object is at all times and it isnt talking on a cell phone, putting on make up or falling asleep.

more than 1 jump should prove that you are okay.

These are all awesome stories. I'm glad their are more people with the same scenario I'm faced with. I actually went to 2 Physical Therapy sessions after my appointment a few weeks ago. (Most of the stuff I can do on my own after I was taught some exercises/stretches) We worked on muscle and flexibility. I think I found the culprit. It's my Iliotibial band. The Therapist stretched it properly and everything I talked about "streched out." Totally agree with knowing what elements are presented in front of you during skydiving. I to rode a bike a few years ago. People don't know what they do until they see what they do in position of a motorcycle.

I just did 3 jumps this last weekend at Mile-Hi, I don't plan on quitting any time soon.

Blue skies,
Chris

These are all awesome stories. I'm glad their are more people with the same scenario I'm faced with. I actually went to 2 Physical Therapy sessions after my appointment a few weeks ago. (Most of the stuff I can do on my own after I was taught some exercises/stretches) We worked on muscle and flexibility. I think I found the culprit. It's my Iliotibial band. The Therapist stretched it properly and everything I talked about "streched out." Totally agree with knowing what elements are presented in front of you during skydiving. I to rode a bike a few years ago. People don't know what they do until they see what they do in position of a motorcycle.

I just did 3 jumps this last weekend at Mile-Hi, I don't plan on quitting any time soon.

Blue skies,
Chris

Im happy to find people that have been through the same horrible experience and are still here to live again :)

We can all probably agree that we arent gonna be flying uber small canopies, swooping and hooking but we can still have fun during freefall and most importantly LIVE OUR LIVES!!!

I can speak for myself and probably all here that the time spent in the hospital and all the surgeries as well as the grave warnings from your Ortho keep you from doing anything that would put you in that position again.

I was hurt in June of 2007. I was 26 and on top of the world when I was hurt. It destroyed my life. The injury led to a divorce, credit problems and the pain ooh the pain. A few months ago I was doing my usual Youtubing on the weekend and living vicariously though all the people having fun doing all the sports I used to when I saw Jeb Corlis. I watched all his videos over and over again and said to myself, "YES!! I have to do that!! I dont care how but I will fly like a bird nor hell or high water Im going to do it!"

It took me two weeks to work up the nerve to make my AFF appointment.

In the last 5 years, this is the first time Ive started to enjoy my life again. Im older and almost all of my "friends" I had, found better people to spend their time with than a mid twenty year old guy having to use a walker. This time living without the tight knit group I had before, gave me clarity that I need to live for myself and not wait for friends to do it with me. Its tough to be isolated like that after an accident and your whole social circle dissolves as you sit in the hospital but what an awakening to defy the Drs that said you may die during surgery, that you may not walk after you lived through that and then to be told that you cant do any sports for risk of re-injuring yourself.

Even after 3 jumps it has really changed my life and I hope we all can keep waking up hungry for more!

I definitely won’t be doing any swooping or proximity flying. I enjoy everything I’ve done in skydiving so far. I think it will keep me entertained for a long time. I do eventually want to get into wingsuiting, I figure I’ve already paid for the ticket up and I might as well get more out of it. My accident was in 2002, luckily I had good family to always keep me positive. I do have a handful, say 5 friends, that were there and thankfully are still here hanging out with me. It’s amazing who sticks around sometimes doesn’t it? Sometimes the people you don’t think will be there are their more than those you thought would be….did that make sense?!? I too was faced with the first doctor saying things don’t look good and you may never walk again. People don’t know I’ve had a major fracture until I tell them. Hint: Don’t put your foot on the dash as a passenger. :D
I can honestly say that skydiving is ONE of the factors that make this part of my life the highlight of my 30 years on this planet. Everything has come together after a lot going in my life as well. Skydiving has given me the ability to truly appreciate life to its fullest. I think that level is different for everyone, and when you find it it’s amazing. Kind of like that feeling of riding a bike all alone for the first time.

Weight is an important factor in general health and, in this case, likelyhood of active sports-related injuries, especially in those with prior injures and/or prosthetics. What constitues a safe/healthy weight varies from individual to individual. General guidelines can be found at:

http://www.calculator.net/weight-loss-calculator.html