RedRogue

Visually impaired looking for instructor to help get certified to jump solo

Hello, I am looking into finding an instructor that would be willing to teach me how to skydive. I have a rare eye condition called aniridia, which basically means I don't have the eye color so extremely light sensitive. So I would need to wear tinted goggles or helmet when jumping. I'm completely blind in right eye and have 2400/20 vision in left eye, vision is blurred but can see well enough see another person in front of me and during my first tandem was able to tell where I was in relation to DZ. My bf who is licensed went over with me the aerial of the DZ and I was able to memorize what was around the area (golf course, etc.).
I live in Baltimore and am really interested in finding an instructor to help me get my license so I can begin this hobby with my bf. If anyone can help me find an instructor close to me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Faith

Many years ago a friend of mine made a few jumps. Her vision was similarly compromised (dunno why, but she was emphatically legally blind). In those days it was static line; the DZ looked a whole lot bigger at 3000' and was in a predictable place.

Something to think about.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am already emailing Faith to get more information on her vision, as I can help both with that and the instructor end of things. I have a good friend that's an instructor in her area that would most likely be willing to work with her, and I can take care of the visual mods if necessary. I have taught a legally blind skydiver. I'd do the jumps myself, but am out of commission til spring with a knee injury :S

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda