rpicking

Diabetic (Tandem Jump)

I'm scheduled to go on my first jump this coming Sunday and I've been desperately trying to find a place to ask a question. I've talked to my doctor and he gave me the normal that if I cut myself or get an abrasion that it's harder for it to heal when you're a diabetic. And he gave the high risk philosophical statement and it was like I wasn't asking that. I know the high risk. Anyways I talked to the Dropzone and they told that it wouldn't interere as much as any other moderate activity.

Now here is what I'm asking. I've been a diabetic probably for about 1 1/2 to 2 years now and I have not been disciplined with medicine and stuff and my numbers are pretty high at times - 220 to almost 300 at times.

My question is this. Should I be jumping with high numbers and pretty much uncontrolled numbers?!? Should I wait till my numbers are lower and under control?

I don't have an anxiety about jumping I guess it's about jumping with diabeties that is NOT under control??!?

one of my friends is diabetic.he jumps on a regular basis. he controls his levels with the finger prick tool. when he is at the dz, he is careful, because he feels the adrenaline can alter his levels. jumping is fine, just get yourself under control first...

Now here is what I'm asking. I've been a diabetic probably for about 1 1/2 to 2 years now and I have not been disciplined with medicine and stuff and my numbers are pretty high at times - 220 to almost 300 at times.

My question is this. Should I be jumping with high numbers and pretty much uncontrolled numbers?!? Should I wait till my numbers are lower and under control?

I don't have an anxiety about jumping I guess it's about jumping with diabeties that is NOT under control??!?

I'm assuming that you mean that you're a Type-1 diabetic. My sister was diagnosed when she was around 10 years old. She ran track in HS and college, and has participated in many activities more physically demanding than skydiving without issue. So obviously it can be done.

HOWEVER, you mention that you are having difficulty controlling your blood sugars. Moderately high blood sugar levels may not pose an immediate risk, but LOW levels absolutely do. Using my sister as an example, by 60 she appears confused and by 40 she's seizing. If "uncontrolled numbers" can include being low, then my suggestion would be to wait until you have things better under control. You don't know how your body is going to react to the added stress and adrenaline of a first-time skydive, and you don't want to find out the hard way.

That said, your doctor is really the only person qualified to give you advice on this.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
--Mario Andretti

I meant to respond to this earlier, but since the day came and went, how did it go?

Bottom line is always this: consult your doctor (preferably an endocrinologist) who is familiar with you, your treatment regimen, and your symptoms. Inform them about the sport, because they aren't likely to have other skydiving patients, and heed the advice they give you.

With the understanding that my diabetes is assuredly different than yours, and the caveat that I am both a novice skydiver and not a doctor: Do I understand correctly that you asked your doc about this and he was only worried about abrasions healing? If that was the feedback I received from my doc, I personally would be comfortable jumping, but it's about your comfort level and safety. I spoke to my endocrinologist after it became clear that I would be continuing to jump after my AFF level one. I've been diabetic for over 25 years, and am very comfortable with my management (I'm type 1.5, managed with diet, exercise, and medication), but I still checked with the doc. She isn't thrilled, but that's just her matronly disapproval; my highs and lows are very moderate, and don't result in symptoms that would be dangerous in the middle of a skydive, such as dizziness, blurred vision, or loss of consciousness...

My advice:
1. consult your doc(s). listen to what they tell you.
2. if (and only if) doc gives you the green light, be sure to drink water, eat appropriately, and check your blood sugar throughout the day of jumping.
3. wear gloves and a jumpsuit with long pants.
4. if you feel an ear-ache, ground yourself. We as diabetics are also prone to infections - I've had a couple ear infections since I started skydiving.
5. Enjoy, and welcome to the sport!

Tim

I'm assuming that you mean that you're a Type-1 diabetic.

People w/ type 1 diabetes are born with it. see his remarks below. Unless he's 1 t/ 1.5 yrs. old, he's a type 2 diabetic.

I do not reccomend you let your sugar levels get that high without the proper medication to treat the sugar levels down. All you have to do is treat your sugar levels with a sliding scale and always have pre-filled flex pens to administer Levemir & Novolog on hand. The pre-filled flex pens are easy to use and no sweat to carry with you where ever you go. Good Luck!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Bingo...I couldn't agree more. I am also a diabetic who has been jumping regularly for 5 years. I have very strict diet & hit the gym 4 days a week. I never jump without gloves, sleeves, pants & full face helmet. Even in southeast Texas in the summer! I check my sugar many times during the day when i'm jumping. Talk to your doctor but it is very very do-able. You just gotta be disciplined. Good luck!!

I am type 1 diabetic and I was diagnosed when I was 26, active duty military and in the best shape of my life. Type 1 means your pancreas does not produce insulin, you can be diagnosed at any age. They used to refer to it as juvenile diabetes because it was mainly diagnosed in children, that is beginning to change so they have started calling it type 1. I jump with it, but I just check my sugar a lot, and eat as needed. The adrenaline speeds your metabolism up so account for that as well. It could cause any recent insulin you have given yourself to metabolize quicker, leading to a low. of course you can jump, you just have one more thing to remember when getting ready! Have fun

I am also a type 1 diabetic. I have only done tandom jumps (2 of them yeah im a little slow at getting around to doing more).

Not to scold you, but they higher numbers can cause MANY problems later in life (blindness, failure of organs, amputations. blah blah blah.. i know your dr has probably warned you. (sorry).

Now back to the question. test, test, test. Im on a pump. when i jumped i would test before and after my jump. I would also suspend my pump so i dont have a chance of going low during my jump. I would test and do any correction needed once i landed. I know the waivers at the DZ i went to said something about diabetics (yeah i overlooked that one :) )

mototryph1

The adrenaline speeds your metabolism up so account for that as well. It could cause any recent insulin you have given yourself to metabolize quicker, leading to a low.

Very important! It's easy to give insulin to lower your level but much harder to raise when you are not equipped. I'm sure that you know this but always carry some form of sugar with you.

I have been a type I Diabetic for 36 years and when I am at the dropzone I always have a small bag of sugar cubes on my person at all times. I also let my blood sugar level run a little higher when I am jumping and I always test my level 20 minutes or so prior to loading the plane.

people w/ type 1 diabetes are born with it. see his remarks below. Unless he's 1 t/ 1.5 yrs. old, he's a type 2 diabetic.

False, they stopped calling it Juvenile years ago. I have plenty of friends that are type 1 and became so in their 30's.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

^^ THAT!

I was originally diagnosed as a Type II diabetic in October of '11. In May of last year, that diagnoses changed and I am now an insulin dependent Type I. I am 47. ;)
Keep a eye on your levels, have quick acting insulin and some form of glucose on hand and you should be fine. B|

I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313