Starbanger

Dislocated shoulder

I'm glad they fixed yours and you're good to go. What kind of surgery did they do? How long did it take till you started jumping again? Thanks for your post

I dislocated mine skateboarding, lived with instability over teh next 10 years and it was livable - except when I found out about skydiving. I was a static line student and on my first 10 second delay it dislocated on opening.

I had surgery in November, returned to work and skydiving in March, and now have almost 800 jumps. Get it taken care of, it's worth the wait!

For the record I had a labrum tear referred to as a Bankart Lesion and tendon stretching as well due to going many years without surgery. Today, my bad left shoulder definitely feels like it is more restricted than the other one, but I have never had a sensation of it wanting to dislocate post-op. YMMV
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Hello Guys,

I am looking forward to my first jump but it hit me that I have had a shoulder dislocation before..

I will be doing Tandem jump for sure.. But my question is..

Will my arm dislocate during 1) Free Fall or 2) jumping out of the plane?

I notice the usual pose in the air is hands outwards by the side.. which is a pose that my doctor adviced me not to have..

(I have had multiple dislocation and fixed it via surgery 1 year ago)

Let me know if I can still do the jump please!!

Thanks!

Hey well welcome to the club. I'm in your same shoes for the most part, except I havent gotten surgery yet. If you had surgery, and if you done some PT to strengthen that shoulder than I would think you're good to go. You might want to try the wind tunnel. Read some of the previous posts, it might help you. Good luck.

I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Only way could possibly be is learn how to fly in the tunnel and make sure that you learn such a way to do so, and it is possible to fly all axis without shoulder dislocaton, I've know couple tunnel instructor with dislocating shoulder.

Even than learn how to pop em back in, so that if someone with rough dock pulls your arm out you can pop it back in under canopy.

Stay under big canopy or learn how to fly it with one arm with big docile one.

I would not wanna fly my current canopy with one arm.

This is my biggest fear and I haven't really practiced up high yet, even tho I practice flying backwards all the time.

If you have to proceed with emergency procedure you better hope that you do not have dislocated shoulder at the time.

In fact this is my first question that I ask my first jump course student, so that I don't end up wasting my time, "have you ever had shoulder dislocation?,"
Bernie Sanders for President 2016