Jockeyshifter63

Colostomy

A few years ago I had a bypass colostomy that was reversed after a year. My wife and I started jumping this year and it looks like this is part of our lives now. There is a very real possibility I will end up with permanent colostomy. Does anyone know of someone who jumped with a bag frequently? If so could I get in contact with them? I will be away from the forum for a couple of days but will check in then. Thanks.

You may check with your doctor and see if you are a candidate for colostomy irrigation. Some people find that the process, which uses an enema through the stoma, clears the colon for the day and a bag may not be necessary.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

Dude, if you need to you can find a way.

Skydivers tend to overhype the "air expands at altitude" thing; I think we do it just to justify farting on the plane. :)
To convince yourself, do this: next jump at altitude, take a ziploc bag with you. Put just a tiny bit of air in it, to simulate the amount of air that might remain in your bag after you diligently "wrung it out" on the ground prior to gear-up. Then take it with you to altitude and see how much it expands. I bet it'll be less than you expect, and should dispel some fears about jumping with an ostomy bag.

Elvisio "ICU RN who learned the hard way the value of burping the bag" Rodriguez

I am going to try that. Love the idea of a simple experiment. With all the operations and a very small colon right now I actually am very careful what I eat the day before and just dont eat the day I jump til after the planes are down.
The value of burping the bag line is funny. Ya just gotta laugh at this shit or you will die crying. I have a couple of funny stories 'bout the burping.

I was going to make up a bumper sticker that said......"Get offa my ass or I'll throw my colostomy bag on your windshield". My wife stopped me but I still think it would be funny!:P

A quick Google search brought me to this page:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-density-volume-d_195.html

About halfway down the page, under the title "Altitude and Specific Volume Correction" there is a list of altitudes and correction factors. For example, at 9900 feet it lists a factor of 1.39, or about a 40% increase.

At first glance that might seem like a lot, and if your ostomy bag was full of gas to begin with, it could be trouble. But, again, if you're careful to empty the bag first, that 40% on top of the small amount of gas left in your bag after you empty it should be no problem.

Elvisio "shoulda done my homework in the first post" Rodriguez

I have just turned 17 and have been jumping for a few months already and I have a permanent colostomy. I have had no problems with it so far and I notice no difference while jumping from 14,000ft compared to a hop and pop. The only thing I have found is to make sure the bottom of the bag is not tucked under the leg strap. This happened to me during a high speed reserve deployment and the shock nearly pulled the bag off. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I hope all goes well for you.

hey!....

i have suffered with Crohn's disease for 35 yrs., the last 5 yrs. have permanent colostomy.

Have had no problem with my stoma & skydiving.
ya just gotta luv that!!! :PB|:P

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.