cjg

Deaf .. CI User .. Advise for freefall

Hello , I only just recently did a tandem jump. However I have caught the bug.

I am deaf , but use a cochlear implant.

If you did not know I was deaf , you would have a hard time telling. The CI allows me to have normal conversations and even use the phone.

It is two parts , the external device that hooks over the ear , and uses a magnet ( not VERY strong ) to send signals to the actual internal implant.

Anyone else dive with one , and if so how do you keep it attached.

During my tandem , my instructor was able to put the processor ( the external device ) in his pocket , and hand it to me after opening. Worked great. and likely thats how I would fly with it latter in my diving career.

However during training , I would feel much more comfortable using a helmet ( the DZ I am planing on traing with requires it also , I think ) . Does anyone else dive with one , and can advise of a model / brand / style that may be best to keep the coil placement ?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Duct tape has a quite a variety of practical uses in skydiving...

HAHAH .. Might end up loosing a bit of hair when I take it off. :S

But I guess it might actually work ..

In Fact I just had an idea. Perhaps a real tight fitting cap , or even a stocking. Might work to keep it in place under my helmet.

You're not the first CI skydiver. There was a girl from Louisiana who jumped for a while with a CI, though she stowed the aid in her gear bag when going on a jump.

The only times I have ever worn my hearing aid (twice) was on a demo jump with a large crowd where I thought it would be nice to be able to hear them cheering (it was a hop and pop). The other time I didn't use a helmet and my goggle strap was looped over the aid, and the risers still almost knocked it off on deployment. I never wore the aid again on jumps.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You might look at a balaclava to wear under your helmet to help hold it in place. There is also a new thing that goes under helmets that looks like a cap with finger loops below the ear flaps. It was invented to take the helmet off by pulling on the loops that hold the cap, instead of yanking the helmet up.
You need to check the receiver to see if it picks up wind noise and is compatible with the student radios if your DZ uses them.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Helmets are required for students. The available student helmets where I trained were tired, old, & GROSS. The foam liners were often worn so badly. You would risk losing the external part of your CI. Most skydiving helmets have internal Audible pockets. They will hold your unit in place securely. If you like, you could buy a Sky System's Benny. They're cheap @$65, & have a large Audible pocket that nothing will fall out of until you remove the helmet. Good Luck in your training :)

Well, while I am not deaf, my youngest son is. He has dual implants and is 3. I don't know if this will help you or not, but here is some of the stuff I learned while trying to keep 2 CI's on a three year old.

Whig tape. When we take him in for hair cuts and in-between cuts, we keep the area right behind his ears shaved. Then we use the tape to keep the outside pieces secure to his head. Whig tape is like double sided scotch tape only a lot stronger. We use the brand Topstick and cut it down to fit on to the processor.
http://www.wigwarehouse.com/TopStick-Tape-p/vapsd150.htm

As far as helmets, I have to find pliable helmets with a soft liner. They will fit over his head without knocking the magnet around, to bad anyway. A soft foam inside keeps the magnets from being pushed into his head.

In Skydiving, the only thing that I have seen that comes close to something that would probably work that I have seen are the Frap hats:
http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p521.asp

Though not really a full on helmet. I would talk to your instructor to make sure that he is OK with it before you use one.

Good luck to you. The Skydiving bug is hard to cure once you catch it. Only thing left to do is jump.:ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Thanks for all the ideas guys ..

I have already ordered a benny helmet .. And I remembered I have a balaclava type thing in my closet that I bought a few years ago on a ski trip. I think that will work well. ( I hope )

Also , talked to some of the guys at the DZ , it seems like they may have a headphone jack on the radios which I can plug directly into.
As for the 3 year old with bilateral implants .. Its nice that you were able to get them both installed while he is still young. I have only had mine for less then a year , and am looking to do the other ear shortly ( as soon as the recall for cochlear america is over .. ) But I digress... I will be looking into that wig tape stuff.. it sounds like it will help.

Also the instrutor I spoke to , said that the radio is actually the backup and that the primary mode of talking to a student under canopy is flags and hand signals. So that should be simple , even if I cant find a way to keep my CI on during free fall.

Now .. can someone push the earth around the sun quicker .. I cant wait for spring so I can start jumping !!!!

-Chris

I wear hearing aids in both ears and have always worn them jumping. I've never had a problem with any open face or full face or frap hat. They all work fine and I've never been concerned with lossing them as long as the helmet is snug. Well, except for once when I forgot to snap the helmet closed:$ I felt it coming off and was able to keep it on with one hand until I deployed.

I've had my implant for 20 years, had it when I was 13. Have done 280 jumps so far, never wore the external processor in freefall, no point because of wind noise and no need to risk damaging an expensive piece of equipment, even though I would get a free replacement (NHS aid) which might not be the case for you USAians.

G'day from DownUnder! I'm helping my wife's 3 friends who have CI, looks forward tandem skydiving in 2 months time. They're planning to jump at 15,000 ft... Does this affect the implant?
For some reason aussie doctors have small limited knowledges about skydiving restriction heights.