jwynne

input on knee replacement

I had an ACL replacement about 5 years ago. The same knee has been causing me a lot of pain. I just had an MRI and was told there's not much meniscus or cartilage left. The doctor told me that I should be considering a knee replacement. I'm a pretty active skydiver, making 300-400 jumps a year and competing in 4way and 8way. I associate knee replacements with old people relearning how to walk.

I'm hoping to hear from some athletes that have had knee replacements. What kind of limitations did they have? How long were they down? How was their knee function after replacement?

Thanks in advance - Janna

A close friend of mine (doesn't skydive, but rides a motorcycle and is very active) had both knees done at the same time and 3 months later, we spent the day at bike week, walking around for at least 8 hours. He was over weight and had he lost weight before the surgery, would have done even better.

Be sure to get a surgeon who only does knees and lots. My friends Dr only does knees and did 200 last year. Rehab is critical to a good recovery. His walk is normal now. Before the surgery he walked like an old person.
Dano

Do some research on knee resurfacing, the FDA hasn't OK ed their use in the US yet, But it's much less invasive & recovery is but a faction.
Oh , the cost is even less.
the whole idea of cutting off the jiont,instead of just the broken down surface,seems a bit much to me!!
Hope this helps

Janna,

Had mine done 5 years ago. Have about 2000 jumps on it most of them tandems. I do everything BUT run and mountain bike. Range of motion is better than when I had my ACL done. I can do yoga..
Ski without a brace and most important..No Pain..Did 29 tandems this past weekend. PM me for more info.
Cheers,

MJ

Janna,
I had a full joint replacement on my knee 7 years ago. Was grounded for 6 months from jumping.
I can do everything better with the new one except go through airports. Get a good doctor and do the rehab and you should be fine. No more pain!

Flip
Flip

I had an acl replacement a year ago. I also have extensive cartilage and meniscus damage. I am probably going to have a meniscus transplant, as well as an allograft plug in my articular cartilage. I am opting for this because I'm only 31 and knee replacements only last 10 years or so. Maybe that is something to ask your doctor about.
http://3ringnecklace.com/