gimpboogie

Flying In The Mist_ documentary coming out soon

http://vimeo.com/25950478

The 1st trailer for the movie, a documentary about the last yr of my life (with glimpses to the past, from days when I was not in a chair).
Also below is one of the 2 posters for the movie.

I this is the 1st documentary of a paralyzed female skydiver that I've found out of. Although the movie is not specific about skydiving with disabilities, it naturally comes out in the movie.

It is to be a perspective about disability such as mine, with a perspective of hope, of positive energy... which is why I'm personally not a huge fan of that particular trailer as you may see if you have a look.
I do like the beginning and the endingB|

The website for the movie is being created now, and premiere showing soon in Toronto, before it begins touring the continent and on to Europe.

Currently it is being submitted to several film festivals abroad as this producer has won international film festival award for his documentary called 'Just One Shot'.

Hope you enjoy a quick skydiving scene, *the full movie has a much better idea of life on a DZ :ph34r:
as it is a documentary of my life after all, and I live at a DZ so naturally skydiving and DZ life in general is portrayed... positively for sure... kept it clean :) except for the pie-ying we have in scene :P
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I look foward to seeing the movie. "Flying in the Mist", awesome title!

Sorry to read about your injury. Im glad you posted it for others to learn from (and for you to learn from too).

An inspiration you are!

Heal up and get up there! Blue skies are a waiting!

Thank you for the encouraging words.. and for supporting me in writing about my injury.

I was discouraged from posting about it, for several reasons mostly because people said as soon as it is learned that a paraplegic skydiver got hurt landing, the 'scare' will be set forth and other DZO's will be reluctant to let others like me start to learn.

After debating it for almost a month, I decided that the risk was greater for me NOT to disclose it- because this accident had a lot -mostly- to do with the specific gear that I use. 2 other paraplegics are using the same type of gear (one flies currently, while the other used to, and is going to be getting back into the sport).
Also the gear that I use, (and the other 2), is being displayed as the 'way to do it' in the manual created by Rod Mack- so it is now in a manual as a way to teach others.

So I began to feel that if this happened to me, it can happen to someone else- and possibly worse then my situation... I can not sit back and keep this away from the 'public record' because if someone else gets hurt under the same circumstances I would feel horrid for not having brought this up for discussion.

I appreciate your support in my decision to disclose my injury and circumstances around it.
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

At first I wasint sure what to say and probably still am not...But good on your....Alot of people in far easier situations would give up. You are stronger than a hell of alot of people out there. Keep doing what you are doing and know that you are an asset to this sport.. I look forward to seeing your movie

Looks like a great movie. When will it be available in the states?

As a nurse, I work with several kids that are in chairs from traumatic injuries and I would love to be able to show this to them.

At this time I do not know.
That was just the 1st trailer of several
(and not my favorite one by all means- because to me- asides from the beginning and the end- it wasn't very hopeful in the beginning- but I suppose for a health care or `patient`audience it was fine)

Yet I thought to toss it up, as its going to have a very positive view of a DZ
*sure its my DZ but those scenes apply everywhere I`d think*
- with some scenes of the camaraderie of jumpers after a jump in the packing area, and shows the fellow jumpers lifting me up into the skyvan-which represents aspects of DZ life
- we give each other a helping hand daily in this sport-and trust each other seriously, from gear checks to diving our plans.

The skydiving scene is there predominantly to show the wuffo audiences that something they think not possible- can be.
As I still have some who work with me, after 4 yrs of me skydiving, last week one saw the trailer and said ``oh gosh! you jump alone, I thought you were always attached to someone``

So it is not a documentary about a skydiver with a disability but rather a documentary of living life as one envisions it, and modifying ways of living to bring the disability along for the ride.
Which I see as the attitude of the skydivers currently whom I know have a disability- so perhaps even this perspective seems represents the attitude of many of us- although I really hate getting into the realm of 'speaking for' anyone else.

The process is 'unpredictable' from here, although we have a proposed timeline of trying to get it out by this fall here in Canada.
It's going to some EU independent film festivals as a documentary currently.
As for the North America its really a matter of how quickly we can spread it across the continent- depending on demand ;)

There are some TV stations currently interested in showing it (it was created with a TV time slot in mind- so its about 45 min long). This could be an option for your clients.

As for showing it in health care settings, that didn't really occur to me- as this film is produced on a very low budget, like most independent films are. As such, the cost of 'advertising' it is a factor....

Certainly anyone who works in a place which may be open to considering that option, PM me and I will give you the producers contact information.

Once I know any dates, places etc. I will update the thread.
Thanks for your interest.